Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

02 Twin Cam shutting off after acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 07:22 PM
jcolesdad
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Twin Cam shutting off after acceleration

O.K. Here's my problem, maybe someone can help. I have a 2002 FLHPI(fuel injected electra glide police)with 30K miles. I have not owned it but a couple of months, so I don't know the full history of the bike. The bike cranks well and idles smooth. I can rev it up over and over with no problems. It runs good while riding and goes through the gears well, until I stop. Every time I stop the engine will shut off. It seem to do this worse if I run it a little hard before stopping. I have trained myself to keep the throttle slightly open when I stop to avoid having to restart the engine. Right now the bike has modified factory mufflers and a PC3 USB. The map on the PC is for a stock 02. I have played with changing the fuel a little but all it seems to do is make it run too rich. None of the settings seem to correct my problem. I havenot tried changing any of the timing values on the PC because the bikecranks and runs good, untilI stop. Anybody experienced a similiar situation or have anyideas?

Old 10-18-2007, 07:50 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 02 Twin Cam shutting off after acceleration

This is just a complete wild-*** guess, but could your PC-3 think the throttle plate is in some other position besides closed when it's closed? Have you verified the 0 and 100 percent throttle settings in the PC-3?

Old 10-19-2007, 02:12 AM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

Unplug the PCIII and runwithout it. If it`s fixed you know it`s the PCIII.
I have had this condition on 3 different bikes with the PCIII`s. It`s a common problem.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:52 PM
jcolesdad
Stage II

Thanks for the reply guys. Dr. Diesel, I tried running the bike without the PCIII, but still have the same problem. Anybody else?

Old 10-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Have the IAC steps checked with a digital tech.....the IAC motor could be going south. Just a thought

Old 10-19-2007, 06:03 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: jcolesdad

Thanks for the reply guys. Dr. Diesel, I tried running the bike without the PCIII, but still have the same problem. Anybody else?
Have you checked for any codes.
I helped someone else on this board by cleaning the IAC passage and the throttle body bore. Maybe you could try that as well. It`s also a common stalling problem. The coking buildup on the throttle body bore, plate and IAC track cause idle stability and hesitation issue`s. [:@] It`s common with all SPFI systems.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:35 PM
clutchglass
Road Master

ORIGINAL: drdiesel1

I have had this condition on 3 different bikes with the PCIII`s. It`s a common problem.
[/align]drdiesel1,[/align] Careful...it's not a "common problem" with the PCIII. He has now proved it's not the PCIII at all by disconnecting it.[/align]................"Break" jcolesdad,[/align] For future reference, the folks at www.fuelmottousa.com are a guy by the name of Jamie, and his wife. Both are fantastic people & will attempt to help with PCIII issues even if you didn't buy from them. You can't get better service than that anywhere. I'm interested to see what it turns out to be. You might want to give Jamie a call & ask what his thoughts are on it. Hope this helps[/align]-clutch-[/align]P.S. Jamie also does dyn tuning & can build a really close map & send it, just off your specs. It will probably cost for that, but hey...they have to eat too. [/align]

Old 10-19-2007, 06:39 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: clutchglass

ORIGINAL: drdiesel1

[/align]drdiesel1,[/align] Careful...it's not a "common problem" with the PCIII. He has now proved it's not the PCIII at all by disconnecting it.[/align]................"Break" jcolesdad,[/align] For future reference, the folks at www.fuelmottousa.com are a guy by the name of Jamie, and his wife. Both are fantastic people & will attempt to help with PCIII issues even if you didn't buy from them. You can't get better service than that anywhere. I'm interested to see what it turns out to be. You might want to give Jamie a call & ask what his thoughts are on it. Hope this helps[/align]-clutch-[/align]P.S. Jamie also does dyn tuning & can build a really close map & send it, just off your specs. It will probably cost for that, but hey...they have to eat too. [/align]
Sorry, but what he has proven is........... It`s not HIS PCIII. It`s still a common PCIII PROBLEM....Thanks.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:54 PM
clutchglass
Road Master

allllllllllllllllrighty then. Eating crow pie is harder for some than others I guess. That's all your gonna prove to me buddy. Just close your eyes & remember...the only perfect guy who ever walked the earth...got nailed to a cross. It makes it easier for me when I'm wrong (which is frequently...just ask my wife). Anyway, I've owned several & had quite a few friends with PCIIIs....never even heard of this issue once. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
-clutch-

Old 10-20-2007, 02:11 AM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: clutchglass

allllllllllllllllrighty then. Eating crow pie is harder for some than others I guess. That's all your gonna prove to me buddy. Just close your eyes & remember...the only perfect guy who ever walked the earth...got nailed to a cross. It makes it easier for me when I'm wrong (which is frequently...just ask my wife). Anyway, I've owned several & had quite a few friends with PCIIIs....never even heard of this issue once. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
-clutch-

That's cool. No problem.