Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

re mapping question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Kevinc
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: re mapping question

Thanks Ron,

By PC route do you mean HD Stage I download? By SERT do you mean SE mufflers?

Old 10-17-2007, 09:32 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

You don't really need to learn anything if you just want to ride. It's a personal thing on my part to want to turn over every pebble and understand what's going on. For me that's almost as much fun as throwing a leg and twisting the throttle.

You've got an SE airbox and you want to put on SE mufflers. The dealer will have a factory-made download for your bike's computer for all SE parts like that and it'll probably be your cheapest option. I think the download is something like $150 installed. The mufflers are what, $350 or so?

I'm not familiar with the engine control system capabilities on your bike. Does it have any oxygen sensors on the exhaust? The '07 and later have one on each cylinder. I'm thinking (but can't confirm with any information I have on hand) that there might be one on your front cylinder.

If there is O2 sensor feedback to the computer, you should not need to do anything more than add the mufflers. But this assumes you've got the after-stock computer download for the intake changes that were made. Your safest bet, however, would be to ensure you've got an appropriate download for your assembled components (there won't be a specific one available if you go non-SE stuff). The only downside to the download is that it will be EPA-friendly which means a little lean/warm (but not dangerously so). I think there might be a "race" download available for your combination that would not be so warm between your legs. I don't remember if they quit making them available before or after 2006.

Summation: if you're adding SE mufflers and for the foreseeable future have no other plans for engine changes, if you can get a "race" download for the combination it'll be your cheapest and safest bet. If only a "street" download is available it'll be right up there for safe/cheap, but you'll be leaving a little on the table and getting a little more heat. After that, one of the Dobeck line of piggyback fuelers (Ness, Techlusion, etc.) or the V&H Fuelpac, units would be the next cheapest. They only add fuel, though, and offer no other control changes. After that, the Power Commander (PC-III) piggyback fueler is more expensive, but with it you can modify fuel in either direction as well the spark timing. And there is probably a map for it already available for the components you want to assemble. Almost-finally, there is the SERT (race tuner) with which you can directly reprogram your bike's computer. Finally, in terms of price and performance you can choose between the DTT or TMAX computer replacement units. These are the most capable of all and the cost reflects it. If you plan other engine modifications in the future, or even think you might, the extra cost for either of these replacement computers would be offset in no time.

Doc1: Hey, I only meant what I said as friendly constructive criticism. If you felt bashed by it I apologize; it was not my intent. Just trying to help you trying to help.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Kevinc
Tourer

Thanks Glens,

Like you I enjoy this stuff, and I want to learn more.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:31 AM
drdiesel1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kevinc

Thanks Glens,

Like you I enjoy this stuff, and I want to learn more.
If that`s the case. Then IMO you should buy a DTT or T-Max ECM replacement fuel management system. They both have Auto-Tune mode. This will enable you to perform the needed adjustments yourself.
I installed the DTT/WEGO IID on my 07 FLHX and love it. Now I`m adding cams, so I can re-tune the bike to match them. Tweaking it yourself with help from the tuner box manual and this forum will be more rewarding than paying someone else. JMO...

Old 10-18-2007, 01:42 AM
Kevinc
Tourer

Thanks again. Where did you get your DDT set up, and what did it cost?

Old 10-18-2007, 03:17 AM
drdiesel1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kevinc

Thanks again. Where did you get your DDT set up, and what did it cost?
I bought it direct from DTT....@ www.daytona-twintec.com

Old 10-18-2007, 07:57 AM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nicely said Glens. Kevinc, you're going to find out that knowledge is a dangerous thing with our harleys, especially in this area. What we're talking about now is some great stuff. Do a search on this forum for both TMax and DTT and you will have enough to read for a while on this class of tuner. There;s proably going to be references about the other tuners, like SERT, etc that you will end up researching also. You can also go to these aftermarket sites, and download their manualsfor install and setup procedures. Good way to make comparisons.

Also, check out nightrider.com/biketech/motorcycle_efi_basics.htm

You can start by doing comparisons on what's currently available EFI tuners:

SE Race Tuner (SERT)
ThunderMax
Thundermax with AutoTune (TMAX)
Dyno Jet PowerCommander
Daytona Twin-Tec
Daytona Twin-Tec CFI II w/WEGO
Techlusion TFI
Cobra 2000
V&H Fuelpak
Terry Components TVII
RevTech DFO
Head-Quarters Pro Tuner (Brand New)
...[/ol]

SERT, PCIII and TFI COMPARISONS:
https://www.hdforums.com/m_67296/tm.htm

Don;t know where you live, but if in the cold weather, you'll have the time to come up to speed on this stuff before going out and spending your $$$. Take your time buddy, a good winter project...

Old 10-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Kevinc
Tourer

Ya thanks, I live in Utah and riding is just about over for the year. This will be a fun winter project.