Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

analog speedometer AND signal canceling failed

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 01:20 AM
azhole
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default analog speedometer AND signal canceling failed

I started getting a engine light on for several seconds,after extinguishing, started yesterday.
Today my analogspeedometer quit working, along with the cruise control of course,but my speedo drive seems to be working, the tang is still in the hub.
Then I noticed my turn signal cancelling isn't, cancelling that is>
I'm curious if this is indicative of some module failing or just a coincidence?
Seems that the analog speedo would be mechanical, and not affected by some electronic module, but it's sure a coincidence that the cancelling stopped functioning at the same time, more or less.

Any Ideas?

I was going to pull the fairing off tommorrow and see if anything is loose and messing up other things, but the engine light has me wondering if it isn't something...more sinister
afoot...[sm=badbadbad.gif]
If I don't spot anything I was going to disconnect the speedo cable at the speedo drive and see if the gauge works with this mechanical, drill motor, actuation.
I'm wanting to look under the fairing for the first time anyway...

Old 10-16-2007, 03:32 AM
drdiesel1
Road Captain
Default RE: analog speedometer AND signal canceling failed

What year bike. Most new bikes have an electronic speedo drive called VSS. = vehicle speed sensor.
The cruise,turn signal cancel moduleand speedo all read the same VSS signal for operation. I can`t help without verification of year/model and system...[8D]

Old 10-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Skip
Road Captain

Had a similar experience last year with my 2002 FLSTS (except it does not have cruise). Speed sensor went out and I lost the speeedometer and turn signal cancellation. Easy, and fairly inexpensive fix for HD. Replaced the senor myself. Took about 30 minutes. Hardest part was routing the cable.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:21 AM
azhole
Road Master

I think I found the problem, multi symptomed.
I was also getting a trouble code of 56, crank or cam shaft sensor problem. I found this by doing the three second to on, then off for a second and back on for 3 seconds and back off then on and wait for indication flashes.
Found this procedure in my service manual.
I thought that spending money replacing the speedometer cable or drive would be a waste before repairing this more serious matter, but turns out that the 'minor repair' solved all the problems and symptoms of.
Read on...

I pulled the fairing, always wanted to, and nothing lose, and cablenot spinning at speedometer gauge.
Pulled the cable at the speedo drive end, at the front wheel hub, and found the end of the cable broken as it exited the drive unit.
What's odd is the turn signals started cancelling after the speedometer cable was replaced. Didn't realize they were associated.
What's odder is the trouble code I got, 56, that indicates the crank or cam shaft position problem was gone after I replaced the speedometer cable also.
I'd had no idea that this would cause a fault, indicating the crank/cam positioning being incorrect.
After I rode the bike home, did the job at my scuzzins house, I checked the engine light for codes, and it went 15 blinks, then 14 pause one blink, then 13 pause 2 blinks, down to 1 pause 14, then did it all over again, then stopped.
I turned the bike off for about a minute and back on and no more trouble codes, like the problem never existed.
I'm relieved, and learned that one little thing, that may be servicable by you or me, can be the cause of some serious looking codes.
Glad Idid spend the time to change the cable before going to a service shop!
Plus I got the experience of making a cable from a universal speedometer cable kit that my cousin had. Pretty simple. Just cut to to the correct length and crimp the end in place and you're back in business.
A one dollar yard sale itemand I dodged that big stealership/aftermarket billwhew

Old 10-17-2007, 05:21 AM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

Glad you found and fixed. I like it when someone tries new things with good results.
A job well done by the owner gives them a bigger sense of accomplishment than anything else. And it will hopefully give you some incentive to try this more often too.[8D]
Happy Motoring..................

Old 10-17-2007, 11:25 AM
fireturd
3rd Gear

Code 56 is a PITA on 01 and earlier bikes. Did you bump the start button when checkin for codes? That will sometimes cause 56 to set, its kind of an ECM brain fart

Old 10-17-2007, 12:47 PM
azhole
Road Master

I don't recall bumping it.
The code, or 8 second warning light,starting happening a few days before the speedo cable broke, that's what's kinda odd.
8 second warning light started sunday, when I was out of town at a motorcycle swap meet between Phoenix and Tucson. I rode it home and to do some chores.
Next day I went out to do something and was waiting for it to go away, not too smart but it seems to happen to me all the time. Guess I'm pretty lucky, well, just lucky cause I damn sure ain't pretty! That night the speedometer fails and later I notice the lack of signal cancelling. Later that evening Iran the diagnostic check, after reading the manual on how to do it.
Mentioned the problems to my scuzzin and he said he'd help take off the fairing to check. He said to come by and we'd see if we could change that cable, he had a couple of universal cable kits that you just cut the cable itself to length and peen on a square end.
I was going to go get a new cable, but the shops were closing and my cousin said, "try this". Glad I got the experience now. May need it in the field one day
Good to have people that'll help!