Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Do I need my ECM reprogrammed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:13 PM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need my ECM reprogrammed?

I purchased my '07 Road King Classic with 2400 miles on it from a H-D dealer. The dealer was not the selling dealer, had no service history on it, butsaid it was traded in to them on an Ultra. It was first sold in May '07 and it still has 19 months of warranty left.
[/align]It has stock pipes, but it has the Screamin' Eagle air cleaner on it.The dealer suggestedthat the original owner may have had aftermarket pipes on it and replaced them with the stock pipes beforetrading it. Concerned about it running too rich with the stock pipes, I had the dealer put it on their computer and they say it has the original factory fuel mapping.[/align][/align]It may be running leaner than with the stock air cleaner because it now flows air better. Do I need to have the ECM remapped for the SE air cleaner? [/align] [/align]For now, I amplanning to stay with the stock pipes, but may upgrade after I get a chance to actually hear some other pipes. I had V&H pipes on my Heritage, but got used to the very quiet pipe on the BMW that I traded on the RK. The stock pipes on the RK are louder than the BMW pipe was. I live in a gated community of over 1000 homes and am the only one with a motorcycle. I do not want to create any issues here because of loud pipes.[/align][/align]However, based on what I have read on this forum regarding '07s running hot, I may have to upgrade to some slip-onsdue tothe heat here in Florida. I understand that the the new Screamin Eagle Street Performance Mufflers are barely louder and only flow a bit more than stock pipes. Are the Supertrapp SEslip-ons the same as the original Screamin Eagle (SE II) andhow loud are they?[/align][/align]If I upgade to slip-ons, I assume I will definitely need the have the ECM remapped.[/align][/align]Comments please.[/align][/align][/align]

Old 10-15-2007, 08:17 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Do I need my ECM reprogrammed?

spend the money on a T-Max, not at the dealer

Old 10-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Arcane
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A gated community of 1000 homes and you are the only one with a bike? (You are such a Rebel.) If you install freer flowing slip on mufflers you will most likely need to use some type of fuel management system. As for the Supertrapp slip on mufflers, if they are as loud as the SE II mufflers are then you can get away with just being conservative on the throttle on the way in or out of the housing addition. If you decide to roll that throttle open very often then you may find that you are “persona non grata” in short order. Really the SE II s do not seem that loud to me but if I work at it I can make them obnoxious. Shoot, just owning a bike in your addition will probably get you banned anyway.

Good luck with it
Arcane

Old 10-16-2007, 11:03 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The current SE mufflers, and the Supertrapp SE mufflers, are both rated at 3dB(A) louder than stock. While the tonal quality may well differ between either of them and stock, and that could be a part of the perception, most folks would be hard pressed to hear a difference between 3 decibels in sound pressure level unless they were in an otherwise totally silent enclosure.