Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thundermax the best?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:18 PM
jbochnia
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thundermax the best?

I just purchasd the Zippers Nitrous Oxide dry system for HD. It is to be used as aclosed system o my soft tail. Does anyone have it? How do you like it?

Old 10-22-2007, 11:15 AM
drichards
Cruiser

I noticed you seem to know something about these "auto tune" controllers. I've got an 08 ultra that I'm not going to be able to leave alone no matter how hard I try. I tried the SERT on my 07 but my dealer never could get the tune right and It's a long ride to the next one. Which of the wide band systems do you recomend for a small mods (slip ons or pipes later, AC) so I don't have to pay a dyno fee every time I change something?

Old 10-25-2007, 05:14 AM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

I installed the TMAT on my 08 FXSTC when it had about 100 miles on it. Did the breakin, had my service and went to Colorado for a week. Climbed Pikes Peak without any problems(over 14,000 feet), the bike ran real good and got good gas mileage too. Haven't even tweaked on it yet so I imagine there is more I can get from it as far as power and mileage. All in all i'm completely satisfied with it so far.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:47 AM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

ORIGINAL: drichards

I noticed you seem to know something about these "auto tune" controllers. I've got an 08 ultra that I'm not going to be able to leave alone no matter how hard I try. I tried the SERT on my 07 but my dealer never could get the tune right and It's a long ride to the next one. Which of the wide band systems do you recomend for a small mods (slip ons or pipes later, AC) so I don't have to pay a dyno fee every time I change something?
It depends on what you're looking for. The DTT is harder to setup and somewhat more difficult to understand. Having said that, the DTT is an "open" system. You can see and change just about everything about it. The TMAX, on the other hand, is about as simple as it gets to setup and is fairly easy to understand. However, it is more of a "closed" system. They only give you access to the tuning parameters they think you should see, which doesn't include the offsets the ECM is learning based off the oxygen sensors. Also, the DTT uses MAP for timing whereas the TMAX uses TPS for timing (advantage DTT in my opinion).

I have the TMAX, but I would be very unhappy with it if I didn't have access to their "advanced" software. If the DTT were easier to install, I would have gone with it instead. Like I said, it's all in what you're looking for.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:38 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That comparison can be almost used word-for-word between GNU/Linux (=DTT) and MS Windows (=TMAX). I've been using Linux exclusively for my private computing for more than a decade. Every time, without fail, when I sit down in front of a Windows screen it seems as though I've been fitted with handcuffs that have no interconnecting chain. This is why when the time comes to make the change, I'm going to go with the DTT product. I really like their engineering style.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:05 PM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow glens, blending software OS with Tuners. I know what you mean for the analogy (since I'm a software engineer).Really not intimidated at all with any of the fuel management systems as far as use, just what number to put in. I know how to build kernels, but can I mastertuning my bike is the question??? Only time and $$$ I spend to find out will tell...