Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

How to "open" a bullet headlight

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:15 PM
OlDrifter
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to "open" a bullet headlight

I bought an inexpensive import bullet headlight off Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...21967&rd=1

Anyway... I can not FOR THE LIFE OF ME figure out how to "open" the light as if to replace the bulb!?!?!

There are no instructions, no screws visible, nothing.

ANYBODY have any ideas before I install this thing? I do NOT want to install it, have a bulb burn out and not be able to replace it!!

Any help would be appreciated,

Baffled

Old 10-14-2007, 10:48 PM
jmetro
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How to "open" a bullet headlight

there may or may not be a set screw under the front trim ring that is actually in FRONT of the bulb. if so, loosen that, now the chrome beveled trim ring, right against the glass of the headlight will unscrew. they are usually a pain, and using some sort of latex glove usually helps. good luck!

Old 10-15-2007, 12:49 AM
jackietan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, i have that similar head light too..there is a small hole at the frontbut no screw, even i use a pin to poke in, nothing is moving.. am i not using enough stength cause i'm worry it willspoiltmy precious headlight, does anyone can help to explain..

Old 10-15-2007, 02:27 AM
Rastus
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like jmetro said. Usually these are a real pain in the ***, a pair of latex gloves helps for grip along with good finger strength. After removing the chrome trim ring there may or may not be another retaining ring against the bulb. Usually this ring has some holes in it that you can insert an awl into to spin the ring. Getting the bulb out can often be a real joy as well may have to un mount the light and let gravity remove the bulb. Be careful when reinstalling the trim rings as to not cross thread them. I like to put a little assembly lube or anti sieze on the threads to make for a little easier removal for the next time.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:14 PM
jackietan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

using your two thumbs unscrew the chrome inner ring, it is very hard and DO NOT use tools. The tools will damage the chrome. once that is off there is a another ring you can use a flat head screw driver to remove. then the lamp is free to be removed.

can anyone help to answer this
https://www.hdforums.com/m_2331733/tm.htm
thanks