Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Wiring up an accessory port.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 01:28 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring up an accessory port.

I picked up a Powerlet port to install on my Springer and was wonder a few things about it. One question is for anyone that has run wires to something on their front end, and it would be where they ran the wire. All the wires coming off my existing devices up there are running through a channel under the tank, and I'm not sure if I can get to that channel without removing the tank.

The next question might make running a device through that channel easier, however, The cords I got with this device have a built in fuse block that is rather large. I'm running the + lead of the port through the HD accessory adapter so my big question is if the accessory plug on the motorcycle is already running through the fuse block. If so, would it seem a valid thing to just cut that fuse off and run the leads directly to the accessory plug and off the ground?

If I can do that it will free up a LOT of space that this is taking up under the seat. That, plus I might actually be able to thread bare wires through that wire channel under the tank. The only drag would be having to pick up another plug I had to special order so that I could attach the + lead to the HD accessory plug.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wiring up an accessory port.

Well, I figured out solutions to my problems here. I'm never sure how much information will help anyone else down the road, so I'll go ahead and post the answers I found. The Powerlet has a 15amp fuse in it and in looking over the wiring diagram in the service manual I finally found the accessory port (it's not completely obvious on there). It does indeed go through a 15 amp fuse on the fuse block, so off came that inline fuse block.

As for running the wire through the channel under the tank, I bought some stiff picture hanging wire, bent the end to a round circle so I wouldn't risk piercing any wires in the channel, and ran that through. Then I was able to tape the wiring for the powerlet to the end and pull it back through the channel. It's a nice neat job and integrates well with the motorcycle, and the powerlet adapter is chrome so it doesn't mess up the look of the handlebars. It's pretty convenient to have as an accessible power port to mount and plug in a GPS, to use to run a compressor to inflate a tire on a road trip, or to run the battery tender into if I need (though I don't need that much in Texas).