Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

I just won the Olympics for Stupidity

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Default I just won the Olympics for Stupidity

Went for a long ride today and almost got to my destination, stopped to get something to drink and when I got back on the bike, I hear this "clanging" sounds like a hammer hitting a steel rod. After all the posts I have read about bad bearings on the crank....I'm think oh sh*t. Head straight for the nearest dealer.

Get there praying nothing blows up...keep hearing the clanging. Shut the bike off and head inside. A little bit and the service manager gets to me. So, we talk about the engine and rumours. Go out and start the bike and everything is fine. Wouldn't you know it....ghost in the machine.

Riding back home, I hear the crap again and if I had hair I would have started to pull it out. Stop at a gas station and hearing this dam clanging.Crawl all over this thing trying to figure it out. Sounds like tranny or maybe cam basket...in that area and this side of the bike. Say, screw it and drive home.

Get in the garage and check tranny for oil...cant see any and start cussing....been though this before...dry tranny....and know what it can do. 5 K was dont 2K ago and specifically told them to change all fluids...dealer says he does anyway.

Out comes the wrenches and when the tranny plug is pulled.....plenty of oil. Dam, now got to go get some. Filled it back up.

Start it up and still clanging. Ride it and everything runs fine except this stupid clanging. Get the wrenches and start checking tightness...everything fine.

Look up and to the right and guess what I found......the dam gremlin......and this is after my bud got a bell for me....maybe I should trash it.

On the stock airbox there is a plug that is used on the foreign bound bike ......something about an air valve. Anyway....not used in US. Has a plastic christmas tree that plugs into a fitting on the back of the stock base plate and that keeps it from banging around.

When I put the SE Airkit on, I just pushed it up between some wires on the throttlebody and forgot about it. Apparently, it worked loose and started smacking the new "bell" air cleaner cover I bought...you know the round one made from stamped steel, embossed with HD and chromed.

Took the plug and smacked the bell with it and that was the noise. Where the ell are my tie wraps!!

Couple of beers later, I am laughing so hard tears are running out my eyes......dip sh*t.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:51 AM
drdiesel1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I just won the Olympics for Stupidity

DOH...! Glad to hear it was nothing serious with the bike....

Old 10-15-2007, 01:07 PM
gabhart
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

Sounds like something that would happen to me, especially since my unused plug is not secure either.

Guess I know what I will be doing!

Old 10-15-2007, 02:11 PM
BillyJoeBob
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I won the Silver Metal Saturday. Took a ride down the Natchez Trace to the Bama State line. On the way back, I hit a rest stop for a **** and a smoke. When I turned the bike off and was headed for my pocket with the key, I dropped it. All I heard was a clang, clang. No, it didn't make it to the ground. After 10 minutes of sweating bullets and burnt hands, I found it. It landed under the starter. Short stop at Ace Hardware this morning. I now have spare in my billfold. Only I could lock myself out of a motorcycle.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:30 AM
azhole
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got on the starting block, but didn't get going into that race, too far anyway[:@]
Had a similar thing, but I didn't go to the dealer.
Riding my sporty down the road and hearing the metal clatter, damn, start listening and isolating, but when I slow down it disappears. Hmmm, speed up, there it is. Slow down, and stop. Rev and no noise, What's up?
I look down and see a scratch on my tank...wha....Then I look at my belt end...then at the scratches on my tank, and at the metal end crimped on my belt...I think you get where I'm going, and where I been[:-]
Just had to start tucking in the belt tip when I ride.
Happy ending, after a buddy showed me how to, andbuffed that scratch out