Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

race tuner or harley remap

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 09:21 PM
motor12
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default race tuner or harley remap

i am having a 95 in big bore installed in an 06 SG. cams staying stock and a set of screamin eagle slip ons. am i safe using the harley remap supplied with the kit or do i need to spend 500.00 dollars for the race tuner.i do not plan any further motor mods.thanks

Old 12-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: race tuner or harley remap

I'm not a dealer and I don't get a kick back from them either so here goes....The download is crap. The 06's with any mods won't run on them. The SERT (Race Tuner) is the best bet to tune a big inch motor with pipe and air cleaner modifications. Some people will also recommend the PCIII (Power Commander). This is a good piece of equipment also (not made by HD). I prefer the Race Tuner because it allows you to fine tune in greater detail. You will probably need to dyno your bike while tuning to get it to run the way you want it to.

[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 12-12-2005, 11:03 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not changing out the cams?

Also I would go with the SERT or PCIII and dyno tune the bike to get the most for your money.

HD Download= GARBAGE

Old 12-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Wolfx
Road Captain

I agree....the HD downloads suck........very very lean......

I was sold a SERT and didnt know it till I was about to head home for the first time........dealer used the SERT to do the HD download, never tweeked or adjusted anything and handed me the box as I was leaving the dealer.......I would love to take it back and shove it up someones a** cause for me it was usless and if I knew beyond a doubt the dealers can perform the basic download without slamming the customer with a new SERT unit thats what I would do. The SERT may be the best thing for getting the most from our V-twins, but only in the hands of someone who knows how to use it, or the guy who likes to tinker.

I on the other hand want to ride and tinkering is no longer my thing. I had a PCUSB installed and dyno tuned. Watched the whole process and as far as I am concerned got a great tune that will serve me for life since I will not do any further mods to my bike.

To each there own and this is only my 2cents worth so take it however you wish......

Old 12-12-2005, 02:02 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

right on!

Old 12-12-2005, 05:12 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

OK, Now I'm confused. This is what I thought:

SERT- A replacement computer/controller (ECU) that can be interfaced with a lap top for tuning. Installation is a simple R&R of the box. Cost about $450. I don't know what kind of port connector it has. Covered under 2/4 year warranty - or so my local service manager says.

PCIII: A signal modifier. Plugs in between the factory stock ECU and modifies signals coming in to and out of the computer/controller. Priveds a +/- factor to the stock injector pulse signal. This unit can be plugged in to a lap top for tuning and loading new maps. But fine adjustments can be made with the dash pots on the front panel. Installation is also plug and play, but requires additional plugs and mounting of a second box. Cost about $360. The USB version has differant software and a USB port instead of serial port connection. 1 year warranty. If it fails, you simply unplug it and go back to stock. It won't run good, but it will run - which may not be a good thing.

The end functional result is the same??? In that they have to be tuned correctly to take advantage of their capabilites. Both come with a basic tune for your general application. And they both have to be adjusted for your specific bike and riding conditions. Carefull tuning by the rider or dyno time are required for both.

Does this sound right?

Old 12-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

You are mostly right. The SERT is a computer program for tuning and the PCIII is a piece of equipment involving computer program downloads that stays on the bike (under your seat) after you are done. The SERT allows more fine tuning than the PCIII and you just unplug your computer cable when you are done. Your download and info are stored on your computer for future adjustments.

Read This:
https://www.hdforums.com/m_181817/tm.htm

[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 12-12-2005, 08:23 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

So the SERT is not a new ECU? It simply plugs in to the stock ECU to program it? I know it has the little coded connector that only works on one CPU.

So, why would that be better than the PCIII? Especially if the PCIII also changes timing curves. Monitoring the knock sensor is a good thing. But is it worth another $80-100?

Old 12-12-2005, 08:30 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

Never mind. I went back and read this: https://www.hdforums.com/m_181817/tm.htm

The SERT is the way to. It's not much more expensive, but provides a lot more adjustability, including idle speed and red line. Also, it seems to provide data logging, and limited A:F logging via the 2 O2 sensors on the Dyna. I wonder if replacing one of those sensors with a wide band sensor for tuning can be done. Hmmmmm.

For some reason, I thought it included a new PCM. Don't know where I got that from.

Old 12-13-2005, 01:39 AM
DUMB AND DUMBER
Intermediate

Ok, now i'm totally confused. As I write this, my '06 Heritage Classic is having a stage II Big Bore kit and SE slip-ons installed. The dealer has absolutely insisted HD has the '06's down to where they can do this install with no need for a race tuner. EVERYTHING I have read in this forum contradicts the dealer. Should I force the issue with the dealer????

Quick Reply: race tuner or harley remap