Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

race tuner or harley remap

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Unbalanced
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: race tuner or harley remap

Bodyman0,

Only thing I can recommend to you is to get a stage1 download put into your bike. Then have it retuned. While you say it runs good and I am quite sure it does. Here is the inherent problem. If the Power Commander Chits the bed and dies and your off on a ride you will have remove the PC and to get the bike to run. But in your case you have added an AirCleaner and on a stock ECM you will be way to lean and could do more harm than good by riding the bike (Recommend Towing). I have both today SERT and PC and have had 2 PC go bad in the past. I am not saying yours will, but could. Just a recommendation for those going down that road.

For me when you have to buy the PowerCommander and you want to get the Download that is say for sake of Arguement 330 for the PC and 120 + for the download plus labor, when I can go online get the SERT for 20 percent off costing me 369.00

Now the difference between the 2 is that the SERT does not have to ride on top of the ECM like the PowerCommander and there is no 2nd piece to go bad. The SERT does not have to lie to the ECM to get the results it wants out of the ECM and the SERT allows me to set Timing on both Cylinders and not just one setting for both Cylinders as well I now also have Decelleration Table for decell pop fixes and I have the Fuel Pump or Accelleration Pump as well. The other advantage which most have missed is that the RaceTuner allows me to raise/change my Rev Limiter to what I want it to be. While I usually dont go past 6200 it is sure nice to have. Those with the Powercommander can also get the download which I do recommend they do. The download will also raise their rev limiter to a set 6200.

Power Commander is supposed to be coming out with a new model that will also allow you to change the rev limiter and it has one other feature I really like and that is the bike can be running when I change the map into it. The race Tuner can not have the bike running you must have it off with the run button switched on to program it. This is a step that a lot of people miss and they never get the bike programmed

The other factor here which is a huge one is what does your dyno guy like to work with. Finding good SERT tuners is tougher to do than a guy who is good with the PC.

The race Tuner on the other hand is a bit more complicated due to its volumetric efficiencies / Timing / A/F.

Take or leave the information just thought I would pass it on from my own experience.

Old 01-27-2006, 10:00 PM
mtr14
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: race tuner or harley remap

I agree those suck for the money you spent. Last year I had a 2002 FLST, 88, vance and hines, and a K&N and that's about what my numbers looked like.