Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

07 FLHX and Zippers autotune

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 07 FLHX and Zippers autotune

Well I ride an 07 FLHX with Vance&Hines dual w/rolling thunder 1 3/4 baffle slash cut mufflers. Running the SE Air kit. Added the Tuner and let it adjust itself. Because I saw a timing table in this forum that took the timing up to 40 degrees, I tried to adjust mine upward from the 35-36 degrees on the installed map. Added 2 degrees and bad knock on accel w/load. Said F%^k that and changed the timing back. I also changed the A/F ration in the cruise rpm/tps setting and got heat issues in stop and go traffic. Both changes were to effect more power or economy. Ended up changing the A/F ratio back to original setting of the map. However, I do not that they take the A/F all the way to 12 to 1 at WOT in the higher rpm ranges. I am thinking about changing that to 12.5 to 1.

Anyway, the installed map is really close to perfect for my set up. OUTSTANDING acceleration, some slight decel popping, no pinging issues period and to top it off on a 300 mi cruise with a few stops I got 48 mpg. Stock bike got 50-53. Hell, I will give up that 2-5 mpg for the way this bike runs now and no heat issues. The heat issue with these bikes is what got me started on modding it to get rid of the excessive heat. The oil temps were running 272-277 which was way high. Now, the hottest the oil has gotten is 221.

If you are looking to add pipes/mufflers/airkit...don't waste time and money on other products....just go with the Zippers. I bought V&H fuelpack and although it ran well, the exhaust sounded tinny and mpg fluctuated given the same riding conditions. I bought the TVII; but, before I got it at the house, I decided to go with the Zippers. Now, together those two other methods cost me $820....I bought the zippers for $695 and got a laptop for $300 on line. I could have avoided the laptop and used my desktop to program; but, I wanted the ability to do a real world run down the highway and record a monitoring session to see exactly what the bike is doing at what rpm/tps/timing/ etc.

Anyway, bottom line.....spend your money on a product that will do you right...zippers or possibly the other one....twin tec. Both use the wideband O2 sensors to tune the fuel requirements for your bike with it's tolerances/loads/etc.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:15 PM
SGDude
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 07 FLHX and Zippers autotune

This is killing me. I also have an '07 FLHX, but it only got 36-38 MPG stock. Put on the TMAT, slipons and Big Sucker and have picked up about 2 MPG. I ride primarily freeway to work and back. Must be California models...

BTW, waht map are you running? I am using HDTSSTVCUG050107

Old 10-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain

map: HDSSGVCXE050107. Closed loop of course. Going through the map selector step by step according to the instructions left 5 maps....I chose the latest one. Given the map and what you say is on it...your choice is correct. The only difference is I put the true dual type pipes on vs keeping the stock headers because of the airflow out the exhaust. Start you engine and put one hand behind each muffler and you can feel that the left side still has little flow with the better muffler....most of the airflow from the rear cylinder is still flowing out the right....on decel, I have read that you will get reversion up the left pipe and throw the A/F ratio off as the wide band reads too much O2 in the exhaust and tries to compensate. That can be proven by doing a road test and monitor the front/rear O2 sensors along with anything else you are curious about what is it doing....you will just need a laptop to do a monitoring session.

The fact that I found at idle, the left pipe was not balanced in it's flow with the right was enough proof for me on the above theory.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:30 PM
SGDude
Cruiser

Thanks for the feedback. It does prompt a couple of questions. First, the exhaust. I have had the same thoughts about the exhaust diverter in the stock pipe, though I haven't found the AFR to get thrown off that much, and I've done a LOT of logging. I see some, but as most of my mileage is freeway, I'm not seeing the AFR differ between the front and back cylinders. The second is, what kind of mileage where you getting before the installation of the parts you listed? Believe me, I'm not trying to discount your info, if you've seen a good improvement by replacing the head pipes, guess what i'll be doing this weekend. Thanks in advance.

An added edit, I went back and re-ran my last logging, this time I enabled the rear-cylinder trim gauge. This show the +/- fuel being added/subtracted to the rear cylinder to make it sync with the front (per the manual) and saw a lot of correction going on, thought the f/r AFR seemed to be staying consistent. I think this jives with the reversion you mentioned.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain

completely stock mpg - 50-53. After all the mods - 48-50.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:37 PM
SGDude
Cruiser

Which is what you said in your first post, oops.
Just doesn't make sense that two bikes would get such radically different MPG's...

Old 10-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain

Math??? lol. We are at 700 ft above sea level and generally speaking around town highway is pretty flat.
Also, that is steady state cruise, no hotdogging, 100 mph + runs, etc. That brings it down to 40 or so.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:09 PM
SGDude
Cruiser

I live in San Diego, so it don't get much closer to sea level . What is your avg speed? I generally run down the freeway at 70.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:10 PM
firehog383
Novice

I have an 07 FLHX with a fat cat 2into1 Arlen Ness air cleaner and the T-max and the best MPG I get is 38, and I ride the freeway commuting every day aprox 70-75 mph. I'm a little fat at WOT but cruising is 13.7 and am running the same map as you are.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:15 AM
SGDude
Cruiser

I have the bike at 14.1 for TPS & RPM's on the freeway. Just did that Tuesday, so i'll see if it gets any better, but still compared to yardstick, this sucks. Sounds like we have virtually the same rding styles, roads, etc. yet he is killing me by about 10-15 MPG's. I've gotta figure this out.

Quick Reply: 07 FLHX and Zippers autotune