Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT engine data mode problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Default SERT engine data mode problems

Bike is an 04 Ultra. Bought it a little over a month ago. It has the 1550 Stage II engine mod with 203 cams. I also got a SERT with the bike plus a dyno sheet from when it was apparently "tuned" back on Feb of 06. When I first rode the bike,it seemed to havelots of power butnoticeably more vibration than Ifeel on my 2000 Road King. So I thought I would read through the SERT manual and see if I could figure out how toretrievethe Cal ID currently in the bike's ECM and see if I could make some fine adjustments to that Calfileavailable onthe SERT CD.

Following the SERT manual and connecting the SERT per the instructions, I am able to retrieve the following:
ECM 32498-05A (the original owner must have had an 05 MY ECM installed when he performed the engine upgrades)
Cal ID OK = 127LG004-000
VIN OK = the vin number

Everything looks nominal up to this point, then I start the bike. The first thing I notice is that it is running pretty rough, not idling smoothly at all. I also notice that the check engine light is on, then off, then on, then off, at intermittent intervals. Also the security alarm icon lights-up at intermittent intervals. Anyway, with the laptop in the top case, I took her for a spin. Running rough, didn't take long to see things were not normal. Bike engine died at a stop. Also noticed that I get a constant VTD Active value of 1 along with the Engine Run Mode value of 1.

Turned off the bike, disconnected everything and bike perked back up and ran normally.

This reallypuzzles me and I can't find any real help in the SERT manual for these issues. It seems to me like the alarm system may be screwing with the ECM during data collection mode, but why? The security system is not armed. I hope this is something simple. I really need to make a few test runs and record some data, but I must have confidence in the numbers I am seeing before I even try to attempt a reburn of the ECM with a modified EFI Map.

Anyone out there every had this issue in data collection mode? Thanks

Old 10-10-2007, 01:50 AM
Turul
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SERT engine data mode problems

hi,

i like the old DUKE NUKEM dancing girl

cheers mate

Old 10-10-2007, 12:22 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad news is that you can't download the map from your ECU. You'll need to get in touch with the previous owner & hope they have a copy.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Yep, aware of that. All I am trying to do is record engine data. I believe I have the data file that has been loaded in this bike by the original owner, on the SERT cd, however I have asked him to send me the file when he gets it from the hd dealer...if he can get it at all. They may have tweaked the original file a little, but I doubt it.

Either way, all I am wanting to do now is to record some engine data, not capture the map file. I am aware that you cant "suck" the data file back from the ECM with the SERT.

Since my original post, I changed computers and now I can record data without any runability issues. I still see the engine light coming on and off intermittently, and I wonder if that is normal during a data collection ride. Anyone know the answer to that?

Thanks,
Joe