Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

I want to install turn signals myself... Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007 | 09:24 AM
SgtThump
|
Road Warrior
Default I want to install turn signals myself... Any tips?

I just purchased a '92 FXDC. The previous owner pulled all of the turn signals from the bike. It looks great without them, but I'm a little concerned about safety. I plan to buy the HD turn signal kit that I'm told will fit right on this bike. The kit is 68005-99. I also have a maintenance guide on the way to me now and hope to get it today.

I took a look around the bike last night and it appears that the wires going to the rear signals were cut right at the connector/harness under the seat. I assume I don't need this connector and can connect longer wire right to the wires going into the connector? I also see two wires that are taped off and zip tied to the front of the frame. It looks like these could be the leftover wires for the front signals, but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway, are there any secrets to installing signals that I should knwo abotu? This is the first time I've attempted any work on a bike. It seems easy, but you know how that works. lol...

If I mount the front signals to the handlebars, do I route the wires through the bars or to the outside with zip ties? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I assume that the signal controls will have wires going to both the front and rear signals and possibly to the battery. Is this correct?

Old 10-09-2007 | 08:52 PM
SgtThump
|
Road Warrior
Default RE: I want to install turn signals myself... Any tips?

I have a tip... Don't mess with it. From what I can tell, it's a huge pain in the rear. I spent the last few hours messing with it and got nowhere. The previous owner pulled the cables, my maintenance manual isn't very easy to understand. the turn signal kit requires additional hardware that would be on my bike if it still had the rear signals installed, etc... Sigh... It sucked.

Old 10-12-2007 | 11:13 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

It's hard to say what a DPO did. It does sound like they just cut the wires, though, so you can just splice onto them again. The rear wires _probably_ should go through a gromet, up under the rear fender attached by little hook thingies and then out the side where the turn signals mount.

You will probably have to pick up the missing hardware. I don't know what you have or what you don't have with your kit, but you should be able to find everything from the usual suppliers.

Best to run your wires external to the handlebars to minimize problems down the line. There is another thread going on right now discussing this.

Old 01-20-2008 | 11:11 AM
lclc49
5th Gear

I have a 2004 Dyna Sport. I bought a new rear fender and have bobbed it. I added a side license plate that has the LED light for plate and I am going to use my rear turn signals as turn signals and brake light. I bought a run/brake/turn signal module and now I am wondering if I need to use the original brake light and turn signal wiring harness. Does this make any sense?

Old 01-20-2008 | 02:48 PM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain

Wish you were closer to me, would give you a hand with it. First thing I would do is get the wiring diagram printsfor your bike. Then start ringing out the wires that are cut and taped and find out which ones are common to each other and where they go to. Make alot of notes and tag the wires with referrence. You can remove the tags after your done. Try matching the wires to the prints. You'll find out it's really not that big of a job.

Old 01-20-2008 | 03:15 PM
B.Fighter43
Advanced

SgtThump as to the front wires should go to a plug located under the tank. The rear signals go to a plug located just behind the rear tail light has to be removed to get to it and it is not that hard to reconect these these, Ido it all the time due to stupid asses cutting the wires off the removing the signals instead of them removing them with the plugs

Old 01-22-2008 | 10:42 AM
whooda
Intermediate

I bought my FLSTI from salvage and it had no rear turn signals at all. I also changed my handlebars to internally wired fat mini apes, which meant disconnecting the turn signals and re-routing the wires. If you have no turn signals at all, it's easier, because you won't have to take any of the molded plugs apart.

Once you get your manual and wiring diagrams, go to your local dealer and get the molded plugs for the front and rear (assuming they arent on the bike now) and the ends of the wires that lock into the plugs after you crimp them onto the wires. Take your tank and seat off, and if you don't have a set of turn signal wires in your rearwiring harness, thenyour rear fender as well. Once you have found the path that both sets of wires will travel (Wiring harness in the rear, under tank and up handlebars in front), look at the molded plug connectors. Identify the numbers or letters on each pin hole (where the wires go) and verify the same on your diagram so that you get left and right turn signal wires in the propper spots.

Once you have the path, the pin layout and the length all worked out, you can cut your wire, run it through the connectors in the right pin holes and thenapply your crimping toolyou putthe metal ends on each wire. Once you pull the molded plug to the end of the wiresthat now havethe metal heads on them you should hear/feel theheads click into place in the molded plug, and you should no longer be able to easily pull or push the wires so that they come out of the connectors. Go to Sears and purchase a fine pick tool set <$10 and keep it handy for the next wiring project you have to do on your bike. To free those metal ends from the molded plugs you need to use the pick to free the wires. It's like picking a lock, not that I would know anything about picking locks....... ;-)

Good Luck

[IMG]local://upfiles/38854/480BBBF0063847A3B29BC5490905FFF5.jpg[/IMG]