Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT Data Mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 11:39 AM
drdiesel1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SERT Data Mode

It`s adaptive. The calibration is stored in non-volatile memory. The reason it`s advantages to get the VE tables preconfigured is less updating to achieve proper AFR.
That setsthe cells that you are missing and notupdating during operation.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:19 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My understanding of AFV is that it is a fixed calculation that is an average amount of what had to be adjusted during closed loop operation - not cell by cell. If it were cell by cell and you had a large amount of closed loop feedback then theoritically you could just ride your bike and it would eventually self-tune itself. I also understood that AFV is used in closed loop as well as open loop as the base before calculating a new VE number.

Am I off here?

Old 10-13-2007, 03:05 PM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ste71

My current setup is 07 Dyna (HDI model), SERT, SE a/c and SE 07 mufflers. Right now I'm using the 159AE004 map from the SERT CD which fits my setup perfectly, and the bike runs great.

I am replacing the exhaust system with a Rinehart 2-1, and I don't have a map for the new combo (Rinehart, SE a/c, 07 FXD and SERT). Dyno tuning is not an option over here.

So I'm planning about using my current map as a starting point and tweak it for the new setup with Data Mode.
I have read the SERT manual and if I understand correctly, most important tuning issues are AFR, Spark Advance and VE.

AFR and Spark Advance sound quite clear to me. As far as VE is concerned, I should record a few runs with data mode and compare Target VE (front and rear) with New VE (front and rear). Then I should replace Target VE cells with the figures of New VE recorded by Data Mode, which should be the "right" values. So the ECM is capable of determining the "right" VE figures.

My question is:
If the ECM is capable of determining the "right" VE values, why do we have to use a VE "target" table?? Couldn't the ECM take into account "right" VE values and calculate the correct amount of fuel from the "desired" AFR values from the AFR table?

Thanks a lot for your replies.

The only way to ensure you have the correct VE values and hence that will determine that the AFR ratios you enter are the correct values is to set the AFR to a constant accross all cells, say 13.8 : 1, then using an exhaust sniffer adjust the VE tables until the sniffer confirms you have achieved the 13.8 : 1. You may then adjust the AFR tables as you wish and the values will be correct. If you dont calibrate the VE tables in this way you have no way of knowing if the AFR values you enter are correct. For example if the VE is way off you could enter a value of 13 : 1 in a cell but the real AFR would be 15 : 1.

Unless you have a setup way outside the canned maps I wouldnt worry too much, in fact you can use this VE to cheat the AFR and maintain the use of the O2 sensors. So you can retain the cell values of 14.6 : 1, and max out the CLB tables which will actually give a trueAFR of about 14.1 :1. If you need it a little richer increase the VE in the areas you need which will trick the ecm into thinking you are pulling in more air than you really are which has the effect of making things a little richer.

WB

Old 10-13-2007, 04:50 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn. This site software sucks and doesn't actually keep track of what threads were read on any visit, so checking in on one forum kills the new-post-tracking ability for all the others if you don't check them too in the same session. And I was just about done getting caught up again when I saw this one...

ORIGINAL: murphdog

If the ECM learns and stores an "adaptive fuel value" for each cell in the VE tables to be used as a correction to the programmed VE values, would one not expect the VE New values to be the same every time at a particular throttle position and rpm (assuming operating in closed loop)? I'm seeing as much as 5% variation in VE New values in the same data file at the exact same throttle positions and rpms.
The ECM learns and stores an AFV for each cylinder. Just two of them. Whenever it's time to make an injector-timing calculation, it looks in the appropriate VE table cell, gets the factor, and hits that with the AFV for the cylinder, then proceeds.

I suspect you're seeing the variations as a result of either temperature changes, barometric pressure changes, or engine load changes. But primarily as a result of the AFV having been altered by being in a different VE table cell before coming back to the same one again. This would indicate (to me) that the VE cells are not calibrated correctly to start with. You really need to get it on a dyno with gas analysis to set them. To have the system work the best it's really necessary to have the relationships between all the various cells be correct. If they are, the AFV shouldn't jump around like that.

the ECM would need to know that it needs to learn a new AFV if the programmed VE values are changed. Perhaps when you program the ECM with a new calibration, the ECM starts over with the AFV's?
The ECM knows it needs to reset the AFV whenever it's in closed loop and the O2 sensor voltage output isn't at the expected value. It's a very dynamic process, not something that happens only occasionally.

There was a race tuner guy from Harley at Sturgis this summer preaching the benefits of collecting VE New numbers in data mode and correcting the VE tables accordingly. He said when you do this, the desired AFR will be achieved much sooner as the ECM travels from one VE cell to another.
That will only have benefit in the closed loop areas unless the relationships between all the cells was very carefully established on a dyno with gas analysis. And if that were done, well, what's the point?

What it sounds to me like you're doing is essentially the same thing as the guys with a new DTT or TMAX making the thing chase its tail all around by trying to make manual adjustments early and often.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:46 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

The DTT/WEGO IID works with wide-band O2 sensors and has no need for VE or VE New tables. It updates AFR with O2 readings. Hence Auto-Learn Mode.
It works very well. Just smooth the cells that have not been updated during operation withing that parameter mode and your done. It`s a real K.I.S.S. method setup.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:13 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

From what I can tell, it has nearly the same amount of data tables as the Delphi. It merely uses them differently.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:31 AM
drdiesel1
Road Captain
Old 10-14-2007, 03:40 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the link. I thought I'd downloaded all their manuals but didn't have that one. Looking through it I find 17 tables mentioned. The SERT manual specifically says in one place there are 11 adjustable tables in its system.
I didn't scour both manuals but a quick jaunt through them uncovers the following lists.

DTT manual:
Alpha-N Table
AFR Table
Front Cylinder Trim Table
BLM Table
TPS Transfer Function Table
Delta TPS Fuel Multiplier Table
IAC Based TPS Adder Table
ET Based Priming Fuel Table
ET Based Cranking Fuel Table
Time Based AFR Cold Start Enrichment Table
ET Based AFR Cold Start Enrichment Table
Time Based Fuel Cold Start Enrichment Table
ET Based Front and Rear Cylinder Cold Start Enrichment Table
ET Based Idle RPM Table
ET Based IAC Position Table
ET Based IAC Start Adder Table
Time Based IAC Start Adder Table
----
17 tables

SERT manual: "There are a total of 11 Tables."
Air-Fuel Ratio
VE Front Cyl.
VE Rear Cyl.
Spark Advance Front
Spark Advance Rear
Warmup Enrichment
Cranking Fuel
Idle RPM
IAC Warmup Steps
ECM Tuning Constants
Acceleration Enrichment (AE) / Deceleration Enleanment (DE)
----
11 tables (12 if those last two are separate)

But I don't see mention of the CLB there, so yet another?

Old 10-14-2007, 04:21 AM
Skippy49
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: WildBill2566

ORIGINAL: ste71

My current setup is 07 Dyna (HDI model), SERT, SE a/c and SE 07 mufflers. Right now I'm using the 159AE004 map from the SERT CD which fits my setup perfectly, and the bike runs great.

I am replacing the exhaust system with a Rinehart 2-1, and I don't have a map for the new combo (Rinehart, SE a/c, 07 FXD and SERT). Dyno tuning is not an option over here.

So I'm planning about using my current map as a starting point and tweak it for the new setup with Data Mode.
I have read the SERT manual and if I understand correctly, most important tuning issues are AFR, Spark Advance and VE.

AFR and Spark Advance sound quite clear to me. As far as VE is concerned, I should record a few runs with data mode and compare Target VE (front and rear) with New VE (front and rear). Then I should replace Target VE cells with the figures of New VE recorded by Data Mode, which should be the "right" values. So the ECM is capable of determining the "right" VE figures.

My question is:
If the ECM is capable of determining the "right" VE values, why do we have to use a VE "target" table?? Couldn't the ECM take into account "right" VE values and calculate the correct amount of fuel from the "desired" AFR values from the AFR table?

Thanks a lot for your replies.

The only way to ensure you have the correct VE values and hence that will determine that the AFR ratios you enter are the correct values is to set the AFR to a constant accross all cells, say 13.8 : 1, then using an exhaust sniffer adjust the VE tables until the sniffer confirms you have achieved the 13.8 : 1. You may then adjust the AFR tables as you wish and the values will be correct. If you dont calibrate the VE tables in this way you have no way of knowing if the AFR values you enter are correct. For example if the VE is way off you could enter a value of 13 : 1 in a cell but the real AFR would be 15 : 1.

Unless you have a setup way outside the canned maps I wouldnt worry too much, in fact you can use this VE to cheat the AFR and maintain the use of the O2 sensors. So you can retain the cell values of 14.6 : 1, and max out the CLB tables which will actually give a trueAFR of about 14.1 :1. If you need it a little richer increase the VE in the areas you need which will trick the ecm into thinking you are pulling in more air than you really are which has the effect of making things a little richer.

WB

This is what I did on my 03 RK using a Twin Scan II +. Set all AFR's to 13.8 and then set the VE's. Worked out very well for me. And it makes sense to set the VE's first so then you can alter your AFR's and know they will be what you want.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:35 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: glens

Thanks for the link. I thought I'd downloaded all their manuals but didn't have that one. Looking through it I find 17 tables mentioned. The SERT manual specifically says in one place there are 11 adjustable tables in its system.
I didn't scour both manuals but a quick jaunt through them uncovers the following lists.

DTT manual:
Alpha-N Table
AFR Table
Front Cylinder Trim Table
BLM Table
TPS Transfer Function Table
Delta TPS Fuel Multiplier Table
IAC Based TPS Adder Table
ET Based Priming Fuel Table
ET Based Cranking Fuel Table
Time Based AFR Cold Start Enrichment Table
ET Based AFR Cold Start Enrichment Table
Time Based Fuel Cold Start Enrichment Table
ET Based Front and Rear Cylinder Cold Start Enrichment Table
ET Based Idle RPM Table
ET Based IAC Position Table
ET Based IAC Start Adder Table
Time Based IAC Start Adder Table
----
17 tables

SERT manual: "There are a total of 11 Tables."
Air-Fuel Ratio
VE Front Cyl.
VE Rear Cyl.
Spark Advance Front
Spark Advance Rear
Warmup Enrichment
Cranking Fuel
Idle RPM
IAC Warmup Steps
ECM Tuning Constants
Acceleration Enrichment (AE) / Deceleration Enleanment (DE)
----
11 tables (12 if those last two are separate)

But I don't see mention of the CLB there, so yet another?
The DTTDOES NOT haveVE or VE New tables like I mentioned earlier....It an ALPHA N system. Works great for me and it`s a simple straight forward application. You adjust what you need and know it`s within spec without a dyno. You can watch real-time data and monitor both AFR andO2 sensors.
You adjust the AFR table directly with the desired AFR number. This system will readjust the table with the auto learn within a certain limit. If it`s outside the threshold limit it will set the cell red/blue to indicate maximum adjustment has bee reached. The system work best if you add extra fuel and let it lean the tables out from there. I added 20% across the board like the manual suggested and it worked perfect.

Quick Reply: SERT Data Mode