Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TMax and stripped bolts

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 08:41 AM
FXWGG
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TMax and stripped bolts

Has anybody spun the pressed in brass nut in the ECM bracket? If so how did you fix it without buying another bracket? I had to take a cut off wheel on my die grinder and cut the head off of the allen head cap screw and drive the brass nut out the back side. I then ground down the plastic enough to get a 1/4-20 nut on the back of another allen head cap screw. It is not the prettiest job but it works. How did the rest of you all fix it? One day down the road I might buy another bracket and swap it out but for now it works.[/align]Thanks,[/align]Bobby[/align]

Old 10-07-2007, 08:51 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Default RE: TMax and stripped bolts

Maybe you canreplace it with a Pem nut.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:53 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Cut the plastic with a sawzall from around the bolt, vice grips to spin off knurled brass fitting, used the remaining bolt and velcro to remount, this ialso adds shock protection, will get a new bracket eventually.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:25 PM
firehog383
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same thing happened to me on my 02 road king. On my 07 I was very careful to rock the bolts back and forth to break the lock tite prior to removal. Maybe you tried this. It worked on my 07

Old 10-11-2007, 03:29 AM
FXWGG
Cruiser

I tried rocking the bolts back and forth but as soon as I put the allen wrench on the top on it spun. What a chicken s--t set up.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:55 AM
bdavis385
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Tmax instructions have suggestions on what to do if and when this happens.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:15 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: FXWGG

as soon as I put the allen wrench on the top on it spun. What a chicken s--t set up.
Maybe, but you have to look at it from their perspective. They've certified to the Federal Government that the vehicle in question would meet stringent emissions criteria. If for some reason it doesn't the tamper-proof mounting will be indicative of their level of responsibility and liability.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:17 AM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I didn't know before hand that the electrical caddy needed so much rework for the T-Max ECM to fit. What a pain. On the Dyna, the serial cable has to be permanently installed, also; which means it is coiled up and left under the fuse cover - not very elegant. Also, why are the O2 sensor wires so freakin' long?

Old 11-02-2007, 07:25 AM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark me down as another one that spun it. You would think TMAX would be a little more clear about how to take these bolts out without doing this. There should be a warning of what can happen if you don't break the loctite free first. If they had said remove the plastic caddy and use a small amount of carb cleaner on the back end and let sit for 1 hour, and then rock the bolt back and forth, I wouldn't be having this problem.

I tried the rock it back and forth too, but it broke free almost immediately.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:12 AM
Arcane
Road Master

ORIGINAL: harley_jeff

I didn't know before hand that the electrical caddy needed so much rework for the T-Max ECM to fit. What a pain. On the Dyna, the serial cable has to be permanently installed, also; which means it is coiled up and left under the fuse cover - not very elegant. Also, why are the O2 sensor wires so freakin' long?

The o2 sensor wires are to long? You are kidding right? I installed the T-Max on my Wide Glide and the front sensor cable was almost to short. (Routing the cable as per instructions.) A few more inches of cable would have been real welcome deal.

Arcane

Quick Reply: TMax and stripped bolts