Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

running with unknown SERT mapping

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Wide06
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default running with unknown SERT mapping

If you got an 04 injected Dyna that had the SERT, but you don't have the module that goes with the bike, and you have a cold start problem, would you ride the bike anyway?

We just got one, and you have to turn it over for a while before it starts. usually about 5-10 seconds on the starter 4 or 5 times. Then it runs kinda rough and almost stalls for about 10-20 seconds, and then runs ok. it pops a lot on decel if you don't close the throttle all the way, and usually has one good pop during gear shifts.

The cold start problem can be helped by folding a towel to make a strip and wrapping it around the air cleaner. Bike cold starts immediately this way. I'm thinking it must be in the SERT parameters, but seeing as I don't have the module and there's really no help for me finding it, there's nothing I can do.

Would it be best to flash it back to stock and put the stage 1 on it to try to fix the problem, or have the dealer look into it? But then, what if it has some internal work done to it, that would warrant more than the stage 1?

I just don't want this thing to get messed up by running it if it shouldn't be ridden. It had the SE II mufflers on it, but the baffles were taken out at some point, apparently long ago, judging by the soot buildup. I just put my old street legal replacements on it toregain some back pressure, but I don't think it'll help the other problems.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:37 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: running with unknown SERT mapping

How do you know it was tuned via SERT if you don't have the module? At a minimum on that bike you would be best to reflash. I would also suggest that a Power Commander for an 04 application would be adequate and quite possibly be all you need to add as long as you had a proper dyno tune - (no canned map)

Old 10-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Wide06
Tourer

I know it has the SERT because I took it to a dealer to see if it had the stage 1 download done because of the way it runs. they brought it out and said it doesn't have the stage 1, it has the SERT, and without the module that is already married to the bike, I'm up a creek.

It's kinda screwed up. What if it got lost or damaged? It seems HD would be more helpful with this stuff.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:46 PM
TickTock
Club Member

Unfortunately for you there isn't much that can be done. I think you could go with just a power commander and a tune. I am not expert, but since it is an 04 I see no advantage of using the Sert over a PC for this application. You would be out for the PC and a tune. If you can talk your dealer into flashing it back to stock you might be able to get a canned map from fuel moto for a PC that will work without having to get a tune right away.

If I am wrong I am sure there will 20 people to correct me!

Old 10-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Wide06
Tourer

does the PC III for 04s eliminate O2 sensors? I looked at them when I was upgrading my bike, and the 06 PC comes with O2 eliminators. The 04 PC says nothing about this. Does that mean it keeps them, or that I have to buy separate eliminators? I don't want to can the sensors anyway, so I'd probably go with something else like the revtech or cobra unit that plugs into the injectors--if the PC requires removal of the O2 sensors.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:08 PM
TickTock
Club Member

The 04 does not have o2 sensors so you have no worries there. That is why I suggest that the PC would probably be your cheapest way out if you don't mind a piggy back fuel system. I ran the PC on all of my bikes until my 07. My wife is running one on her 03 and has for 22,000 miles with no issues.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Can't he just buy another SERT and start over?

Old 10-05-2007, 04:35 AM
TickTock
Club Member

He could, but a PC is only about 275 bucks and with a tune average 200 bucks he would be OTD under 500 bucks max. If his dealer flashes his ECM back to stock and he can find a canned map close he could be OTD for the price of a PC. A new SERT is about 375.00 plus whatever the HD charges for a tune.

Both are fine options for that application as long as he doesn't care about the PC piggybacking on the ECM - which probably really isn't a concern for a 04. When all is said and done the PC can be tuned almost anywhere whereas the SERT generally has to be tuned at a HD dealership.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:30 AM
Wide06
Tourer

I think she would probably LIKE to stick with the SERT, but she hasn't decided yet.

I thought the SERT was like the PC, once installed, except it actually changes the ECM parameters instead of piggybacking it. Isn't the SERT user-programmable with a laptop? Seems if I wanted to dyno tune it, I could use an independent dyno and my laptop, like it would be with a PC.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:33 AM
TickTock
Club Member

ORIGINAL: Wide06

I think she would probably LIKE to stick with the SERT, but she hasn't decided yet.

I thought the SERT was like the PC, once installed, except it actually changes the ECM parameters instead of piggybacking it. Isn't the SERT user-programmable with a laptop? Seems if I wanted to dyno tune it, I could use an independent dyno and my laptop, like it would be with a PC.
You are correct. I am not advocating a PC, rather telling you it is an option. If you are going to tune it yourself, you would do better with a SERT because you will be able to know what the starting parameters are. At the end of the day however IMHO you would be better off with a professional dyno tune regardless of which option you chose.

Quick Reply: running with unknown SERT mapping