Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Need help from the mechanics in the group

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 03:07 AM
UltraClassic_2007
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help from the mechanics in the group

Well I have an ongoing problem that my mechanic here in Italy can't seem to get a grip on. It is really hard with the language barrier here and I have tried to explaine it to him the best I can.

When the wife and I left for Bike Week my 07 UC wouldn't start. I would turn on the ignition and the alarm would dis-arm, the diagnostics test would run and I would push the start button. I would get a very faint click from the selinoid but that was it. I finally traced it to the small plastic quick connect connecter for the negative side of the starter. I took it to my mechanic in Udine and he looked at it but as my luck works it did not reproduce in front of him.

I had my heated hand grips installed and told him that I was still having the problem. He looked at it but it doesn't look like he fixed it. I did talk to him a bit and from what I could understand he couldn't get it to reproduce the problem again. I washed my bike last night after I drove home in the rain and the thing will not start again. I am going to go buy some WD-40 and see if I can't dry out the connecter but does anyone have any idea on what I could do to perminantly fix the problem?

Old 09-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Default RE: Need help from the mechanics in the group

Click but no turn over is really fairly simple to track down. You do have to trace it when it is acting up. Even a test light would work, but I alway prefer to use a meter. Just find the spot where you don't have +12v when you get the click only. Check the starter, then the next further up end of the wire, probably on the solenoid, etc. until you find it. Also, is the starter solenoid clicking or the starter relay? As the starter relay triggers the solenoid and the relay will have a faint click, where the solenoid whould have a pretty loud click, as clicks go.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:38 PM
Iron Pony
Advanced
Default RE: Need help from the mechanics in the group

Had a similiar problem with my 07 Ultra. The starter ground wire at the starter need to be tightened and the starter bolts need to be tighened also. Dealer said they had seen a few of these and 'hoped" this would fix it . It has been starting fine for almost a month now.

Good Luck,
Iron Pony

Old 05-19-2011, 01:28 PM
italo rinaldelli
Stage I

my bike was in storage for 8 months now it will not start, also when cranking it is dumping oil. what to do?