Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PCIII, Sert, or TMax.. Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 08:48 AM
FXWGG
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCIII, Sert, or TMax.. Which one?

I have a 07 Ultra. Am thinking about going with Rinehart True Duals with SE air cleaner but can't make up my mind on a PCIII, Sert or a Thundermax. What do you guys like and why?[/align]Thanks,[/align]Bobby[/align]

Old 09-29-2007, 08:57 AM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: PCIII, Sert, or TMax.. Which one?

I tried the power commander and even though it was set-up quite good I could never have performance and MPG,the T-MAX really works well,smoother,power,mpg and no more dyno pulls (5) for every change I do.Its the best money I have spent besidesthe IDS.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:32 AM
bdavis385
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the Tmax since I plan on other changes down the road and don't like all the dyno pulls you have to pay for.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:32 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I had a similiar setup and was running the V&H fuelpak. Never tried the PCIII or Sert. Don't like the idea of the Sert as no possibility to get your money back after marrying it to your ECM and if you every blow the ECM, you will probably have to buy another SERT.

PCIII with a good tuner using a dyno can set you up perfect for you setup...change anything and you will probably have to adjust.

A few more buck and you are in the big time with the TMAX. This unit allows tuning of every parameter of the engine and will tune A/F ratios to your settings. You can download a map close to your setup and let the unit tune itself. And where the map falls short (rich or lean) you can adjust the setting. You can change the timing either on a dyno or just driving on the road to maximize your power and set the timing just short of detonation. Hell, if you are cheap you can set the timing so you can run regular gas if you wanted. And, if you sell the bike this can be sold and recoup some of your funds.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:50 PM
christian0632
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the PCIII and I'm pretty pleased. I chose that based on price, tunability, and I like the fact that if something ever happens, I can revert back to the stock ECM.

Experts all agree that the SERT is the best way to go since it actually re-programs the ECM. However, I did not like the fact that you could not move it from bike to bike and I was a little lery of it's advanced programming features.

The Tmax has received rave reviews on the forum but it's expensive and I'm not so sure about Yardstick's quote that it will "tune every parameter of the engine". I haven't heard that it will auto-tune your timing.

I like my PCIII and I like the fact that if I decide to return the bike to stock, I can sell it to someone else that has an Ultra. I got mine through FuelMoto and spent less than $300.00. Pretty cheap compared to some of the other fuel management systems out there. I also like that I can adjust timing, A/F ratios, rev limit, and a few other cool features. If you have a laptop, it is pretty simple to adjust a setting and download the new map to the PCIII.

Also, check this website for some really good info on all types of fuel management systems:

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/m...efi_basics.htm

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Old 09-30-2007, 08:45 AM
baldjohnny
Cruiser

T-Max for me was an easy install, basically plug n play. Rangreat right from the get go, only real issue I had was mileage. I'm working on that through the maps. Some people have had some issues, but luckily my bike has been a good one right from the start. You get past the idea of the price, its a damn nice unit that gives you some self-sufficiency when dealing with problems. I've talked to Pete at Zipper's before, as far as support goes, pretty damn comfortable about calling/ e-mailing him if I have questions. There's a lot of mechanics on this forum who speak up positively for all the systems (SERT, PC111, T-Max, DTT, whatever), this just worked out well for me. I just wanted to buy one system and be done with it, researching through all the posts for some time convinced me the T-Max was the way to go.I'll deal with any potential warranty issue if/ when it happens, only got the standard two years anyway.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:27 PM
FXWGG
Cruiser

ttt

Old 10-03-2007, 07:34 AM
Wayno765
Novice

I went with the T-max because it's simple, easy to use and compensates for changes I might make in the future. After searching this site for the same advice, I notice guys that bought SERT, PCIII or others ended up buying several tuners as they made mods. Many ended up with the T-max. I figure, in the long run, I'm saving money by not buying and going through the trial and error of the other tuners.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:02 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, depends on how much of a "hands on" person you are and who isavailable to service your bike. Certain shops will not even look at your tuning or engineproblems if you have certain systems, may want to get some input from your service shop.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:00 PM
FXWGG
Cruiser

I just ordered the TMax with the Rinehart True Duals and a Big Sucker from Eastern Preformance. I will pick them up on Friday when they come up to Ripken Stadium for the Dreamcatcher show.[/align][/align]Thanks for all your replies and help.[/align]

Quick Reply: PCIII, Sert, or TMax.. Which one?