Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuel injection v Carb ?$?$?$?$?$?$

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 05:29 AM
1peter
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel injection v Carb ?$?$?$?$?$?$

I was just thinking (scary I know)that one of the main debates about EFIv CARB is the reliability and cost over a long period of time (for those of us that intend keeping their bike for lots and lots of years)So I'm wondering what is the single most expensive part youcouldhave to replace with an EFI system??? Does anyone know? Has anyone with an early model EFIbike had any major (or other)problems with their EFI? If so,how many miles did you have on the bike when the problem arose, and what was the problem ,and what did it cost to fix? Oh yeah,did it let you down on the road ,or did you ride to a dealer?? Maybe I have too much time on my hands, lol,but I am curious! I wonder if the computer will still be happily plodding along when my bike has 150,000, miles on it??? I know I can make a carby keep going that long!!!

Old 09-27-2007, 05:50 AM
08CVORK
Cruiser
Default RE: Fuel injection v Carb ?$?$?$?$?$?$

A computer is as reliable as the float in a carburator! The only wearing parts in an injection system is the butterfly shaft/seals and the injectors themselves but these will far outlast the engine. From a reliability standpoint, they both have weaknesses with the same types of malfunctions with dirt, water in the fuel and etc. I personally would not go back to a carburator due to the fact that the computer does the managing in all aspects from cold starts to running in the high mountains where the air is thin. A carburator needs to be constantly diddled with anywhere beyond it's ability to compensate for atmospheric changes - a very limited area. Fuel injection and it's related controling hardware/software are reliable enough to 'forget about' in the operation of the average automobile today so, the same holds true with a 150,000 mile Harley Davidson engine.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:41 AM
chester1957
Road Warrior

When I rode a buddies early efi model I thought it was the biggest POS I'd ever rode and had to convince myself to buy an 07. I'd have an 06 right now if they would have dickered at all on the 06 price. Sure glad they wouldn't. I would never buy a carb again.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:20 AM
baldjohnny
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The carb on my Evo had to be replaced because the needle seat wore out and it wasn't an exchangeable part, went with S & S and it was all good. That cost in the neighborhood of $350.Put the Thundermax on my '07, which cost in the neighborhood of $700. That being said, for those twoHarley's I have had, even with the cost difference, I'd stay with the FI. If the ECM went **** up, I'd just buy another one. If the TB needs some work, I'll fix it. Not an advertisement for TMAX, but in my mind it's a sweet set up for MY application. Took some thinking to say the hell with whatever warranty hassle might pop up down the road, and put down what to me wasn't chump change, but I haven't regretted one cent to change it over. I had heard for years about how nice the FI was, to me between the two bikes, the FI wins out. Loved that Evo though...

Old 09-27-2007, 04:40 PM
1peter
Tourer

Still haven't heard of any FI bikes with big miles on them,anyone out there with big miles on their bikes???

Old 10-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Kenan
Novice

I have a 2003 injected Fat Boy with 18,000 miles. At the moment it is in the shop for the 3rd time, and $800 later they still can't find the problem. At low speeds it isn't too bad. The hesitation on the highway is so bad that sometimes the top speed is 50 MPH. In the shop, connected to the computer it looks fine. The black spark plgs would indicate that it is running too rich, sometimes. Changed the air filter, spark plugs and injectors so far. In general I like fuel injection but I'm not the one to ask at the moment. If anyone has some ideas I'm all ears.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:06 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two other EFIs I ride with have more mileage than my 30K. Of course, they haven't gone through Stage I/StageII/StageIII upgrades with their Magneti-Marelli (you know, the one all the experts tell you is a POS) like I have. However, all three of us experienced the same performance:
FLAWLESS

Old 10-15-2007, 03:12 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

I have a 1998 FLHTCUI equipped with the earlier Magneti-Marelli EFI system. I currently have around 58,000 miles and have had very little problems with it. This system was dumped.....Dealers and riders didn't understand the system. It certainly was not a bad system at all and is very reliable if simply left alone.

I replaced the Idle Air Control (IAC) at about 55,000 miles. Cost was nearly $100. The previous owner never replaced anything related to the EFI system.

Every once in awhile, this system looses its cold/hot idle memory.....a simple adjustment is all that is needed.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:35 AM
Frisian HD
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Isit possible to rebuild your Harley back from injection to carburator?

I mean if you can build your carb-version to injection, it must be possible the otherway round, or what?

Old 10-18-2007, 11:19 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Sure. Why not. All you'll need is to modify the tank so you'll have gravity feed with a petcock. A little more creativity will give you a reserve setting (which I miss from days of old). Then, of course, get the proper intake manifold and carb. Finally, you'll need a dedicated ignition controller.

Minor details will abound when it comes to throttle cable interface and such, but it should all be very doable.

In the end, though, wouldn't it just be cheaper to get one of the replacement ECUs with full-range AFR feedback and stick with the fuel injection system?

Quick Reply: Fuel injection v Carb ?$?$?$?$?$?$