Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuel injection v Carb ?$?$?$?$?$?$

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 02:28 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuel injection v Carb ?$?$?$?$?$?$

ORIGINAL: Frisian HD

Isit possible to rebuild your Harley back from injection to carburator?

I mean if you can build your carb-version to injection, it must be possible the otherway round, or what?
Yes it is possible. A Brother of mine did on his FLTABCDE what ever. Two reasons he did it (it's a 98 with over 80,000 miles) is it left him stuck on the road because of a temp senser went out on the way to Four Corners. The other reason is another Brother has a 1985 stock (except pipes and carb) that would beat him of the line every time.

By the way EFI on the older bikes (pre closed loop) do not compinsate any better for altitude then the CV carb.
Still trying to learn more on the new closed loop bikes looking forward to after market computers. So far I don't like the way HD has put the O2 sensers in the pipes ecspecally the front pipe. (Closed loop is like the fuel injection in your car for those that don't know)

Old 10-20-2007, 11:02 AM
fastbagger
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend has a '05 Ultra Classic. He traded his 02 Ultra Classic with 80K miles never had a problem.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:15 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The bottom line is: there are those of us who learned how to tune carbs and know how to correctly maintain them.A lot less expensive for me and quite a bit more enjoyable knowing that breakdowns are of no concern,and I do enjoy tinkering.Fuel injection is a great thing for those of you that just want to ride.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:14 AM
adlerx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The MM/EFI was not very good on my built '01 FLTRI. All kinds of tuning issues that were like throwing money down a hole. I finally got fed up and switched it to carb, it was a straight forward swap and no more expensive than another trip to some dyno clown. It was without a doubt the best mod I ever did to that bike! If I would have had a delphi, I would have not done the carb swap, plenty of guys out there that know how to tune them plus there's the T'Max and other auto tune wide band replacement systems available now. Except of course for the 08 Touring bikes which is what I have now.....

Old 10-25-2007, 11:35 AM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Kenan

I have a 2003 injected Fat Boy with 18,000 miles. At the moment it is in the shop for the 3rd time, and $800 later they still can't find the problem. At low speeds it isn't too bad. The hesitation on the highway is so bad that sometimes the top speed is 50 MPH. In the shop, connected to the computer it looks fine. The black spark plgs would indicate that it is running too rich, sometimes. Changed the air filter, spark plugs and injectors so far. In general I like fuel injection but I'm not the one to ask at the moment. If anyone has some ideas I'm all ears.
Assuming your shop didn't do it already (which they should have), I'd pull the guts out of the fuel tank and check over the fuel pump, pressure regulator, and fuel lines. My '03 had similar symptoms and it turned out the tab on the pressure regulator housing had snapped.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:23 PM
genedjr
Road Captain

I always hate this topic, but I have to comment.[:@]

Carbs are not as controllable/tunable as EFI. Carbs rely on physics to operate effectively. Carbs have a fairly narrow altitude tollerance.
EFI has a grid (map) that defines the fuel amount and duration for each pulse (usually 120 spaces each for fuel and spark). EFI relys on electronic timing matched to physical timing. EFI has a very broad altitude range (I have road my 03 RK from 100 feet below sea level to 14,110 feet above, no issues).

If carbs were better, top fuel dragsters would still be using them.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:49 PM
draycer
Intermediate

It's 2007! Wouldn't but a car with a carb, so why buy a bike with one. Heck my snowmobile is efi. Nuff said.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:55 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Peter: You're right; it is scary.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:33 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have 68k miles on my 2000 Road King, which of course has the said to be crappy Marelli FI system on it. It has pretty much been bullet proof. The only thing that has gone bad is the fast idle acutator. I had it replaced once under warranty. It crapped out again a year or two later. I didn't replace it. You don't need it. All it does is hold the throttle a tad open on cold starts. Most of us haveused the throttle friction screw to do the same thing on carb bikes, anyway. It works the same for a FI bike.

I'm not worried about it breaking down and have all of the parts to replace if I need to. I got a complete FI system off of a bike from where a guy was doing a big build and wanted a carb. I got the whole system for the cost of shipping.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:21 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

I have 68k miles on my 2000 Road King, which of course has the said to be crappy Marelli FI system on it. It has pretty much been bullet proof. The only thing that has gone bad is the fast idle acutator. I had it replaced once under warranty. It crapped out again a year or two later. I didn't replace it. You don't need it. All it does is hold the throttle a tad open on cold starts. Most of us haveused the throttle friction screw to do the same thing on carb bikes, anyway. It works the same for a FI bike.

I'm not worried about it breaking down and have all of the parts to replace if I need to. I got a complete FI system off of a bike from where a guy was doing a big build and wanted a carb. I got the whole system for the cost of shipping.
I did the same thing.....I found a almost new takeoff Magnetti Marelli throttle body. It came off of a 1999 model.....had all the sensors I needed. I think I paid like $20 for it plus shipping. Not needed any parts off of it yet.....but it is there when I do need it. I know alot badmouth this system.....in reality, it is actually a pretty good simple system.

Quick Reply: Fuel injection v Carb ?$?$?$?$?$?$