Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 06:40 AM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Spark Plugs

WildBill

That's about the most honest and truthful answer I have ever seen. I was curious how many would post that they see differences in the plug of their choice over the stock plug of the same heat range.

The type/brand of plug used in most stock or lightly modified engine will not make a difference in the running. The primary purpose of the plug is to spark the fuel mixture and what the expensive plugs compared to the stock plugs do is this.
I can't see any valid reason to spend all the cash for the fancy plugs over stock ones unless the cash is just overflowing your pocket, there's really no advantage other than longer life of the plugwhich compared to the cost is still not going to offset the difference.
I would rather use the stock plug and replace it yearly than lay out the cost of the expensive counterpart and run them for more time with no other benefits.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:42 AM
glide
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: drdiesel1

NGK/ND Iridium's get my vote.... High quality plugs with a good reputation of highperformance without resistance problems.
What modifications are done to your engine that you feel you need these plugs?
Also where does the "resistance" come into play with your engine?

Old 10-07-2007, 12:46 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: glide

NGK/ND Iridium's get my vote.... High quality plugs with a good reputation of highperformance without resistance problems.
What modifications are done to your engine that you feel you need these plugs?
Also where does the "resistance" come into play with your engine?
My 07 FLHX has a DTT/WEGO IID with RHTD`s, SE-A/F and Zippers RedShift 575s cams.
My 08 FLHTCU has a SERT with SE-Slip-On`s and a SE-A/F.
I have had 18 Sport bikes over the last 10 years. The last 4 years they have all ran the Iridium Plugs.
The longer life of this type of plug is a desirable benefit for me. It`s my personal preference of extended lifewith less plug replacement work. This also reduces the likelihood of plug bore thread problems from pulled/galled threads.
The stock plugs are should we say a minimum functional requirement. The cheapest bidder for bulk plugs wins the contract for spark plug supplier.
I have had Champion spark plugs cause major resistance issues with newly designed secondary ignition system components to the point of internal electrode failure.
The electrode has turned to dust inside the porcelain isolator with misfire problems. This has most likely been resolved over the past couple of years, but I just don`t think staying with the stock plug for me is a good move monetarilyor from a maintenance stand point. I hate to perform unnecessary work/repairs due to inferior products. The extradimes spent on a good high quality plug with a known(to me) reputation and track record is the one touse for mymoney.
Personal experiences may differ. This is mine and I`m sticking to it. If your looking at it from a money standpoint, that's OK with me. I think otherwise.
After 30 years as an automotive/drivability technician with GM. I have first hand experience with spark plugs and related failures. I have witnessed the plug fads and changes that are designed to remove money from your wallet with claims of added performance, power and fuel economy. The only performance enhancement has been with the Iridium plugs. They will help improve the combustion process and last longer from a performance point of view.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:18 PM
glide
Road Warrior

Tim

Thanks for that reply.

The point I was trying to bring out is compression ratio and the "need" for specialized plugs. I see your point about replacing but with the proper preparations such as anti seize, it becomes something of a non issue when replacing plugs once a year or as mileage dictates.

Plugs to me is like some people touting certain oils. I've said it before that if the oil or the plugs were changed without the persons knowledge, there would be no difference recognized by that person even after the claims made by some about the advantages of that particular product.

I understand your point about the cheapest bidder in regards to the plugs but I feel the plugs are made for a particular application and that other brands are "close" to the proper heat ranges that the stock plugs were manufactured to operate in. All in all the exact heat range isn't a major thing as some have varied the plug to change the heat range characteristics .

I guess what I'm trying to bring out is the fact that someone buys a bike and starts to re manufacture certain aspects thinking they have a better handle on it than the engineers that design them and quite often end up with running problems such as pinging/detonation that can be traced back to a modification they made and then bad mouth the manufacturer of a product that they have changed in error.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:04 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: glide

Tim

Thanks for that reply.

The point I was trying to bring out is compression ratio and the "need" for specialized plugs. I see your point about replacing but with the proper preparations such as anti seize, it becomes something of a non issue when replacing plugs once a year or as mileage dictates.

Plugs to me is like some people touting certain oils. I've said it before that if the oil or the plugs were changed without the persons knowledge, there would be no difference recognized by that person even after the claims made by some about the advantages of that particular product.

I understand your point about the cheapest bidder in regards to the plugs but I feel the plugs are made for a particular application and that other brands are "close" to the proper heat ranges that the stock plugs were manufactured to operate in. All in all the exact heat range isn't a major thing as some have varied the plug to change the heat range characteristics .

I guess what I'm trying to bring out is the fact that someone buys a bike and starts to re manufacture certain aspects thinking they have a better handle on it than the engineers that design them and quite often end up with running problems such as pinging/detonation that can be traced back to a modification they made and then bad mouth the manufacturer of a product that they have changed in error.
Yes. I agree with you completely.
Monkey See - Monkey Doo.
That's why I stated I have seen the plug fads over the years. Split-fire comes to mind first....What a dupe job that one was. It`s almost as bad as the Z-Max crap Carol Shelby promotes. That stuff is dyed Castor oil with slick advertising to get your money. Oil is the same way. Now synthetic is a good oil, but all the other claims made are nothing more than advertising. Some do have better additive packs than others. But beyond that they are the same. I prefer Synthetic over Dino.
I prefer ND, NGKand A/C Delco plugs over any other brand. I have used them in my race motors for my cars and motorcycles with good results.
When I find something that works good for me. I stick with it for as long as it remains a good or available product.
As far as compression ratio`s go. I prefer anything 10:1 and under for street use. Especially on my H-D`s. So an ND Iridium plug that matches the OEM heat range would be my replacement choice for a good quality plug. I know the OEM`s work, but I also know the ND Iridium`s work better for me. I only replace my plugs by miles and not a time base schedule. JMO.....Thanks.
FYI...A good spark plug needs no anti-seize compound. A good plug like the ND`s and NGK`s have a coating on the threads to protect against electrolysis and seizing.A good plugalso reduces my need to change plugs and I like anything that will reduce my labor. I`m lazy. Idrive a Cummins Diesel so I don`tneed to relace plugs...Now that`s Lazy........J/K.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:56 PM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

In the Import Twin Turbo world, we toss Denso Irridium plugs in the garbage and use NGK Irridums. This is with 25+pounds of boost and 600+ hp too.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:39 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: donk_316

In the Import Twin Turbo world, we toss Denso Irridium plugs in the garbage and use NGK Irridums. This is with 25+pounds of boost and 600+ hp too.
Wholly spool-ups batman..[8D]That's some serious HP/Boost numbers from a little jap can...
What`s the problem with ND`s "VS" NGK`s..???

Old 10-07-2007, 07:04 PM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Wholly spool-ups batman..[8D]That's some serious HP/Boost numbers from a little jap can...
yeah believe it or not she is on full boost by 4k too and pulls solid to 8k...

Anyways, it seems the Densos "crap out earlier" than the NGKs and the NGK seems to be all or nothing so there are no ignition gremlins to chase down with a "on-off" plug

Old 10-07-2007, 07:27 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: donk_316

yeah believe it or not she is on full boost by 4k too and pulls solid to 8k...

Anyways, it seems the Densos "crap out earlier" than the NGKs and the NGK seems to be all or nothing so there are no ignition gremlins to chase down with a "on-off" plug
Yes..Those are some extreme operating condition.How many passes do you get before replacement is required.???? 2..[:@]