Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Are all fuel management system equal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Vengeance
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are all fuel management system equal?

I was told that all fuel management systems were all the same… Does anyone know of a comparison report like a bike version of “consumer report” on fuel management system?

Old 09-21-2007, 10:16 AM
cjuetten
Tourer
Default RE: Are all fuel management system equal?

They are as different as apples,oranges and pears. Some piggy back on the stock ECM (PCIII), Othersallow you to adjust the stock ECM (SERT)and somereplace thestock ECM (T-MAX) and convert your system from Narrow Band to Wide Band O2 sensors. Plus a half a dozen or so others.Lots of good info here from "Consumers". Start SEARCHingand read up. Bottom line you get what you pay for.

Been kinda boring here since the tranny issues have tappered off....might as well start another Tuner Thread.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:02 PM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can start here:
http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/0704_...jection_tuning

TMAX is my vote!!

But, as cjuettenrecommends, spend the weekend and go get smart using threads in this forum. You will be much more informative and will make a better decision. Of course, based on your pocket change!! You can also use v-twinforum for your research.

good luck and don;t be afraid to ask questions!!

Old 09-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Vengeance
5th Gear

Thanks!. Will be spending the weekend to digest the info.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Dsanchez
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense but...they is NO WAY that fuel management systems are all the same as pointed out earlier. Some are wide band some are not, some auto tune most don't, some you can manipulate timing and other factors, some you cant. They is a TON of info on here about it...sort through it and study. Also be careful about who you get info from.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:23 PM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

See if this works, if it doesn't check out Daytona Twin techs site. This only compares a few. Missing is there very own TCFI IID which I run which is very similar to the T-max auto tune. My opinion is the TCFI IID and the T-max are the best but are not cheap and not worth it if only doing airfilter changes and exhaust. Here goes,

Old 09-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Vengeance
5th Gear

There are some notable pro's and con's to some of the fuel managers. The SE tuner is nice for the fact that you don't require any added hardware to the bike but if you require to restore the ECM to factory setting during a trip, you require a PC. Now does adding a fuel manager void any warranties?

Old 09-22-2007, 01:10 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll go a step further, and say that in my experience, don't get the Zippers unless you get the Auto-Tuner too. Otherwise it's just another open look ECM swap, and might as well be a Delphi with SERT.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:33 AM
Vengeance
5th Gear

T-max tuner seems too good to be true! Having an auto-tuner seem like the right choice....Why wouldn't the t-max use the O2 sensors that are on the '07.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:27 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My sugestion is to decide for yourself what you want to achieve, and how much you are willing to spend. Some systems will give you limited options, but if thats all you want or need then thats likely the way to go.

My opinion for what its worth is this, I like the O2 sensors and removeing them is a retrograde step. Narrow band sensors are limited in what they can cater for but likewise if one goes bad then the bike will still be rideable. Now I have no knowledge on how reliable the O2 sensors are but they reside in a pretty harsh enviornment. Most but not all piggy back systems do not use the O2 sensors.

I have no personal experience of the Tmax so cant comment.

The PCIII usb was a good system on my 04 softail, although space was tight for fitting. I tuned it without a dyno and did 10,000 trouble free happy miles on it that way.

The SERT I have fitted to my 07 RK is the best system I have used thus far. It does take time to read and re-read the manual, and I had to ask a lot of dumb questions on this forum. But with the help and guidance of many on this site I have managed to tune my bike without a dyno, through the data logging software that comes with the SERT. I simply loaded the canned map closest to my set-up, hooked up my laptop and went for a ride. I used the data gathered to tweak the tune, and another data run and so on. The SERT isnt cheap, and I guess for most of us its overkill, but given the options I would choose the SERT again.

I dont suppose this reply has helped much but like I said at the start the most important thing is to think about what you are trying to acheive first, and be clear about your aims and objectives.

WB

Quick Reply: Are all fuel management system equal?