Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 03:25 PM
Jackel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help

I've just got my ThunderMax Auto Tuner and installed it yesterday along with a set of V&H big radius pipes and a K&N air cleaner kit, all went well until I started the bike she wouldn't idle, back fired thru theintake and stalled, tried another map with out luck. I spent all day today on the phonewith Randy from Zippers still no luck I need to send it back around 2 weeks turn around this is going to kill me. My question is can I run the bike with the stock ECM, and the O2 sensors unplugged and not cause any problems down the road. I would like to be able to ride, but not at the expense of more repairs. the bike is a 07 soft tail (night train)
Thanks inadvance

Old 09-20-2007, 03:55 PM
bdavis385
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Need some help

What maps did you use? My set up is the same without the V&H pipes. Runs great.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:49 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

No, you'll be throwing codes because the stock ECM will be looking for data that isn't there. Probably run like crap too. Put your stock sensors back in when you switch the ECM.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Jackel
Advanced

Thanks for the reply, that's what I was thinking "it would run like crap" not much better that it did with the tuner in her.
bdavis: it was map 393 I believe I don't have it in front of me. the AFR would not adjust they were both lean but rear cylinder was much leaner than the front. I think we traced it down to the auto tune was not doing it's thing, but when we ran it in open loop it didn't change anything with the bike either it just wouldn't idleit woulld run about 10 or 15 sec. then stall.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:14 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Sounds like IAC issues to me.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:37 AM
microrose
1st Gear

I just bought my first Harley in May of 2007 (Softail Custom) and had a dealer install the Tmax w/auto tune. After all the research I was convinced it was the best on the market and I still am. After the install I noticed it ran way better than the stock ECM, but got worse and worse over the next two weeks. It back fired and stalled when I started the bike. I threw my laptop on the bike and noticed the rear AFR was doing fine, but the front AFR would peg at 19.36 (lean) after reaching about 180 degrees. I replaced the front sensor (ouch $$) with no difference. I just emailed Randy with all my experiences and a log. Today I'm shipping the unit back to see what's wrong.

I'm curious if you have learned anything from Tmax yet?

Thanks....

Old 10-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Arcane
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try clearing the "learned idle control adjustments" and the "learned fuel adjustments",
then reinitialize the T-Max and go trough the IAC set up routine. Unless of course, you have already tried that.

Arcane

Old 10-03-2007, 11:24 AM
microrose
1st Gear

Yep, did that including reloading the firmware too. I even ordered a $75 USB to serial adapter thinking the one I had was too slow. One thing I did not mention is the installer added 16" to the wire going from the ECM to the O2 plug. Zippers did not like that so I had it removed. Another Murphy, found the same wire routed under a nylon fastener, looked like it got pinched since I'm sitting on the seat. I called Tmax and we figured let's replace that length of wire with new, so I did. All of this did not seem to make much difference and Zippers does not like any wires cut. Don't ask me why they did that, it just made the finger pointing a lot more difficult. My dad worked at Hughes helicopter on the Apache's as an engineer, so I verified with him the resistance loss if any on loosing a .25" on the resolder for a wire that is about 27" long. He said not an issue, even when you are measuring milli-volts. Appreciate the response, the first time I re-did the tune it ran worse because I did not clear all the stuff first.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Jackel
Advanced

I got the tuner back the other day. The paper work showed that they bench tested the unit and the IAC failed and the module was replaced. I have not spoke to anyone up their so I don't know any more than that "sorry", but I got it installed yesterday and all seems to be fine so far. I know mine was a real lean condition too, but it was both front and rear cylinders.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:29 PM
microrose
1st Gear

Well I'm glad to here their parts do fail in wierdway, because they were telling me it was everything but their ECM. I spent over two months on the phone with them and finally I'm shipping it back today. I could have done all of this faster if I would have installed it myself in the first place. At least your situation gives me some amunition when I speak to them again. Back in May when I started researching all the ECM's, you just could not find anyone saying anything bad anywhere about the Tmax. I'm still convinced it's the right product and I sure don't want to go back to stock on a 2007. I have the Rush 2" baffle slipons on my bike now, but it seems everywhere I go you see alot of Rienharts. After this settles down maybe I'll get a set next year. P.S. Got a spare TmaxO2 sensor I might sell, those things are'nt cheap. Thanks for the feedback Jackel!

Quick Reply: Need some help