Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

speedometer question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 06:12 PM
midasmike
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer question

i have a '00 xlh 1200 s. in order to register it in ca. i need 7500 miles on the clock because it's an out of state bike. it only has 7200. my question is, can i disconnect the speedo, attach it to an outside drive source and run an additional 300 miles on the clock? any ideas or suggestions will be greatfully appreciated. the bikes in my garage dying to be ridden and i'm in agony not being able to ride it!!!!!!!

Old 02-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Iceman
Tourer
Default RE: speedometer question

hop on it and drive 150 miles out. turn around and go home [8D]

as long as you dont draw attention to yourself you should be ok.

if you dont feel like taking that chance, i don't know if you can "put the drill to it" as you suggested, but you could raise the rear wheel off the ground and put it in gear.
you could also swap speedo's with someone who has more miles.

why does the peoples republic of california make everything so difficult????

Old 02-09-2005, 11:51 PM
midasmike
Novice

i've considered riding it but i'm worried about getting stopped. hard to be stealthy on a loud harley. i talked to a couple of my motorhead friends about putting it on a stand but they say running it that long with no load on the chassis and drivetrain would probably be harmfull. swapping out the speedo w/another is a good possibility. i'm also trying to find a shop with a dyno that i could rent. don't know if i could run the bike for 3 hours @ 100mph but i could probably put 300 mi. on it safely in 4.5 or 5 hours. anyway thanks for the response. i'll post the results when i get it done.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:06 AM
diddleigh
Intermediate

I would be surprised if it fits, but I have an old speedo with about 14k from my '90 fxst.
I am in SoCa. If it fits I can send it to you.

Just a thought.

Old 02-10-2005, 02:48 AM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

WTF is the reasoning behind requiring 7500 miles?!?! Cali is whacked!

Old 02-10-2005, 03:13 AM
midasmike
Novice

thanks for the offer. afraid it won't work. my speedo is electronic. no cable to the hub. as far as the reasoning behind the 7500 mile limit. haven't a clue. could not get an explanation from dmv. go figure. don't stop with the suggestions you guys. i'm desperate. anyone out there with a '00xhl1200s with more then 7500 on the clock please lend me your speedo for a couple of days so i can get my baby legalized. i have a connection for cuban cigars. i would be happy to lay some on anyone who comes up with a solution. thanks again to everyone on this board. makes a new guy like me proud to be a harley owner.

Old 02-10-2005, 03:20 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

What does it matter if the speedo works. No one will drive it at the DMV will they. I would think as long as it reads a odometer mileage that would be good enough. I also dont understand why you just dont drive it. 300miles is hardly a good day ride. Im from AL, and backwards we are in alot of ways, but I dont get any of this BS.

Old 02-10-2005, 03:52 AM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I say go for it on the 300 mile ride. How many times have you ridden all day and not been pulled over. Loud harley or not the odds are in your favor.

Old 02-10-2005, 04:00 AM
Pirate
Road Master

Hook up with the Local HOG Chapter and hit one of their rides. In a bunch of bikes on a weekend ride like that your not likely to get yanked over.

Really sucks to have to put up with that BS... Here in georgia you have to ride around for roughly 30 days with no tag... Just a "tag applied for" card.

Old 02-10-2005, 04:29 AM
skyking
Tourer

Mike,

I can't help you with how to get the miles on your bike, but as a California cop, I can tell you the reason for the 7500 mile requirement. The reason is actually two-fold. First, California has more stringent emissions requirements than other states. Vehicles manufactured for sale in California must have catalytic converters and charcoal canister. The second reason is that California gets 7.75% of your purchase price in sales tax. Legislators realize how easy it would be for Californians to simply drive to Oregon, where there is no sales tax, to purchase their new vehicle. Then return and just pay registration fees. Hence the 7500 mile requirement to bring out-of-state vehicles into California.

If your bike has current out-of-state registration, it is unlikely you will be stopped if you ride to put the 300 miles on. And, even if you are stopped, most...not all, cops will cut you a break if you explain your circumstances. This last point assumes you are legal otherwise....valid license and insurance, no warrants, etc.

Regards,
Rick

Quick Reply: speedometer question