Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

speedometer question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 04:31 AM
investorsc
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: speedometer question

The "Komunist Kalifornia" theory behind the rule is that you are not purchasing a vehicle outside of the Republik of Kalifornia for the express interest of bringing in a used vehicle from the "free and united states" to circumvent their restrictive vehicle emissions laws. A vehicle canot be considered as "USED" unless it has the mandated 7500 miles on it.

That said- I say fill out the paperowrk, put down 7900 miles and call it a day. If an actual visual of the bike is required- you have 2 options-

Pursue the current course of getting the miles on it (I say ride it)-or possible having Harley or another speedo shop calibrate the unit with the miles you tell them- it cna be done electronically (They are hesitant to drop mile back- but up is not usually a prob).

-----------------------------------------------or-----------------------------------------------------

Tell th inspector you speedo broke at the 800 mile point, and was replaced with a new 0 mile unit. I believe there is a mileage discrepancy form avail from the republik (Again- mile up is OK, miles down BAD.

My .02 and more than this silly rule deserves![sm=headbang.gif][sm=rant.gif][sm=icon_beat.gif]

BRUCE

Old 02-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

midasmike, is there any way to get a temporary tag to get your miles?

Old 02-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...and all this time I thought the People's Republik of New Jersey was bad [sm=smiley29.gif]

Old 02-10-2005, 12:07 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Ride it.

Old 02-10-2005, 12:28 PM
midasmike
Novice

thanks to all for the timely responses. the bike doesn't have current tags or reg. card so riding it would be risky. wasn't aware of a milage discrepancy form at dmv. i'll check that out this am. great suggestion. if the form is available, problem solved. i stopped by the local bike shop an they told me the speedo head has to be sent back to the factory for any calibration work. haven't checked with the local dealer but will this am. as far as substituting another speedo w/enough milage on the clock working or not. that would work as the inspection would only be visual. all i need is a speedo that will mount. i'm probably being paranoid about getting stopped on a ride but without current registration my insurance will be void if i'm involved in any type of accident. don't know what laws i'd be violating riding the bike as it is. how about it SKY. what would the write up be if you stopped me? looks like a trip to the local harley dealer and dmv is in order. i'll post later today with results.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:08 PM
jcc/tx
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure the speedo just get pulses on the input wire, so a pulse generator should run up the miles, but I would borrow a tag and ride it!!!

Old 02-10-2005, 01:11 PM
bigB
Intermediate

your insurance would have to pay on any claims, BUT then they would drop you. So if you ain't got 7500 miles on the bike when brought to Cal. they consider it a new bike and want 7.75% sales tax. Sounds like double taxation.[:@] Couldn't ya show em proof that ya already paid sales tax somewhere else?

Old 02-10-2005, 01:46 PM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like more greedy politicians BS to me! It is in every state in some form or another!

Old 02-10-2005, 02:07 PM
midasmike
Novice

what's a pulse generator? where would i go to find one?

Old 02-10-2005, 03:46 PM
skyking
Tourer

Mike,

Without current registration, if you get pulled over, the bike could be impounded. You can ride on private property without registration. You might consider taking it to a local race track and riding laps until you hit the magic number. Also, there are a number of abandoned airstrips in California. Runways are usually 3000 to 5000 feet long. It is unlawful to tamper with the speedo, regardless if you are taking miles off, or putting them on.

Good luck,
Rick

Quick Reply: speedometer question