Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

any body with 07 and a tmax with auto tune got ride of your pinging

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 03:53 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: any body with 07 and a tmax with auto tune got ride of your pinging

Not sure what is meant by pinging, but if you mean the engine is knocking because of over advanced timeing, lean fuel or low grade fuel then the stock ecm has knock sensors that should be enabled (they can be dissabled by a dealer or by use of the SERT). The knock sensors will retard timeing to counter knock.

Of course with the tuner you can also add fuel or retard the timeing if you regularly have to use low grade gas. High octain gas also helps prevent knock, because it is less prone to preignition, and is preferred by many people running high comp engines.

Knock or pre-ignition can also be caused by excessive carbon build ups or by using the wrong plug heat range.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:03 AM
FXWGG
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having a problem with it pinging at 80 MPH in 6th gear. I just yesterday added Rineharts T/D and TMax. I had ordered a Ness Big Sucker but it came missing parts and I couldnt instal. Supposed to get parts today and them maybe I can fire it up. The pinging was with completley stock bike with only 2000 miles on the clock. I cant wait to see if the Tmax helps with the heat issues and pinging.[/align]Thanks for your reply.[/align]Bobby[/align]

Old 10-07-2007, 06:08 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Firehog, did followed your lead, no pinging, also increased the self learn from 5 - 20 % to 20 - 50 %, changed the AFR target from 13 to 12.8. Took the bike for a 30 minute ride, highway and back roads, shut the bike off at 3 lights to recycle along the way. What a difference, no more pinging, huge pull through 4k RPM, did notice a little chirping (like a little bird) fom under the tank at one light. Plan to get the full heat treatment on the way into work tomorrow, hope it hold out until I get to Daytona in two weeks. Going to have Zippers check it out.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Scotty, I have the Thundermax and used one of their available maps.....HDTSSGVCXE050107.....I am riding a heavier bike...Streetglide. Anyway, that map works perfect....no adjustment needed. I saw a map earlier on this forum that took the timing up to 40 degrees; so I figure on upping my timing. I adjusted the maps adding 2 degrees and got ping. So, took the plus 2 out and returned timing as given on the map. I adjusted the A/F ration to lean it out for economy at cruse. Created heat issues in stop and go traffic....changed it back to the way it was. Took it for a ride yesterday with numerous on and off cycles to get it to tune. Rode with a friend today for 5 hours and ended up with 48 mpg. I can slowly pull away from his heritage springer with SE airkit, Rhinehart mufflers, and V&H fuelpak.

I am running V&H duals with rolling thunder mufflers, SE Airkit. And as you know, the SG is heavier than his bike...we both were in the same gear.

Point being: Use that map and let it tune to your bike....It should get rid of your pinging.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:49 PM
ubreal
Road Master
Received 184 Likes on 98 Posts

Yard stick did you have any clearance problems with the V&H duals and the o2 sensors?

Old 10-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes. Had to remove the rear pipe to install the sensor. After, I adjusted placement of the exhaust system and was able to quit touching the tranny. However, this winter I will probably pull the rear pipe and changeout the placement of the bung.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:05 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Well after a week of running in open road and traffic, approximately 400 miles, I am getting the pinging again and 35 MPG vs the 42 + I was getting. Also have a high idle problem, will go back to the 393 map and maybe leave the self learn in the 20 - 30%, any other suggetions for getting rid of the pinging.