Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Timing advance at idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007 | 03:08 PM
Racerx296
|
5th Gear
Default Timing advance at idle

On a 07 road king SERT, SE Air Cleaner, Rineheart tru duals, question is----> how do I get the idle to sound like the old carb days! I advanced the timing and lowerd idle speed to 900rpm its better but still sounds weak. Any ideas?

Old 09-11-2007 | 06:47 AM
Racerx296
|
5th Gear
Default RE: Timing advance at idle

?

Old 09-11-2007 | 07:17 AM
Dsanchez
Road Captain

I'm no expert...but...do you really want to advance the timing any more than it is already. Supposedly its like 12 degrees advanced as is .

Old 09-11-2007 | 07:58 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Racerx296

On a 07 road king SERT, SE Air Cleaner, Rineheart tru duals, question is----> how do I get the idle to sound like the old carb days! I advanced the timing and lowerd idle speed to 900rpm its better but still sounds weak. Any ideas?
Looks like you might kill the poor critter if you keep messing with it. They have the idle set where it is for a reason and thats oiling and generating power to keep lights lit and battery charging. Try as one might they just are not going to get a FI bike to sound like something it is not. If it was me I'd put things back and learn to love what I have before the repair bills start from tinkering with somethings that are not understood.

Old 09-11-2007 | 05:55 PM
Black Bart
Road Master

If you're looking for a loping idle maybe what you really need is a set of cams?

Bart

[IMG]local://upfiles/16365/AA937B8CA73941978D33F8C45BA80426.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-12-2007 | 11:10 AM
Racerx296
|
5th Gear

Any suggestions? as far as cams cam kits?

Old 09-12-2007 | 01:18 PM
Bellamacchina
Intermediate

If you really want to mess with your idle here is one for 'ya. Get your race tuner out, set front cylinder from map 0-40 and from 500 - 1125 rpm to 12 deg advance and in the next cell at constant rpm to 16 and than back to 12 until you reach 40 map. Do the opposite with the rear cylinder by starting out with 15 deg advance and reduce it to 12. You got my idea? Objective is to destabilize the already uneven firing events even further. Try it out........

Old 09-13-2007 | 06:19 AM
Racerx296
|
5th Gear

I got ya i'll give it a try this weekend sounds like a cool experiment. Have you done this yet?

Thanks

Old 09-13-2007 | 06:50 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member

IMHO cams would be the safest way to accomplish the sound of the older carb bikes. As stated above, EFI bikes idle is set higher to make sure that the charging system is getting enough juice back to the battery. Also I believe factory idol is set to around 1000 rpm, another reason is oil flow to the motor. When you slow down the idol, you dont get as much oil and pressure to the motor, which will cause your bearings to start to go and so on. An S&S 510 cam is about the largest can you can bolt in a bike with no mods to the motor. What your really looking for in a cam for lope at idol will be its durration, not its lift. I know Ill catch some flack from some people around her by saying this, but lift doesnt have much to do with a cams performance, its really how long you can keep that valve open to get gas in and exhaust out. The size of the intake and exhaust runners will always stay the same size, thus lift of the cam will really wont make much of a differance as compared to durration.

Chris

Old 09-15-2007 | 09:17 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: sonar_chris

IMHO cams would be the safest way to accomplish the sound of the older carb bikes. As stated above, EFI bikes idle is set higher to make sure that the charging system is getting enough juice back to the battery. Also I believe factory idol is set to around 1000 rpm, another reason is oil flow to the motor. When you slow down the idol, you dont get as much oil and pressure to the motor, which will cause your bearings to start to go and so on. An S&S 510 cam is about the largest can you can bolt in a bike with no mods to the motor. What your really looking for in a cam for lope at idol will be its durration, not its lift. I know Ill catch some flack from some people around her by saying this, but lift doesnt have much to do with a cams performance, its really how long you can keep that valve open to get gas in and exhaust out. The size of the intake and exhaust runners will always stay the same size, thus lift of the cam will really wont make much of a differance as compared to durration.

Chris
Couple of things - Going with a long duration cam especially with a stock engine will do nothing but kill torque and low end performance.
And cam "lift" does have a lot to do with performance,I am running 10.5:1, 2.0" valves, 50mm throttle body with SE high flow injectorsand a Woods .650 lift cam with short duration. It is a torque monster and builds great Hp even with the short duration, the cylinders fill efficiently due to the high lift. If lift didn't add to performance, no one would make high lift cams.

Quick Reply: Timing advance at idle