Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Home made AFR meter? Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 08:19 PM
jrudicel
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Home made AFR meter? Possible?

Got wondering the other day that it sure would be nice to have a AFR sniffer or gauge to check afr readings when tuning a bike..rather than running to the dealer to get some readings on the dyno...
Now, as a scuba diver as well, I know we use analyzers all the time to measure o2 content in our breathing gases. Guys make homemade meters all the time with a o2 sensor and some electronic parts to give you a readout.. Is this even possible to do for exhaust gas readings? I know theres got to be math, conversions, and all kinds of stuff thats way over my head, but figure someone out there has done it before. Be nice to know idle AFR numbers and maybe have a way of gathering the data while riding? Just something silly that crossed my mind and thought I would throw it out there. Sure would be handy for a home tuner without access to a dyno I am thinking....

Old 09-09-2007, 11:12 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Home made AFR meter? Possible?

http://www.daytona-sensors.com/Twin_Scan2.html

Old 09-10-2007, 04:44 AM
jrudicel
Road Captain

Thanks for the reply... I checked the site out. Anyone use one of these? From what I read ... "and analyzing AFR data (if used with optional WEGO IID)." .... it kinda sounds like the 179.00 twinscan II is only a data logger and code reset device? Sounds to me you need the TwinScan II + for doing AFR stuff? Or am I wrong? The TwinScan II+ at 499.00 might be impractical and expensive for an occasional shade tree mechanic..... but I may be wrong. Does look cool though. Anyone using these? WHat do you think? Thanks guys.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:27 PM
JohnK/Pa
Tourer

I use a narrow band O2 sensor and Gauge that I got at Summit Racing in a sniffer tube just like the one at daytona twin tech. I install it on the bike when I make changes and check how the tune is while I'm riding. So far so good, but I don't abuse my engine and don't care what hp and tq it makes at 5200, I don't go there, I only care about the riding I do and don't get any popping on decell, my plugs look great and I get consistantly 50 mpg. That's the way I want it.