Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

se racetuner vs power commander

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 03:09 PM
harley#2
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default se racetuner vs power commander

se racetuner vs power commander.which one is bertter?I have a new 06 ultra.and I'm putting on rhinehearts and doing a 95in bore kit with 510gear cams and piston kit..

Old 11-24-2005, 03:27 PM
Rodent
Road Master
Default RE: se racetuner vs power commander

My mechanic told me that I would be better with a RACE TUNER being you have more adjustments you could make to fine tune your motor. That's what I'm putting on my 06 Ultra along with RUSH exaust.
My .02 cents.

Old 11-24-2005, 06:40 PM
R Horn
Cruiser

harley#2

I like your choice in parts cams/pipes. As for tuning I would say SERT and explain why. First just for background I have both. The Power Commander will allow you to tune you bike to satisfaction but you will end up wanting to have the dealer flash it anyway because you will be "bumping" the rev limitter from time to time. So after you are done with a PC and then a dealer flash you will have spent the same amount of money as a SERT. Next the SERT will allow you more adjustable options and it is just slightly more complicated than using the PC software.

Rich

Old 11-24-2005, 07:16 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The power commander is very popular, but its finctions are very limited, and you have a big bulky box you have to find a place to hide on your bike. So I would take the SERT, but the learning curve is much steeper. A useful tool to have for the SERT would be a WEGOII from Daytona Twin tec. With that being said, I would take the Daytona Twin-tec TFCI ECM over any of the other products currently on the market for injected bikes.

Old 11-24-2005, 07:57 PM
R Horn
Cruiser

The power commander is popular because it has been around a long time, has a proven track record and they can supply a half decent MAP file for most combinations. With the PC III usb you can also tune front and rear cyls individually as well as timing corrections. The SERT also allows warm up table adjustment, Rev limit adjustment, Idle adjustment and a few others. There realy is no reason to go to a Twin-tec TFCI unless you are running a radical camshaft that is unsuitable for a speed density fuel system. I also feel it would be likely poor for street use on a heavy loaded bike. The WEGO2 however I feel is a must have tool for anyone who wants to tune there bike correctly. With all that being said and my being obsesive compulsive my TCFI will be in my possesion next week.

Rich

PS: Happy Thanksgiving- Time to go to syster inlaws

Old 11-24-2005, 08:33 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: R Horn

The power commander is popular because it has been around a long time, has a proven track record and they can supply a half decent MAP file for most combinations. With the PC III usb you can also tune front and rear cyls individually as well as timing corrections. The SERT also allows warm up table adjustment, Rev limit adjustment, Idle adjustment and a few others. There realy is no reason to go to a Twin-tec TFCI unless you are running a radical camshaft that is unsuitable for a speed density fuel system. I also feel it would be likely poor for street use on a heavy loaded bike. The WEGO2 however I feel is a must have tool for anyone who wants to tune there bike correctly. With all that being said and my being obsesive compulsive my TCFI will be in my possesion next week.

Rich

PS: Happy Thanksgiving- Time to go to syster inlaws
Cant agree with your assesment of the TFCI, nor do I think you truely understand how it functions fully with your statements. Its the best running stand alone ECM(including the factory Delphi system)for ANY bike, stock or modified. Daytona doesnt recommend the bike for stock or close to stock bikes becuase of the cash outlay for the unit as the performance gains from a power standpoint will be very minimal. Whats not mentioned though is that while power gains will be minimal, the engine itself will run much stronger and will eliminate lean or rich spots from its own maps due to the realtime feedback from the wideband sensor( it comes with a WEGO2) thats included with the unit. And with the infinite adjustments you can make with the unit the sky is the limit. Its quite a few steps above the SERT and you don't need a dyno to get your bikes state of tune perfect.

Old 11-24-2005, 09:08 PM
harley#2
2nd Gear

ok let me get this straight.Does the s.e.r.t. rewright itself to the the ecm?preventing you from ever removing it?I have been leaning torward the p\c .please keep the coments comming..thanks

Old 11-24-2005, 09:19 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

No, you can upload any map into the sert you want.

Old 11-25-2005, 03:08 AM
R Horn
Cruiser

MegaHDman
I assure you I understand. We can stay simple for this. We have basically 3 types of EFI systems. Mass Air Flow, Speed Density and Alpha Numeric. Of those three there are only 2 that are used on production street vehicles and Alpha Numeric isn't one of the two. On the other hand for racing applications Alpha Numeric takes a rather large piece of the pie but for a normal street engine Mass Air Flow is best for drivability because manifold pressure (or the lack of) is the best way to sense engine load, Not TPS. The basic downfall for Alpha numeric is it only knows load from TPS vs RPM yet your actual load can vary greatly due to gearing and loading. As for price on the TCFI I think its cheap $695 for the whole package. I also believe it is a nice piece and that is why I bought one. To bad this is a short week because I have to wait till next week now to receive it.

I currently own 2 aftermarket ECU’s from Accel. These were made for Accel by a company called DFI located in MI purchased from Hahn racecraft one is a backup and the other is installed on 400+ hp Turbo Charged Drag bike currently parked in my trailer. This runs Speed density with a 3 bar map sensor.

At work I have been using ECU’s from http://www.gems.co.uk/ for the past 4 years and these we use in the Alpha numeric mode. This is a shortcoming but our only option due to the pulse created in the inlet pipe of the rotary engine won’t allow us the option of speed density. This application is also for a small airplane so Mapping done static on the ground using various props still only gets you so far. Each prop rides along a different load line. In the air the load changes due to the prop unloading with air speed (fixed pitch prop) the place you notice this most is in what is called the speed load table. A speed load table tuned to ground operation performed poorly in the wind tunnel. We are also currently working with two other ECU vendors for our application but only using the GEMS in production at this time.

Anyway we all have and can have our own opinions.
All three are good options depending on what you want. The PC likely going to be the cheapest and easiest of the three.

Rich

Old 11-25-2005, 11:36 AM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: R Horn

MegaHDman
I assure you I understand. We can stay simple for this. We have basically 3 types of EFI systems. Mass Air Flow, Speed Density and Alpha Numeric. Of those three there are only 2 that are used on production street vehicles and Alpha Numeric isn't one of the two. On the other hand for racing applications Alpha Numeric takes a rather large piece of the pie but for a normal street engine Mass Air Flow is best for drivability because manifold pressure (or the lack of) is the best way to sense engine load, Not TPS. The basic downfall for Alpha numeric is it only knows load from TPS vs RPM yet your actual load can vary greatly due to gearing and loading. As for price on the TCFI I think its cheap $695 for the whole package. I also believe it is a nice piece and that is why I bought one. To bad this is a short week because I have to wait till next week now to receive it.

I currently own 2 aftermarket ECU’s from Accel. These were made for Accel by a company called DFI located in MI purchased from Hahn racecraft one is a backup and the other is installed on 400+ hp Turbo Charged Drag bike currently parked in my trailer. This runs Speed density with a 3 bar map sensor.

At work I have been using ECU’s from http://www.gems.co.uk/ for the past 4 years and these we use in the Alpha numeric mode. This is a shortcoming but our only option due to the pulse created in the inlet pipe of the rotary engine won’t allow us the option of speed density. This application is also for a small airplane so Mapping done static on the ground using various props still only gets you so far. Each prop rides along a different load line. In the air the load changes due to the prop unloading with air speed (fixed pitch prop) the place you notice this most is in what is called the speed load table. A speed load table tuned to ground operation performed poorly in the wind tunnel. We are also currently working with two other ECU vendors for our application but only using the GEMS in production at this time.

Anyway we all have and can have our own opinions.
All three are good options depending on what you want. The PC likely going to be the cheapest and easiest of the three.

Rich
One thing you may not be aware of is that there are a couple of Alpha-N systems that are now being designed to include spark knock detection(Kind of like the S&S IST ignition which is able to automatically optomize the spark curve of the bike while running by using spark knock sensor,map sensor, temp sensor,crank and cam position sensors)so that not just AFR will be adjusted and remapped on the fly, but ignition curve will be advanced and retarded based on load and engine conditions too. S&S is designing a new system that will incorperate this, and DTT is also doing the same as they are looking to add a knock sensor(they already have all the other sensors in place for HD efi bikes)and new software to incorperate into their TFCI.

And lets be real here, Speed density and Mass AF ecm's are cheap, dont require alot of expensive hardware and software to operate and have been around for a long time. There isn't anything they do that a good Alpha-N system can do itself.