Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

HDMAPS.COM

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007 | 04:30 PM
Sandhog
|
Road Warrior
Default HDMAPS.COM

Hey folks,I have a bit of a problem that I hope gets worked out,but wanted to give a "Heads up" to the fine folks here anyways.
I bought an 06 wide glide and installed Vance and Hines Big shots and a Doherty Power Pacc air cleaner.Parts recommended by the tuner guy at Moroneys HD in NY.I also purchased a SERT to more or less future proof myself for any further upgrades I may decide to do later on.
Anyways the Dyno tuner at Moroneys always seemed to be backed up for weeksso I ran acanned map off the CD,which seemed OK for the timebeing.I got in touch with JamieWG about a map he had offered on a few sites as well as this one.I also asked for advise on tuning my own map without a dyno.He told me whatto change and what to leave alone,All was good,but I always wondered if it could get better.
I went to www.hdmaps.com and they happened to have a map for sale that matched my configuration except for the air cleaner setup.The set they hadwas tuned for the Screaming Eagle air cleaner but being theybothused a K&N style filter,I figured it would becloser than what I had,because it had been tuned on a dyno.
I paid my $69.99 anddownloaded the map,installed it into the ECM andtook it for a spin.The bike bucked and surged at all throttle positions above 1/4 throttle.When I got it warmed up and took it to 55 it did smooth out a bit,although it still ran like hell.As soon as I let off the throttle,it sounded like someone kicked a steel trash can down a flight of stairs.It didnt POP it friggin BANGED!!
I took the bike home and reloaded the map I had bought.Same result.I reloaded the map I had made and all was ok again,so I knew it wasnt something else.I emailed hdmaps.com and got a responce from Matt Gross with another map to try.I downloaded it and installed it in the bike.Same result if not worse.I emailed them again and told them the problems with the map.I recieved another email askingthe parts that I had installed on the bike.I told Mr.Gross that the map described matched my setup and thatI thought I was getting a map made on a dyno,not something cooked up by the seat of the pants.I was told it was impossible to make a map without a dyno.
I then emailed Mr.Gross and told them that I did understand that with this sort of media,its impossible to know if Im stealing a map or actually having problems.I also stated that I would send MYMAP to him and let him try that one as the one he had sucked so bad(I stated it nicer BTW)
I then recieved a call and got into a rather lengthy (and heated)conversation with Mr Gross about the map.I told him that the map was so far off it couldnt be attributed to weather conditions and such,and that I felt I had recieved a defective product.He told me he was running the same map on a softail and it ran fine.I bought a map for a Dyna wide glide not a softail and was told therewas no difference.News to me.If there is no difference then why is there two different sections for the two models of bikes on the site and also on the SERT CD?
Dosent jibe well with meat all.I was thentold that I wouldnt be charged for the map and all was OK.
I am now disputing the charge with the card company as MMG Management (hdmaps.com's company)chooses to charge me anyway.I emailed MrGross about the charge and havent recieved a responce.Still in dispute with Master card over the charge.
I did get the bike dynoed sence then and it runs great.

Old 09-04-2007 | 06:19 PM
hoganth
Novice
Default RE: HDMAPS.COM

Yep, Had the same problem with HD MAPS.com for my 07 Ultra as well, you got further than I did. I couldn't even get them on the phone, had to go to Tampa and get dyno'd. They are IMHO a rip off.
[sm=boosign.gif]

Old 09-04-2007 | 06:35 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

Long time members of the forum should remember that I warned them about this damned near a year ago.. But NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I get lambasted by a few and threatened with legal action........

Can't say that I didn't attempt to educate the mass' here before......

And FWIW, Mr. Gross is former member of this forum.... he was kinda stirrin' the pot that I had brewing.....

Glad to hear that you got your scoot up and running like it should, too bad it took and education of the Clock and Wallet to open your eyes....

Old 09-04-2007 | 08:37 PM
cjuetten
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Shovelhead Bob

Long time members of the forum should remember that I warned them about this damned near a year ago.. But NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I get lambasted by a few and threatened with legal action........
Hey, I remember that one. Back in the good old days when any SERT topic wasguaranteed to raise some tempers and get you good pencil whipping. Kinda disappointed it got pulled.....there wassome good info on the front end of it.By the way, what ever happened to OSE?

Old 09-04-2007 | 08:41 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cjuetten

ORIGINAL: Shovelhead Bob

Hey, I remember that one. Back in the good old days when any SERT topic wasguaranteed to raise some tempers and get you good pencil whipping. Kinda disappointed it got pulled.....there wassome good info on the front end of it.By the way, what ever happened to OSE?
OSE is gone, got the n'th degree from a few neb-scheittz'.... I'll see him in a few months....

Old 09-05-2007 | 04:54 PM
Sandhog
|
Road Warrior

Sorry Bob but I didnt read enough to run across your posts.Iwill go as far as to thank you for your efforts though.
I will let ya know how it turns out as I have sent all info to the credit card company as to the basis of my disputing the charge.If it turns out that I am in fact charged for the defective map,I will drop the card and end all dealings with the company.

Old 09-05-2007 | 07:12 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain

Sandhog:

I too tried one of Matt's HD Maps a few years ago when I first got involved with the SERT. It was a P.O.S.!

Find a Tech that has recently attended the MoCo's Factory SERT School, and ask him/her if anyone in attendence discussed Matt Gross and his maps............if the Instructor can remain calm and not blow his stack, attendees can find out what the Factory thinks of Matt Gross and his business practices! [:@]

Afterusing Shovelhead Bob'srecommendation on modifying the SERT map for my '07 Ultra, it performs very well and has excellent mileage. No, it's not the perfect final Dyno tune that would be needed for one that wants total performance, but it'sa hell-of-a great starting point!

You can take Shovelhead Bob's advise to the bank!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 09-06-2007 | 08:37 PM
Sandhog
|
Road Warrior

The red line is mine after working up a map myself with the guidence from JamieWG on this forum.He tole me the map to start with and what to do.The blue line is the custom map made on a dyno by George at Moroneys HD in Newburgh NY.
Damn close Id say