Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT TUNING QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SERT TUNING QUESTION

Hi All,
I've been playing around with my SERT tuner and have come up against the following: As I add more fuel because now I have SE/AC and Samson exhaust, I've noticed a roughness in the 2000--2500 RPM range. As I add more fuel the roughness seems to move a little higher up the RPM band. Can this be adjusted out to make it smoother and if so do I need to work on the AFR's or the timing advance/retard curves or a combination of both? Thanks for the help.

Bart

[IMG]local://upfiles/16365/CA845BACC54F4CBC9826DF0F446F5373.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: SERT TUNING QUESTION

ORIGINAL: Black Bart

Hi All,
I've been playing around with my SERT tuner and have come up against the following: As I add more fuel because now I have SE/AC and Samson exhaust, I've noticed a roughness in the 2000--2500 RPM range. As I add more fuel the roughness seems to move a little higher up the RPM band. Can this be adjusted out to make it smoother and if so do I need to work on the AFR's or the timing advance/retard curves or a combination of both? Thanks for the help.

Bart
Gonna have to ask a few ???'s before you get the answers that you need to succeed.....
Q1. What year bike, displacement and mods to the motor and exhaust type?????
Q2. What are you using to determine that you need to add more fuel?????
Q3. What tables are you manipulating to add the fuel??????

Old 09-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Black Bart
Road Master

Hi Shovelhead,
It's a 2006 Low Rider. Yes it has the O2 sensors and is fuel injected. The motor is stock. No cams, no bore job; 88ci. Installed a Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner and a set of Samson Big Gun III boloney cut exhaust pipes. These are full pipes not mufflers. The tables I'm manipulating to add fuel are the Closed Loop Bias tables and the VE tables. This is all seat of the pants. I didn't notice the roughness in the rpm range that is there now when I had just a set HD mufflers and the SE AC air cleaner on. I don't want to say it's exhaust reversion causing it. I do think I can minimize or eliminate it all together if I tune it properly. Anyway, I appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks,
Bart

Old 09-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

Map 32 or 59 is where you need to start..... 32 is for 8 degre, 59 is for 25's.....

SERT version is important.... If you need a "J" version map, I will send you one....

#1. Max out CLB's
#2. If you have a laptop this is cake... Datalog w'o2 sensors, so you can generate NEW VE's as per the o2 sensor's readings... This is extremely beneficial for the self-tuner..... Agood backpack and a few $$$$$ in the tank can save you a ton of $$$$$.....
#3. Try to do this with baffles in, as the lack of baffles will create havoc for the o2 sensors/integrators.... They need the exhaust gas' in the pipe to do their work..
#4. If no baffling, you might need to spend the ching to get it dialed in correctly, as the need for a load controlled Dynomometer with exhaust gas analysis equipment is mandatory.....
#5. Ask ????'s if you run into problems....

Old 09-05-2007, 02:56 AM
Black Bart
Road Master

Shovelhead,
I have version F and am using map #59 as my starting point as the bike has 25* injectors. The pipes came with the baffles in them which I have not removed. I do have a laptop and a backpack for it--so I take it that datalogging is essential to a good tune. OK, then I shall read up on it and perform it. Is there a huge difference between the F version and J version in the maps? I guess if there is then I should be asking for the J version. Thanks for your help.

Bart

Old 09-05-2007, 05:22 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

The most current Software is vital to the most optimum tune.....

"J" has some updates to the CLB strategy that are really beneficial to a great runnig bike....

I might have an extra version laying around.... If you want it, PM me.... I can let it go for a few $$$$....

New is $20 at the dealer....