Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Sneezing and Backfiring on 06 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 12:38 PM
bonzo2
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sneezing and Backfiring on 06 Ultra

Had some early morning sneezing coming out of the air cleaner on my 06 Ultra. Every morning I would start to take off and then poof a puff of gas would come from the air filter. Sometimes the bike would stall out and other times I would be able to catch it and keep it running. Then when the bike warmed up I would get some serious backfiring everytime I decelerated. Just brought it to the dealer and they have so far replaced the fuel pump. When I called in with the issues their first thought was the intake seals. I will be picking this up later today but not sure what to expect.

Before picking up the bike I ahd the download, SE Pro One Slash Cut Slip On's and the SE / K&N Air Cleaner. I have also notice an sericous decrease in gas milage since experiencing the above problems. When I first rode the bike the low fuel light would come on around 170 to 180 miles and now it comes on around 140 / 145. The bike just turned 1800 miles and I have had it for just about 1 month.

Guess I'm just asking for opinions on Harleys fix for the above issues

Thanks Bonzo2

Old 11-23-2005, 01:12 PM
schultz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sneezing and Backfiring on 06 Ultra

I don't think they have a fix for it yet. When I got mine I had them do the so called download and SE air filter before I picked it up so I can not commit on the mpg but my low fuel light comes on about like yours. My mpg have been from a low 39 to about 47 something. I put Rush mufflers with 1.75 baffles on it after I got it home had them on the Road King so I took them off when I traded. It runs finds but I think I got around 2700-2800 on it and it has farted in the throttlebody I think 4 times. A TFI by Techlusion was reminded by a freind of mine that works at a shop said they have had good luck with them on the 06 and not so good luck with the Power Commander on the 06. I am will probably get a TFI later.

Old 11-23-2005, 07:36 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior

I've got an 05 Ultra with PCIII, SE Air Cleaner and Rush 2" 15301 mufflers.

My gas milage went the same way - DOWN DOWN DOWN. Dealer told me it would go UP UP UP????

From 180 per tank to 140 per tank too!!!! 38mpg to 30 mpg with the same riding style.

I would be very interested in any solutions you discover in this regards.

My next step is a dynotune ~$200. Hate to say it, but I'd bet the mpg goes down even further!!! MO MONEY, MO MONEY, MO MONEY.

Kinda nice how we pay $20,000 t0 $25,000 bucks for a classy machine that fu%^s up almost right out of the box.

Do we pay for LOOKS/NAME or PERFORMANCE??? My feeling today is the prior.

I put 20,000 miles on a 2001 Suzuki Intruder LC without a single glitch or issue.

Are we seeing the typical "American" made machines??? I think so.

Don't get me wrong - I luv the Harley thing - but you all must admit you have to pay in $$$, frustration, lost time and missed enjoyment!!! Foreign vehicles are just built better from the get go!!! I'd take a Camry or Maxima over a Taurus any day of the week.

Does ANYONE know of a "perfect" HD experience - doubt it.

MOCO are you listening????? Sorry, just a little pissed off. Keeps adding up. And alot of your OEM stuff is EL CHEAPO!!! (air temp gauge, stock grips, fuel gauge, speakers, horn......)

THANKS.

dchoran@athenet.net

Old 11-23-2005, 10:36 PM
myzen
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have experienced the same thing on my 06 Roadglide. I have the V&H basic slip-ons, SE air cleaner and the Stage 1 download along with the TFI. No more belching through the A/C but my mileage is right at 35 mpg. As far as imports go, I had an 04 Yamaha Warrior with a slip-on
dual velocity stacks and the TFI and that sombit** pulled stumps. I am not having the same results with the RG.

Old 11-24-2005, 12:52 PM
taurusjim
Cruiser

a harley ultra is not a yamaha warrior, period. the ultra is a touring machine and you might have to wate for the aftermarket to catch up with mods ....please remember there is a big difference in the type of bike you are riding now. remember the yamaha royal star, nice bike but a slug in performance.....