Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Removed/reinstalled gas tank now it won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:42 PM
ziggymotion
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed/reinstalled gas tank now it won't start

I have a 2003fuel injected Fatboyin which I had to remove gas tank to install new cables. After putting everything back together and reinstalling the gas tank the bike does not want to start. I am not sure if the fuel pump is working like it is supppose to because I do not hear it running like before but all indications would bethat it is working. Are you suppose to prime a fuel injected system or does the fuel pump take care of priming the system? Any help is appreciated

Old 09-03-2007, 01:46 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Removed/reinstalled gas tank now it won't start

The system should be self primeing. If you do not hear the pump at ignition on, I suspect a connection problem. I am of course assumeing that you have power and that there is fuel in the tank.

I would re-check all the connectors first then check for damaged wires. Should be very simple as the areas looked at will be quite specific.

WB

Old 09-03-2007, 02:41 AM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

ORIGINAL: ziggymotion

I have a 2003fuel injected Fatboyin which I had to remove gas tank to install new cables. After putting everything back together and reinstalling the gas tank the bike does not want to start. I am not sure if the fuel pump is working like it is supppose to because I do not hear it running like before but all indications would bethat it is working. Are you suppose to prime a fuel injected system or does the fuel pump take care of priming the system? Any help is appreciated
Pull the plug out from the top of the tank and look inside the connection and see if you bent one of the pins.
If you did just be careful and straihten it out and plug it back in carefully.
Seen it happen twice now so does happen.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:17 AM
TGrahamVA
Novice

A buddy of mine had the same problem and after several hours of hunting we found that the wire to the fuel pump under the tank is very short and easy to miss hope this helps

Old 09-03-2007, 09:18 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ziggymotion

I am not sure if the fuel pump is working like it is supppose to because I do not hear it running like before but all indications would be that it is working.
If you don't hear it running then it's not. What other indications are there for you to discern? There's no Schrader valve on the fuel rail (wish there were!).

Old 09-03-2007, 08:34 PM
ziggymotion
Novice

Thanks everyone for the advice, Scotty3 you were right on! I removed the console assembly off the tank and started to checkall the connections and to my suprise the connector on the gas tank was not seated correctly. After further investigation it was confirmed that the pins inside of the connector were bent down which was the cause of my problem. I very carefully straightened out the pins and properly reconnected and reassembled. I engaged the the ignition andthe fuel pump immediatly responsed and the motor cranked right up. Again I appriciate all of the input and correspondence.
You only live once so enjoy the ride.