Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

1996 EFI Ghost in the machine

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2024, 09:06 AM
Turbojim
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 EFI Ghost in the machine

Hello again all hope everyone is great, I am working on my 96 ultra injected again 38000 miles . It starts cold perfect runs about 10 minutes or maybe through warm up and then stops. the cam sensor was dripping as always so I replaced it there's a new crank sensor in it new coil, Fuel pump, filter all fuel hoses, and relays. It is losing spark (it will spark erratic and very minimal not enough to run ) if it sits for a bit it will start and run again depending on how long it sits decides how long it runs again seems to be losing spark after warm up cycle. also did clean most connections checked the crank sensor connection still hasn't changed. Fuel pump still running after a few seconds after it quits. I know the chance of getting bad parts but to get a part that has those symptoms would be one in a million . not sure on ECM or how to check it but any help would be great.

Old 09-09-2024, 05:45 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,395 Likes on 855 Posts

Trashcan that EFI crap. Swap to a Mikuni HSR 42 with intake manifold and a Dynatek ignition. THIS is trouble free. Ya need to ride it, not wrench it.

The following users liked this post:
ChopperBill (09-10-2024)
Old 09-09-2024, 08:52 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojim
Hello again all hope everyone is great, I am working on my 96 ultra injected again 38000 miles . It starts cold perfect runs about 10 minutes or maybe through warm up and then stops. the cam sensor was dripping as always so I replaced it there's a new crank sensor in it new coil, Fuel pump, filter all fuel hoses, and relays. It is losing spark (it will spark erratic and very minimal not enough to run ) if it sits for a bit it will start and run again depending on how long it sits decides how long it runs again seems to be losing spark after warm up cycle. also did clean most connections checked the crank sensor connection still hasn't changed. Fuel pump still running after a few seconds after it quits. I know the chance of getting bad parts but to get a part that has those symptoms would be one in a million . not sure on ECM or how to check it but any help would be great.
Make sure the timer cup is not hitting the window of the cam sensor pickup.

Old 09-10-2024, 05:35 AM
Turbojim
Novice

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
Make sure the timer cup is not hitting the window of the cam sensor pickup.
I will check that. I did t see anything g on the old sensor but it's worth looking.

Old 09-10-2024, 09:03 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 693 Posts

timing light or inline spark tester to confirm the ignition is dropping out
check fuel pressure, just because the pump runs does not make it is running correctly.
not sure of your system but some like honda, if they sense an injector problem, it will shut down. also check the peak voltage coming from the sensor, it can pulse but if the level is not correct, the ignition will not respond.
if your meter does not have a peak function, you can buy and add on or make your own if handy with electronics.

Old 09-10-2024, 10:20 AM
stroisi12
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojim
if your sure spark is dropping out, check coil and wires.

Old 09-10-2024, 05:25 PM
Turbojim
Novice

inline spark tester on both front and rear yes dropping... new coil but old wires !!!!