Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

First time auto tuning Power Vision PV-1B

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2024, 08:56 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,327 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Default First time auto tuning Power Vision PV-1B

Tried auto tuning for the first time, PV-1B Dynojet. Ran the cord out side cover into bag on rear engine guard. Put it in a ziplock bag and then into winter hat Tywrapped the cord to keep it away from paint.

It will let you go into auto menu with bike running, but will have ECU failures. Bike needs off, ignition switch on, and I also believe kill switch on.

When starting the auto process, it will say waiting for ECU to turn off. I was debating if I should turn it off, when a message came up saying tun bike off for 10 seconds.

You need to select your current tune. When done it will ask you save in a new slot.

One thing I think I did was not start data logging so this may have all been for nothing, One thing that went through my mind is it was dark and cold. So would my data not be valid for when it is warm out. I am not sure if it is smart enough to adjust for temps. I did check with a temp gun and it is reading fairing close. My concern is may not hit 80 again this year. Will forget about this and ping next summer.

You are supposed to stop it before turning bike off. That is a hard reflex to break.

One odd thing is it said max value of 127, and I was hitting 125, did it want me to scale. I said yes, but I have no clue. Need to read up on this.

I had heard it will run funny in auto tune. I was on the on ramp to interstate and it coughed at 4k. Later coming back it did not. Did it learn? Dunno. Also some bad starts coughing, hope that is the device. It also threw a code first time I turned it on.

You should probably print out FM instructions and walk through them as you do this. But figured I would get some practice in.

https://university.fuelmotousa.com/a...n-motorcycles/

Old 09-06-2024, 07:10 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

What I am not sure is if auto tuning is changing anything while riding. One video said no, AI(laugh) said yes. Does it save the info as a new tune, which you then have to load?

When disabling AT, it does say something about clearing or reverting back. Does it mean the logged data or changes? Just keep on playing with it. Got it on bike now.

Some 80s next week, which might be the last of year, or last I get to ride. Not that I am done riding.

Old 09-06-2024, 07:18 AM
stroisi12
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
Tried auto tuning for the first time, PV-1B Dynojet. Ran the cord out side cover into bag on rear engine guard. Put it in a ziplock bag and then into winter hat Tywrapped the cord to keep it away from paint.

It will let you go into auto menu with bike running, but will have ECU failures. Bike needs off, ignition switch on, and I also believe kill switch on.
it needs to load up a tune, bike not running, but turned in.

When starting the auto process, it will say waiting for ECU to turn off. I was debating if I should turn it off, when a message came up saying tun bike off for 10 seconds.
never ever turn the bike off in the middle of flashing a tune. You can brick your ECU!

You need to select your current tune. When done it will ask you save in a new slot.
you can pick any tune you want to auto tune off of

One thing I think I did was not start data logging so this may have all been for nothing, One thing that went through my mind is it was dark and cold. So would my data not be valid for when it is warm out. I am not sure if it is smart enough to adjust for temps. I did check with a temp gun and it is reading fairing close. My concern is may not hit 80 again this year. Will forget about this and ping next summer.
logging while auto tuning is optional and will have no effect on the result. The Ecu does monitor ambient air temp and adjust accordingly

You are supposed to stop it before turning bike off. That is a hard reflex to break.
not a big deal since it will not loose the auto tune session. You can continue to auto tune based off of what the ECU has recorded thus far.. or flash it. Lots of options.

One odd thing is it said max value of 127, and I was hitting 125, did it want me to scale. I said yes, but I have no clue. Need to read up on this.

I had heard it will run funny in auto tune. I was on the on ramp to interstate and it coughed at 4k. Later coming back it did not. Did it learn? Dunno. Also some bad starts coughing, hope that is the device. It also threw a code first time I turned it on.
it loads up a tune that is very different than the running tune, so running badly is not uncommon. It should go away after you turn off auto tune and flash with your new tune

You should probably print out FM instructions and walk through them as you do this. But figured I would get some practice in.

https://university.fuelmotousa.com/a...n-motorcycles/
See red above. Hope this helps.

Old 09-06-2024, 07:33 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

The one thing I am a little confused about, is selecting auto tune and sensors enough to start auto tuning, It seems like it is, but instructions, but I never selected datalog or went to green table. Also never selected basic mode. This may be because I selected stock o2 sensors?

Also not sure what it meant by max 127 you hit 125 do you want to scale. I'll take a pic of screen next time.

I selected the FM tune I was running to auto tune. Is it making changes while I ride in the temp auto file and changing files on that ride? I think it is, but not positive.

It says it auto saves every 3 minutes, so shutting off is ok. But on the ride I did last night it start out country than freeway, I probably lost the freeway. So I went for another ride.

Do I have to enable auto tune everytime I turn it on? I looked like it was on from previous time. I had to gas up last night.

Last edited by Rounders; 09-06-2024 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-06-2024, 07:54 AM
stroisi12
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
The one thing I am a little confused about, is selecting auto tune and sensors enough to start auto tuning, It seems like it is, but instructions, but I never selected datalog or went to green table. Also never selected basic mode. This may be because I selected stock o2 sensors?

Also not sure what it meant by max 127 you hit 125 do you want to scale. I'll take a pic of screen next time.

I selected the FM tune I was running to auto tune. Is it making changes while I ride in the temp auto file and changing files on that ride? I think it is, but not positive.

It says it auto saves every 3 minutes, so shutting off is ok. But on the ride I did last night it start out country than freeway, I probably lost the freeway. So I went for another ride.

Do I have to enable auto tune everytime I turn it on? I looked like it was on from previous time. I had to gas up last night.
If you’re using stock narrow band O2, select that — right after you select the tune you want to auto tune off of.(Basic/OEM Narrowbands)

not sure why your VE are up so high? You may have to tune your CDE tables. You could ask FM. Or do you have a big bore? Cam?

it records but will not change the tune until you tell it to via export tune option on the PV

Old 09-06-2024, 03:59 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Done 3 auto tunes now. First one 20 miles, had the 125 out 127 warning. Last two 80 miles each, nothing.

I'll try again next week when it gets hot out.

I did big bore cams head and .o40 head gasket.

I might try the original target tune from FM and run auto tune on that.

I think it's running good. The second tune was not quite as snappy. Probably fine now