Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2011 Fatbob - No spark on front cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2024, 05:24 AM
Haydo4
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paulmedford
but you must check continuity from the coil to the ecm. Sometimes the wire breaks and the ecm can't fire that coil
It does have continuity

Old 08-26-2024, 09:47 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,942 Likes on 4,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Haydo4
Can you be specific in how to do that please
Note messed this up.. pointer wise.

Using a low resistance setting on the DMM, disconnect the coil and measure across these 2 points for rear. Do then front and compare..

Last edited by Max Headflow; 08-26-2024 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Pointer goes to the rear cylinder.
Old 08-26-2024, 02:41 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain
Received 169 Likes on 139 Posts

It has 12v on it as soon as ignition and run switch are on until the fuel pump stops. Then has 12v again while cranking and then running.
The rear cylinder wire does the same, the only difference between the 2 is that the rear cylinder shows a shakey light on the test light globe where as the front cylinder wire shows solid light on the globe.
the solid light means either the primary coil is open ( if 12V on the power wire, if power on the blue /orange, your ecm shot) or the ecm is not working ( transistor fried). A shorted coil would burn the ecm

Last edited by paulmedford; 08-26-2024 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-26-2024, 05:28 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

the solid light means either the primary coil is open ( if 12V on the power wire, if power on the blue /orange, your ecm shot) or the ecm is not working ( transistor fried). A shorted coil would burn the ecm
I think you have is backwards.. When powered coil, solid 12V on the blue /orange means that the front cylinder primary is connected. It could be shorted or OK. It's only 1/2 ohm resistance so the light comes on when connected. If the primary coil was open there would always be 0 volts at the blue /orange. The fact that it's on all the time could mean that the coil is shorted, the wire is open or the ECM is bad. If the coil is shorted, it's totally possible that the ECM survives. The ECM only drives signal low for short periods at a time, probably something like 50 milliseconds. I'd expect the driver to handle driving a short for that period as the is likely another 1/2 ohm in the wiring and the duty cycle is low..

Old 08-26-2024, 05:59 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain

i was thinking if he has 12V on the be/o and its not blinking then the ecm is not grounding when it supposed to to fire. So that is why constant 12v. A shorted or normal coil would give 12V on be/o no matter what just as you stated, but a working ecm should flash the 12v no matter what as i thought the be/o is from the coil after the power goes into the primary, the ecm may survive a burnt coil, but I repaired a few from the driver burning up from a bad coil. Hope he gets away.

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 06:18 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Maybe you should have wrote:

the solid light means either the primary coil wire is open

Old 08-26-2024, 06:37 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Maybe you should have wrote:

the solid light means either the primary coil wire is open
Yes I didnt write it clearly lol. Hope the op checks the resistance and reports back soon

Old 08-26-2024, 07:20 PM
Haydo4
Intermediate

Yes I didnt write it clearly lol. Hope the op checks the resistance and reports back soon
Im in Australia, so am at work atm, but when I get home I’ll report back with the readings from the coil.
I greatly appreciate the guidance I’m getting from everyone.

The following users liked this post:
paulmedford (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 09:54 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain

Im in Australia, so am at work atm, but when I get home I’ll report back with the readings from the coil.
I greatly appreciate the guidance I’m getting from everyone.
I follow old not dead on YouTube lol, he is a Harley rider from Australia. My uncle lives there too, nice people.

Old 08-27-2024, 05:17 AM
Haydo4
Intermediate

[QUOTE=Max Headflow;21790698]Note messed this up.. pointer wise.

Using a low resistance setting on the DMM, disconnect the coil and measure across these 2 points for rear. Do then front and compare..

Rear is 00.6 ohms
Front is 00.6 ohms

Quick Reply: 2011 Fatbob - No spark on front cylinder