Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

signal light that have only one wire

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 09:21 AM
jackietan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default signal light that have only one wire

Can anyone tell me how to connect signal light that have only one wire and current my signal light that have wires to be replace, thanks

Old 09-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Softy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: signal light that have only one wire

ORIGINAL: jackietan

Can anyone tell me how to connect signal light that have only one wire and current my signal light that have wires to be replace, thanks
We need more info than that.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:39 AM
jackietan
Cruiser

Here

[IMG]local://upfiles/36704/ABA5515586314D118D256D4C7AFBC753.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-01-2007, 04:26 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

They use ground from your bolt and frame connection and that one wire is power. (No ruuning light's as they are single filament)

Old 09-01-2007, 08:07 PM
jackietan
Cruiser

Can anyone tell me more:
1)What is the meaning by single filament, what is double filament?
2)What is it mean by "No running light's as they are single filament?
3)Double filament, how does it work?
4)What is the difference for those light that has twowire?
5)What is the difference for those light that has threewire?
6)Those which have two / three wire light, Is it better? Orit make on great difference advantage that I can buy those one wire light with no worry.

"They use ground from your bolt and frame connection and that one wire is power." Where is the one wire to be connected to? Now my bike's existing light is having two wire.How toconnect for those that have three wire.

Can anyone explainto me in simple english, thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/36704/1A31917B5DC84C0E98EE96C4A9AEBA80.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/36704/D30E816261F54A25ABBB09136446C283.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/36704/11E31A9787A9442BA1CD75BD262945BE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-02-2007, 03:08 AM
scotty3
Road Captain

Can anyone tell me more:
6)Those which have two / three wire light, Is it better? Orit make on great difference advantage that I can buy those one wire light with no worry.

"They use ground from your bolt and frame connection and that one wire is power." Where is the one wire to be connected to? Now my bike's existing light is having two wire.How toconnect for those that have three wire.

Lot of questions there...............

1) If you look at a light bulb the small strand of wire that runs across the posts is called a filament.
so a single filament has one and a double filament has two (you will have to grab some bulbs and have a look)

2) Well to have running lights you need a double filament bulb and tha would require at minimum 2 wires to run to the turn signal
(Remember yoru original question was about turn signals with one wire)

3) Double filament is like your brake light / rear light...............One is lit all the time and when you apply the brakes the second filament lights and is brighter so that the people behind you know you are braking (especially at night)
In the case of turn signals with double filaments the lower wattage one is often used as running lights (Lit all the time) and they flash brighter when you signal to do a turn

4) All lights require earth and power to work (minus & positive voltage)
So it is going to depend on how the light were put together and for what purpose.
Harley bullet turn signals are pushed into a rubber grommet so require a seperate earth wire that is why they have 2 or 3 wires coming from them depending on wether they are just turn signals or running light / turn signals.

5) Read above

6) Read above

This is as plain english as I can type.
If you dont understand electrical items and how they work get someone who does to install your lights for you.
You can destroy your TSM on your bike by connecting the wires wrong and that will cost you money.
Remember you need - negative and + postive for something to work and you can get - negative anywhere on the bike that is not rubber mounted.
Positive power comes only from shielded cable and is what runs through your fuses.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:47 AM
jackietan
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: scotty3

Can anyone tell me more:

1) If you look at a light bulb the small strand of wire that runs across the posts is called a filament.
so a single filament has one and a double filament has two (you will have to grab some bulbs and have a look)

2) Well to have running lights you need a double filament bulb and tha would require at minimum 2 wires to run to the turn signal

3) Double filament is like your brake light / rear light...............One is lit all the time and when you apply the brakes the second filament lights and is brighter so that the people behind you know you are braking (especially at night)
In the case of turn signals with double filaments the lower wattage one is often used as running lights (Lit all the time) and they flash brighter when you signal to do a turn

So it is going to depend on how the light were put together and for what purpose.
Harley bullet turn signals are pushed into a rubber grommet so require a seperate earth wire that is why they have 2 or 3 wires coming from them depending on wether they are just turn signals or running light / turn signals.

5) Read above

6) Read above

If you dont understand electrical items and how they work get someone who does to install your lights for you.
You can destroy your TSM on your bike by connecting the wires wrong and that will cost you money.
Remember you need - negative and + postive for something to work and you can get - negative anywhere on the bike that is not rubber mounted.
Positive power comes only from shielded cable and is what runs through your fuses.
Hi scotty3,

Thank you so much for the information. Now I understand what is the single / double filament. Double filament is the 2wire in the bulb that use onheadlight& taillight for high/low beam & brake, right

3)At my country, there are two type for signal.
First type is running signal light when the bike is onbut when yousignal to do a turn, it will blink it a way that just like on & off. My country, I do not see those "In the case of turn signals with double filaments the lower wattage one is often used as running lights (Lit all the time) and they flash brighter when you signal to do a turn".
Second type is it will noton when your bike is on, it remain off. When you signal to do a turn, it willthen blink it a way that just like on & off.
Hope you can understand what I write "on & off". My country, I do not see those "they flash brigh

Old 09-02-2007, 11:18 AM
pauletich
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me more:

5) Read above

6) Read above

Great reply, very thorough.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:19 PM
scotty3
Road Captain

[/quote]

Hi scotty3,

Thank you so much for the information. Now I understand what is the single / double filament. Double filament is the 2wire in the bulb that use onheadlight& taillight for high/low beam & brake, right

First type is running signal light when the bike is onbut when yousignal to do a turn, it will blink it a way that just like on & off. My country, I do not see those "In the case of turn signals with double filaments the lower wattage one is often used as running lights (Lit all the time) and they flash brighter when you signal to do a turn".
Second type is it will noton when your bike is on, it remain off. When you signal to do a turn, it willthen blink it a way that just like on & off.
Hope you can understand what I write "on & off". My country, I do not see those "they flash brighter when you signal to do a turn". Correct me if I'm wrong, that it really brighter.

If you cantell me how toinstall for the light, that will be great help.
A)1wire type: I do not know howto replace this 1wire type with my current 2wire type.Currently now, my bike have those 2wire signallight,where /which connecting am I going to apply for the 1wire? You said "All lights require earth and power to work (minus & positive voltage)" For those 1wire type, how isit going to workwith only one wire?
B) 2wire type: For 2wire type,it just simply connect to the existing 2wire,rightas simple asthat.
C)3wire type:Again, the+/- wire just replace the existing, where is the earth wireI'm can connect it to?Is it thatIjust let it touch on any metal part or it can leave it not connect to anywhere?

I can simply pay & let those who know do it. But I'm always interest to do it myself. Hope I can find & have theinstall method and do it carefully.

Thanks again
Jackie
[/quote]

If your current turn signals are stock HD and have 2 wires running from them then most likely one is purple and one is black. (depending upon year & model)

The purple wire is + positive power and the black wire is - negative power (earth)

If you are going to hook up the single wire turn signal then it will get it's - negative (earth) power from the frame and the single wire just needs to get hooked up to were the original purple wire came from.

Now if you buy the 2 wire or 3 wire turn signals you are going to have to pull them apart and find out were the wires run to and the 2 wire ones might be double filament OR they might be single filament and the second wire is - negative (earth) but without having them here in my hand I cannont give you that answer.

The 3 wire ones in all probability are running light / turn signals with 1 wire for turn sinal and 1 wire for running light and 1 wire for earth but once again without having them in my hand i have no idea what yours would be.

Break out a multimeter and do some checking OR pay someone to do it or at the very least find someone who can physically show you the difference.

If you lived here in Australia I would gladly show you for no charge.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:09 AM
jackietan
Cruiser

Hi scotty3,

Hope you can understand what I write "on & off". My country, I do not see those "they flash brighter when you signal to do a turn". Correct me if I'm wrong, that it really brighter.

If you cantell me how toinstall for the light, that will be great help.
A)1wire type: I do not know howto replace this 1wire type with my current 2wire type.Currently now, my bike have those 2wire signallight,where /which connecting am I going to apply for the 1wire? You said "All lights require earth and power to work (minus & positive voltage)" For those 1wire type, how isit going to workwith only one wire?
B) 2wire type: For 2wire type,it just simply connect to the existing 2wire,rightas simple asthat.
C)3wire type:Again, the+/- wire just replace the existing, where is the earth wireI'm can connect it to?Is it thatIjust let it touch on any metal part or it can leave it not connect to anywhere?

I can simply pay & let those who know do it. But I'm always interest to do it myself. Hope I can find & have theinstall method and do it carefully.

Thanks again
Jackie
[/quote]

If your current turn signals are stock HD and have 2 wires running from them then most likely one is purple and one is black. (depending upon year & model)

The purple wire is + positive power and the black wire is - negative power (earth)

If you are going to hook up the single wire turn signal then it will get it's - negative (earth) power from the frame and the single wire just needs to get hooked up to were the original purple wire came from.

Now if you buy the 2 wire or 3 wire turn signals you are going to have to pull them apart and find out were the wires run to and the 2 wire ones might be double filament OR they might be single filament and the second wire is - negative (earth) but without having them here in my hand I cannont give you that answer.

The 3 wire ones in all probability are running light / turn signals with 1 wire for turn sinal and 1 wire for running light and 1 wire for earth but once again without having them in my hand i have no idea what yours would be.

Break out a multimeter and do some checking OR pay someone to do it or at the very least find someone who can physically show you the difference.

If you lived here in Australia I would gladly show you for no charge.

[/quote]

Hi scotty3,

I need one more help. My bike is not with me currenty and if you can help me.

Yes, there are one purple & one black wire. It does not have running light and it blinkwhen make a turn signal. Am I right to say that it is a single filament bulb?
There are 2 choice for me, to buy a 1wire single filament or 2wire double filagment signal light.

1) There will be no problem for me if I purchase the 1wire single filament signal light. I just need toreplace the purple wire to theblack wire. [b]Am I right to say that?