Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ignition Key Knob Install trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 07:08 AM
rocdoc
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Key **** Install trouble

Took the ignition key **** off easily on mu '07 FLHX now I can't get the devil back on.
Tried following the manual and it says I may need to purchase an additional tool from HD.
Any tips or tricks to putting her back on?

Old 09-01-2007, 12:49 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Ignition Key **** Install trouble

ORIGINAL: rocdoc

Took the ignition key **** off easily on mu '07 FLHX now I can't get the devil back on.
Tried following the manual and it says I may need to purchase an additional tool from HD.
Any tips or tricks to putting her back on?
I assume you got the two slot keys (or whatever you call them) out of alignment, something I did once. You can get it back in alignment by using a medium flatblade screwdriver and a flashlight. Stare at the ignition-switch rod, then using a flashlight look down the slot where the rod goes and determine the position the two keys in the slot need to be in to make the rod fit. Use the blade of the screwdriver to turn each key in the slot.

This may sound confusing, but it's the only way I can describe it. Basically, look at the rod, then look down the slot--and figure out how to move the two keys in the slot for the rod to fit properly. You'll know it's there when it works properly. Don't forget to use the spacers in the proper order and position, as you probably are in this fix because you inserted the rod without the spacers installed, then turned the ignition switch. As me how I know.