Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

ECM:s and Soft Ware Levels

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2024, 04:50 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 368 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
These ECMs were capable of Wide Band sensors is using special engineering software, but in the wild they are all narrow band.
Yes I've heard that. Could even adjust without stopping to flash a map, allowing to quickly build the calibrations.

Old 07-14-2024, 06:15 AM
OakMountainRider
Tourer
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
2006 US Domestic Dyna came with and without narrow band O2 sensors. 2006 Dyna did not have adaptive fuel. Adaptive fuel was turned on in 07 and later.

05A and later ECMs are O2 capable. 05A is actually an 06 ECM before the PN revved. These ECMs were capable of Wide Band sensors is using special engineering software, but in the wild they are all narrow band.
Sounds like my ECM is stone age. Still, Dynojet claim that although the Adaptive Control Switch is not present in tune software levels below 357, the Adaptive Control is activated by setting the temperature thresholds. However, this has not worked for me and I have no AFF activity in the data-log. But I have CLI activity, and I am ready to settle with that. When accelerating I have seen the CLI:s going up to about 110 % and felt the bike pull stronger.

P. S. Dynojet are really doing their best in their mail support, but if it is as you say that my ECM has no Adaptive Fuel capability, their efforts are of course in vain. Still they have not given up though. By the way, they say my ECM is type 14. Are there different upgrades of type 14, you mean?

Also, when you say Adaptive Fuel was turned on 2007, do you mean this happened through a change in hardware or software?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by OakMountainRider; 07-14-2024 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-15-2024, 10:34 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,680 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by OakMountainRider
Sounds like my ECM is stone age. Still, Dynojet claim that although the Adaptive Control Switch is not present in tune software levels below 357, the Adaptive Control is activated by setting the temperature thresholds. However, this has not worked for me and I have no AFF activity in the data-log. But I have CLI activity, and I am ready to settle with that. When accelerating I have seen the CLI:s going up to about 110 % and felt the bike pull stronger.

P. S. Dynojet are really doing their best in their mail support, but if it is as you say that my ECM has no Adaptive Fuel capability, their efforts are of course in vain. Still they have not given up though. By the way, they say my ECM is type 14. Are there different upgrades of type 14, you mean?

Also, when you say Adaptive Fuel was turned on 2007, do you mean this happened through a change in hardware or software?

Thanks a lot.
Type 14 means nothing other than a number DJ assigned to it. To put it as plain and simple as possible Adaptive Fuel Control does not work when using Wide Band Sensors in any model year to date from HD, period. It is not a support operation of any of HD's software. It is not and ECM hardware issue. If DJ shows it to you in any model year software as an option for Wide Band operation they are wrong.

Old 07-18-2024, 12:55 AM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

@OakMountainRider Adaptive control is overrated. I have had it disabled for years. If you have CLI working, just get your tune as dialed in as possible for your location and just let CLI do the day to day fine tuning. AFF is completely unnecessary and in my opinion, brings with it negatives, such as adjusting fuel in areas that you specifically set to be in open loop. I believe CLI can correct + or - 25% which is a huge range. You don't need AFF.

The following users liked this post:
OakMountainRider (07-18-2024)