Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

What Constitutes Knock in Logs

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2024, 03:24 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 379 Likes on 239 Posts

Well for one I'd assume anyone with RDRS would like it to work properly. It's nothing to do with MotoGP, it's about making the bike run the best it can where you ride it.

Old 07-06-2024, 03:40 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
Well for one I'd assume anyone with RDRS would like it to work properly. It's nothing to do with MotoGP, it's about making the bike run the best it can where you ride it.
Cool, but that has nothing to do with OP's questions in this thread, which should have been simple to answer for an expert.

Old 07-06-2024, 03:59 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
Cool, but that has nothing to do with OP's questions in this thread, which should have been simple to answer for an expert.
It was. Just had to correct some stuff when "experts" tried to explain how it worked.

Old 07-06-2024, 04:10 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

It was. Just had to correct some stuff when "experts" tried to explain how it worked.
Yeah, I guess I should go **** myself for trying to help another rider out with something I have some experience with. Somehow I, along with thousands of others, have managed to successfully tune my bike with just the "handicapped" PV.

Old 07-06-2024, 04:28 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member

No need to do that to yourself. Everyone is usually trying to help. I just get a little wound up when someone questions Steve Coles knowledge or product.

Old 07-06-2024, 04:37 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

No need to do that to yourself. Everyone is usually trying to help. I just get a little wound up when someone questions Steve Coles knowledge or product.
Ah I see, TTS is his product. I didn't question his knowledge, I was just pointing out that instead of honestly answering a relatively simple(for him) question, he basically said "it depends and it's too complicated." But he's selling a competing product, so it makes sense. I'm moving along now.

Old 07-06-2024, 06:58 PM
b0fh
Road Captain
Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
Ah I see, TTS is his product. I didn't question his knowledge, I was just pointing out that instead of honestly answering a relatively simple(for him) question, he basically said "it depends and it's too complicated." But he's selling a competing product, so it makes sense. I'm moving along now.
take a chill pill. you're right, but so is steve

Old 07-07-2024, 06:11 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 110 Posts

Did anyone notice that the PV2 could tune spark?

Well, I say could, there is a setting in autotune that said it could do it ...but it never worked, it just took spark out and out and out ...and well, as Steve said - if you don't know which frame (8 per second with the PV2 last time I looked) an actual event took place, because of the electronics and data transfer Steve explained, then well sometimes your calculations are simply wrong. Anyways, Dynojet themselves told me NOT to use it.
Just saying, No doubt the logs will get you close enough to something.

Old 07-07-2024, 07:39 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
Did anyone notice that the PV2 could tune spark?

Well, I say could, there is a setting in autotune that said it could do it ...but it never worked, it just took spark out and out and out ...and well, as Steve said - if you don't know which frame (8 per second with the PV2 last time I looked) an actual event took place, because of the electronics and data transfer Steve explained, then well sometimes your calculations are simply wrong. Anyways, Dynojet themselves told me NOT to use it.
Just saying, No doubt the logs will get you close enough to something.

If you want the truth it's just what I've said. If Red Dragons doesn't want to believe it that's his choice but the fact remains that DynoJet themselves have been saying for years not to use the autotune process on the spark side with any of their HD product as it doesn't work properly. This is just why I explained, it's not a simple answer, which Red Dragons seems to believe there is. All you can do is take your best educated guess due to the data problems that are there. If you want to believe that you can do it correctly when missing near 75% of the correct data that's fine but this is supposed to be where the TECH side of things gets discussed. All the smart *** comments are not needed by anyone who really wants to try and understand how things work and the limits that come along with it.

Last edited by Steve Cole; 07-07-2024 at 07:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gordon61 (07-11-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 11:52 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
If you want the truth it's just what I've said. If Red Dragons doesn't want to believe it that's his choice but the fact remains that DynoJet themselves have been saying for years not to use the autotune process on the spark side with any of their HD product as it doesn't work properly. This is just why I explained, it's not a simple answer, which Red Dragons seems to believe there is. All you can do is take your best educated guess due to the data problems that are there. If you want to believe that you can do it correctly when missing near 75% of the correct data that's fine but this is supposed to be where the TECH side of things gets discussed. All the smart *** comments are not needed by anyone who really wants to try and understand how things work and the limits that come along with it.
Uhh, I never said anything about using autotune for spark and I have never used it for that. I'll say it one more time, for the third time I believe now, I successfully tuned out my knocks using nothing but PV logs, just as thousands of tuners out there do every day. If the data was that off, then this would be impossible. It works just fine. And also, I'm not pushing a product.

Quick Reply: What Constitutes Knock in Logs