Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

What Constitutes Knock in Logs

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 11:57 AM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
I think you might be looking at the knock retard, not the adaptive knock retard. That table just sets the limit that the adaptive can learn.
I'm tuning today but will come back and post some data to show what I'm trying to explain.
I was looking at the adaptive knock retard table in the picture you posted. I said that table sets the maximum amount of retard it will allow. We are saying the same thing. But it doesn't persist after key-off.

Old 06-25-2024, 12:35 PM
stroisi12
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
When you're looking in your log, try to find a spot where it's not in between cells. For example, 60kpa @ 3500rpm. You can directly compare to that intersection of the spark table and I'll bet you it's right on. Unless of course you're showing spark knock retard in that spot, in which case it should be whatever is at that spot in your spark table minus the degrees of retard.
So I just did another logging ride after adding 2 degrees timing in the higher load/RPM ranges. I see a few areas of knock where i hit it hard, but looks pretty good. As far as the Advance in the logs I really don't know. I am attaching my log file. You can see my added columns RP1, MAP1, TP1, Retard_F, and Retard_2. RPM1, MAP1, and TP1 map to the tables in PV. Retard_F and Retard_R are Advance R and Advance minus Spark Advance Table in PV. I think your right, there is a lot more going on in the ECM than PV is showing us. Where these values are 0, Advance in the log is the same as the PV Spark Table. But I cannot find a pattern yet. BTW, Adaptive Spark is zero'ed out for this run. Here are my Spark tables:

Attached Files
File Type: csv
log0022_MAI.csv (1.26 MB, 11 views)
Old 06-25-2024, 01:00 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Wow, yeah the M8 logs are significantly different from mine. It's weird that there are fields for advance and retard at the same time and those numbers don't seem to correlate to the knock events. The Twin Cam logs are much simpler. I think I read that the M8 uses a totally different method for detecting knocking, so that could have something to do with it. Really curious what the KnockInt field is.

But the good news is it seems like you've got it pretty dialed in. The only knocks you got were near WOT, and it was only 3 on the rear cylinder.

One thing I found curious about your spark tables is that your idle advance is different for each cylinder, and the rear is more advanced. I wonder if they did that to try to keep the rear pipe cooler at idle.

Old 06-25-2024, 02:06 PM
stroisi12
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, yeah the M8 logs are significantly different from mine. It's weird that there are fields for advance and retard at the same time and those numbers don't seem to correlate to the knock events. The Twin Cam logs are much simpler. I think I read that the M8 uses a totally different method for detecting knocking, so that could have something to do with it. Really curious what the KnockInt field is.

But the good news is it seems like you've got it pretty dialed in. The only knocks you got were near WOT, and it was only 3 on the rear cylinder.

One thing I found curious about your spark tables is that your idle advance is different for each cylinder, and the rear is more advanced. I wonder if they did that to try to keep the rear pipe cooler at idle.
Actually, this log is from a program I wrote that reads the PV log. I did it to get the RPMs , MAP, and TP normalized It also creates the retard fields using the original log and the PV tables. I am guessing my actual log file from the PV is similar to your. Anyway, thanks for your help!

Old 06-25-2024, 02:14 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by stroisi12
Actually, this log is from a program I wrote that reads the PV log. I did it to get the RPMs , MAP, and TP normalized It also creates the retard fields using the original log and the PV tables. I am guessing my actual log file from the PV is similar to your. Anyway, thanks for your help!
Oh I got ya. Well looks like you've got it all down. Glad I could help.

Old 06-25-2024, 05:08 PM
Rusty Springs
Road Captain
Received 472 Likes on 275 Posts

I think you might be looking at the knock retard, not the adaptive knock retard. That table just sets the limit that the adaptive can learn.
I'm tuning today but will come back and post some data to show what I'm trying to explain.
Thanks for the clarification. The dyno guy left my knock control off and the adaptive table zeroed out. I'll fix the table now that I know what it does.

Old 06-25-2024, 06:36 PM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 313 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty Springs
Thanks for the clarification. The dyno guy left my knock control off and the adaptive table zeroed out. I'll fix the table now that I know what it does.
Unless he was having issues with false events he should have left the knock control on and the adaptive reset to original. The odd bike will have issues with false events, usually due to non stock plugs or wires. In that event you should just fix the issue.

Old 06-25-2024, 07:03 PM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 313 Likes on 201 Posts

I was looking at the adaptive knock retard table in the picture you posted. I said that table sets the maximum amount of retard it will allow. We are saying the same thing. But it doesn't persist after key-off.
No we aren't saying the same thing. The table you're talking about sets how much the bike will learn. There is another table that sets the amount of knock the bike can pull. All I can say is when working your spark tables the adaptive one should be zeroed out.

Here is a screen shot of knock retard with the adaptive table zeroed out. If the adaptive table was enabled chances are these wouldn't show up. Your choice on how you do it but this is the correct way.

Old 06-25-2024, 09:00 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

No we aren't saying the same thing. The table you're talking about sets how much the bike will learn. There is another table that sets the amount of knock the bike can pull. All I can say is when working your spark tables the adaptive one should be zeroed out.

Here is a screen shot of knock retard with the adaptive table zeroed out. If the adaptive table was enabled chances are these wouldn't show up. Your choice on how you do it but this is the correct way.

Ok dude, we're speaking different languages here. I have no idea what I'm looking at with Mastertune. The thread starter was asking about PV LOGS and that's what I was helping him with. And for the 3rd time I will tell you with certainty that on TWIN CAM ECUs, knock retard DOES NOT persist after key-off cycle. On EVERY SINGLE logging run I've ever done, the only knock retard comes from the knock events recorded ON THAT RUN.

Old 06-25-2024, 09:33 PM
Rusty Springs
Road Captain
Received 472 Likes on 275 Posts

Unless he was having issues with false events he should have left the knock control on and the adaptive reset to original. The odd bike will have issues with false events, usually due to non stock plugs or wires. In that event you should just fix the issue.
It has stock plugs and wires. I enabled knock control over the weekend and ran a few datalogs. It only pulls a few degrees when I get on it hard, but I figured that was to be expected on a 100 degree day. I don't know why he disabled it.

Quick Reply: What Constitutes Knock in Logs