Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Powervision, oilcooler weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 10:00 AM
DynamoniusRex
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Powervision, oilcooler weirdness

Ok so here is a weird one. I have a powervision, map, a target tune module, and a map that was optimized from fuelmoto for an S&S 124 Twin Cam that has larger 5.3 injectors, a 2-1, and an S&S stealth air cleaner. These are all in a 2012 Dyna Street bob. I added an Ultracool oil cooler with the fans (which required me to remove the main fuse during install). Now at around 3k-4k I got a terrible hesitation in the throttle. Felt like it was misfiring. I figured when removing the fuse ECM must need to catch up and relearn some things. On my way to work I ran an autotune session using my map and the bike ran perfectly. Ran another autotune session on the way home and bike ran perfectly. Loaded the tune up this morning and the hesitation is back. I'm not sure what the differences are between a map running autotune and a map not running it but there is something different. The idle seems different now as well unless I'm in autotune (I have the target tune module) mode and was wondering if anyone has heard of this before or if there is some parameter that you know of that I could adjust. I'm at work now and will take a data log on the way home but I find it so strange that all I did was add an oil cooler and now I'm having these problems. No leaks, checked oil level, rechecked install so I'm not restricted and bike doesn't get hot (I monitor it with my powervision). I'm not even sure where to post this because while a mechanical change was made, the difference in riding from the autotune to a regular map leads me to believe it might be a timing or tuning issue. Has anyone ever heard of something like this happening? Thanks to anyone that might have some input. I'm not sure how to cross post this into the dyna general section so I am going to post it there at well. Don't get mad at me.

Old 04-23-2024, 10:20 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,362 Likes on 5,501 Posts

You maybe chasing a ghost.
Stop. Reload the tune that was working you should have a copy of it. Pulling main fuse will not effect the tune.
Slim chance it effected the TWB.

Old 04-23-2024, 10:37 AM
DynamoniusRex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by smitty901
You maybe chasing a ghost.
Stop. Reload the tune that was working you should have a copy of it. Pulling main fuse will not effect the tune.
Slim chance it effected the TWB.
I actually did reload the last working tune tune just a few minutes ago and went for a short ride (had some free time at work) and it did the same thing. As for the throttle, I have cables but I do know that there is a TPS, would that be the same as what you are referring to? Thanks for your reply.

Old 04-23-2024, 02:24 PM
WS6_Keith
Cruiser
Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

When you enable AT PRO, one of the things it does is change the A/F table values to 13.0:1 from the standard table. This makes all areas that were normally 14.6:1 or whatever, richer. Until the VE is correct in those areas, the new lower A/F target may have the engine running too rich to run smoothly. Once AT cleans that area up and corrects the VE so that the actual A/F matches the A/F table, and you disable AT, which puts that table back to the standard targets, it will run as it should.

Old 04-23-2024, 02:34 PM
DynamoniusRex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WS6_Keith
When you enable AT PRO, one of the things it does is change the A/F table values to 13.0:1 from the standard table. This makes all areas that were normally 14.6:1 or whatever, richer. Until the VE is correct in those areas, the new lower A/F target may have the engine running too rich to run smoothly. Once AT cleans that area up and corrects the VE so that the actual A/F matches the A/F table, and you disable AT, which puts that table back to the standard targets, it will run as it should.
Thank you for the reply. I'll be running it in autotune to get back and forth from work as it's my only vehicle and runs great while in that mode. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around why it would have started after installing the oil cooler. I've taken logs with autotune on, autotune off and will be sending those along with my map to fuel moto. I was just trying to see if anyone had any idea as to why this started now. I wouldn't think an oil cooler would have done something like that. When running it rough with autotune off I can even feel a knock in my left foot peg every so often, then turn it on and boom runs smooth. Just super strange to me and I can't logically think of a reason as to why it would do that.

Old 04-23-2024, 03:07 PM
jake24lt
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by DynamoniusRex
Thank you for the reply. I'll be running it in autotune to get back and forth from work as it's my only vehicle and runs great while in that mode. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around why it would have started after installing the oil cooler. I've taken logs with autotune on, autotune off and will be sending those along with my map to fuel moto. I was just trying to see if anyone had any idea as to why this started now. I wouldn't think an oil cooler would have done something like that. When running it rough with autotune off I can even feel a knock in my left foot peg every so often, then turn it on and boom runs smooth. Just super strange to me and I can't logically think of a reason as to why it would do that.
It shouldn't make any difference, but disconnect the power to the fan and run it again. Stranger things have happened with electricity.

Old 04-23-2024, 03:18 PM
DynamoniusRex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jake24lt
It shouldn't make any difference, but disconnect the power to the fan and run it again. Stranger things have happened with electricity.
Yep I hear that. I'll get some info together and test some thing and then I'll update this post in the future when I figure it out so if someone else has this problem they'll have somewhere to look. I've also found that since the 2012 was the first year of the CANBUS in a dyna that I have one of those sweet "bastard" bikes where things are halfway in between a 2011 and 2013. I've run into a few issues along the way and it always seems to come back to a wiring difference.