Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Wet Bike wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Stashedhis
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet Bike wont start!

Hello! I have a serious problem here. Everytime I wash the bike it won't start. It's like the ignition has gotten wet. Last Biketober Fest found a wee bit of rain. Bike started acting up again like it does when washed. Took it for it's 10,000 mile check up. Ask mechanic about problem? They couldnt find. Has anybody had this happen? It's a 2003 Screaming Eagle Duece Thanks Mike

Old 11-21-2005, 12:11 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior
Default RE: Wet Bike wont start!

What type of air filter do you have on it? Wouldn't be a hyper charger or S&S with slots in the front would it?

Old 11-21-2005, 01:37 PM
Stashedhis
Stage IV

hello! It's got the stage 2 system on it. Which I believe is K&N filter. One person has emailed me thinking of the spark plug wires. They have close to 13,000 miles now.

Old 11-21-2005, 01:49 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

Could be spark plug wires, and the change out is fairly cheap and easy. Have you tried pouring water on the just the wires and plugs to see if that causes the same problem?
I have the K&N air filter inside of an S&S slotted air box and when it rains and it goes through the filter the motor gets testy... A friend has a Fatboy with a Hypercharger and it will die if it is raining very hard and gets sucked into the carb....

Old 11-21-2005, 03:31 PM
Stashedhis
Stage IV

havent tried actually spraying the plug wires. it's done this the last couple years. the first time it's ever started breaking during a ride when it started rainning. I hate to spray it right now .. I just spent a few hours yesterday washing. it's like after a few hours of sitting there drying out.. not starting.. then it will pop off a few times ... but just one of the cylinders will fire... then after few mins the other will pop off running .. then breaks up for a few mins...it's nasty

Old 11-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

If it's a short, it will show. On my brothers Triumph he had a similar problem and we misted the running engine with a spray bottle, in a dark garage. We were then able to see the short as it hit, and able to see where to fix the problem.