Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tons of TPS Codes. 2015 Street Glide.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 03:34 PM
WhiskeyNWheels
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tons of TPS Codes. 2015 Street Glide.

I'll start with I'm newer to HD. I have a 2015 Street Glide with about 22k miles. (Got it last year with 16k) it always had a CEL for TPS but cleared and ran fine even though CEL stayed on and Cruise Control didn't work. I started the bike up for a spring ride and rode to work and on the way home she just felt, off. So checked the codes and this is what I have. I know the last two probably are not related but left them in just in case it's something odd. I've cleaned the connector a bunch behind the air filter tried with grease and still there. Now I have the whole front of the bike off because I do have after market bars (came on it) and was going to check the connection in the bars BUT the wiring is so tight I can not pull the throttle out. Codes are below. Anything I can test with a voltmeter to try and narrow this down before I keep taking stuff off?

P0120 TPS1 Range Error P0123 TPS2 High/Open P0220 TPS2 Range Error P0222 TPS2 Low/Open P1510 EFI Limited Performance Mode P2138 TGS Correlation Error (Twist grip sensor) B2146 Right front turn signal output open U0184 Lost comm w/radio

Old 03-16-2024, 06:38 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,463 Likes on 2,211 Posts

Similar codes on mine awhile back......
You can try cleaning all the connectors with some electrical contact cleaner/spray and start it up and see if the codes stay cleared.....
Common trouble areas are the connection into the ECM, the Twist grip sensor and the connector into the TPS.....
I did all that on mine and it cleared all except for the TPS, had to replace.....
On some bikes you can change just the TPS, but of course on mine I had to change the whole unit.....lol.....about 400 bucks.....

As you clean the connectors, spray a little dielectric grease on them before plugging them back in.....A common problem is corroded connections so cleaning might clear your codes.....If not, changing out the TGS or the TPS is not difficult....
Many vids out there on YouTube to help.....

Edit.....I just checked the receipt......it was 250, not 400 bucks......they call it the electronic induction module.....

Edit # 2....lol......my book calls the failed part the "throttle position sensor"......
HD parts calls it the "throttle control actuator".....the TCA is part of the electronic induction module and is not sold separately.....

Last edited by bentryder; 03-16-2024 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-16-2024, 10:47 PM
WhiskeyNWheels
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bentryder
Similar codes on mine awhile back......
You can try cleaning all the connectors with some electrical contact cleaner/spray and start it up and see if the codes stay cleared.....
Common trouble areas are the connection into the ECM, the Twist grip sensor and the connector into the TPS.....
I did all that on mine and it cleared all except for the TPS, had to replace.....
On some bikes you can change just the TPS, but of course on mine I had to change the whole unit.....lol.....about 400 bucks.....

As you clean the connectors, spray a little dielectric grease on them before plugging them back in.....A common problem is corroded connections so cleaning might clear your codes.....If not, changing out the TGS or the TPS is not difficult....
Many vids out there on YouTube to help.....

Edit.....I just checked the receipt......it was 250, not 400 bucks......they call it the electronic induction module.....

Edit # 2....lol......my book calls the failed part the "throttle position sensor"......
HD parts calls it the "throttle control actuator".....the TCA is part of the electronic induction module and is not sold separately.....
[size=16px]My issue is I can't get the throttle out. Its jammed in there it seems from the wiring. It will slide out a little but not much. I don't want to jack the wiring yanking on it if it's fine and cause other issues.[/size]

Old 03-17-2024, 08:51 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 693 Posts

the tps is a dual unit just like on a car. it is set up as a check/balance. one pot supplies a positive reading and the other a negative reading and the ecu looks to see if they match within a window, and if not, the machine will go to limp mode and the cruise will not work. i cannot see that it is jamming, not to say it isn't, just never saw it. you can try and run some diluted dawn dish soap through the bars to add so lube.
you could check with two VOM but they are mostly a hit/miss thing that pops up and hard to catch unless it is a hard code.

Old 03-17-2024, 11:56 AM
WhiskeyNWheels
2nd Gear

Well I pulled on the throttle until it came out. Screwed the wires (if they weren't already) also while pulling the wiring through to bottom of the bars I managed to pull apart the hand control wires which were just twisted together and electrical taped. So now debating on buying the harnesses and replacing or getting another set of pre-wired bars.

Old 03-17-2024, 12:37 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

If you are going to replace the twist grip sensor the updated one is the same as the CVO. No pesky green connector in the bars.

Old 03-17-2024, 02:52 PM
WhiskeyNWheels
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
If you are going to replace the twist grip sensor the updated one is the same as the CVO. No pesky green connector in the bars.
What's different? Looking at the updated part 32305-08B it looks like it's still 2 connectors and requiring the harness through the bars. Maybe im dumb but i dont understand why they didnt just make one piece instead of the harness. Also looks like I need to get the extensions for the hand controls as that's why they pulled apart, whoever installed the bars just spliced the wires instead of using an extension.

Old 03-17-2024, 03:14 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

I think you may be right. On my 16 there was no green connector, 15 is probably the same. It's been awhile maybe the difference was on 13 and older. My 16 had a small connector on the end and didn't need to be removed to pull thru the bars. The second connector you see is for heated grips. Again, going off an old memory bank.

Old 03-19-2024, 09:26 AM
memphisharley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 466 Likes on 356 Posts

get the screaming eagle tgs as it does not have the green connector.
that said your issue could be with the plug wires going to that TCA or the TCA itself. remove the plug and plug it back and remove it a few times to see if things change. the pins could be fretted. be sure to put dialectic grease on the pins when reinstalling.

Old 03-19-2024, 01:39 PM
WhiskeyNWheels
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by memphisharley
get the screaming eagle tgs as it does not have the green connector.
that said your issue could be with the plug wires going to that TCA or the TCA itself. remove the plug and plug it back and remove it a few times to see if things change. the pins could be fretted. be sure to put dialectic grease on the pins when reinstalling.
I did this a lot with no results. As of now replacing the TGS and if the issue persists I will move to replacing the whole TCA. Then it will come if I want/can upgrade it as I do have the S/E tuner.

Quick Reply: Tons of TPS Codes. 2015 Street Glide.