Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

V&H FP3 Auto Tune question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 08:39 PM
Leimy
Tourer
Veteran: Air Force
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Stinger1
Also, when I did my stage 2 with cams the FP3 did an excellent job with that as well. Another $500 saved.

But...But... When you go beyond a stage 2 the FP3 wont handle the changes. Don't know don't care. I'm not gonna do a stage 3.
Agree. Im happy with my stage 2 upgrade. I have no interest in racing anyone, and I can hit 60-70 in a very quick throttle twist.
And the V&H FP3 allows for throttle progressivity, which just means how fast the power comes on as you twist the throttle. I have it set at agreesive, there is still one more setting for RACE.
With my throttle setting, My acceleration is about as fast as my buddy who has a 114, with a stage II cam set-up.
Can't wait till I add MY cam....vroom vroom

Old 04-04-2024, 08:54 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Leimy
I know there is a lot of discussion about the V&H vs other after-market bolt on, tuner devices. Yes, the V&H is not dyno friendly since most dyno shops don't have the equipment to connect and tune with the V&H.
However, and I don't know, do the other companies have the direct access to the tuner, via cell phone app, and can provide immediate support. This to me is value of V&H
Originally Posted by Stinger1
OH the FP3 is garbage, they are junk, they won't do a proper "tune".
Hmmmmmmmmm, that's strange. If i'm correct the FP3 is the #1 selling tuner of all time. You know who started all this "FP3's are garbage" crap? TUNERS! They hate the FP3 because now you can do "tunes" yourself and you don't need to spend $500 everytime you make a performance change. Imagine that. If I was a "tuner" I would hate them also.

So, they try to convince everybody that they are junk. So after a stage 1 "tune" on my FP3 I saved myself $500 from a trip to a dyno and have them rip my engine to redline like 50 times, punch a few keys on the computer and hand me a bill and a piece of paper that said they gained 2 HP and 3 ft lbs of torque.

Well, you can keep your piece of paper and I'll keep my $500. That is all.
And by the way, FP3's rock!
I understand you're happy with what you got and that's fine, your bike your decisions

As far as the bold underlined statement: this is not even a possibility with the VH unit, you can use a third party device to log data (on a dyno or riding on the street) and then use the tables available in FP3 to make changes but his is very time consuming and cumbersome

MY biggest issue with the FP3 is the fact that it can't log data which would provide you information on where your tune is right and where it still needs some work, this is what really concerns me about letting a person make changes to a map logged in remotely that hasn't rode the bike or heard the bike run. Is the issue really the map? Is a sensor giving miss information? Could there be a mechanical issue like a bad injector or vacuum leak? How can you address timing without data? I had a bike once that the owner thought that the Power Commander had failed (seen a few that have) I hooked up my Power Vision and took the bike for a ride while logging data, when I reviewed the log I found when the bike acted up the temp sensor was giving false readings, it was very intermittent, changed the temp sensor and the bike ran great, how would I be able to find that problem with the way FP works? ended up removing the Power Commander and tuning bike with Power Vision anyway because owner didn't want the chance of Power Commander failing on him, totally his idea I didn't try to sell him anything.

Second issue I have is the limited number of tables available with FP3. I used a FP3 that a buddy had on his bike a few years back and the amount of tables available was far less than Power Vision or TTS, IMO this severely limited how accurate I could get his tune. I dialed in his VE with the auto-tune feature and his bike ran significantly better but there was no way to really do any more. I'm comfortable using narrow band O2 sensors to tune VE so this really doesn't bother me to tune VE that way but without data there wasn't any more I could do.

I think if V&H gave you the ability to log data and interface with a PC it would be a much more capable device. I think it could be done as Dynojet seems to be going this way with their Power Vision 4, maybe V&H will follow suit

It has always been my opinion that tuning depends much more on the person using the device vs which device is being used, some platforms are easier to use and have more capability than others. In the end though it depends on the person operating that device

If I really think about it you putting your trust into the person remotely logged into your bike and making changes isn't much different than dropping your bike off at a tuning shop. I for the life of me can not see how they have enough information to make changes remotely, if you have any information on this could you please share it so I can understand their process

Not trying to argue just trying to be more educated

The following users liked this post:
Gordon61 (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 08:06 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Leimy
And the V&H FP3 allows for throttle progressivity, which just means how fast the power comes on as you twist the throttle. I have it set at agreesive, there is still one more setting for RACE..
With my throttle setting, My acceleration is about as fast as my buddy who has a 114, with a stage II cam set-up.
Yep, great that you are happy but there is a bit of a misunderstanding here - throttle progressively does not magic power out of nowhere, it just sets (or maps) the percentage of throttle opening to the percentage of throttle twist. Best it can do is 1 to 1, and regarding power, only what the engine has.

A 107 is not going to outrun a 114 with a cam - unless the 114 has the worst tune ever, or he is just easier on his bike. Worst tune ever might be one of those canned DIY maps that was mentioned.

There is a lot of good stuff in this forum, up to those that might be interested to take it or leave it

Last edited by Gordon61; 04-06-2024 at 08:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lonewolf176 (04-06-2024)