Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Dealer SERT Flash

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 01:52 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dealer SERT Flash

they dont dyno none of the bikes from the factory. but if you are going to add a sert,pc3,or a fuelpack . its better to have it dynoed.for more reasons than just power .

Old 10-25-2007, 07:01 PM
Pixs
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: sporty2003

they dont dyno none of the bikes from the factory. but if you are going to add a sert,pc3,or a fuelpack . its better to have it dynoed.for more reasons than just power .
The whole point of the newer add on fuel devices is to eliminate the need for a dyno tune, maybe not the best but close enough that you will never know the difference in the seat of your pants, where it counts.

The next generation of devices should be spot on. Besides a dyno tune may not be the best for your riding style, while the self tunning devices will adjust to your ridding habits.

Best wishes,

Pixs

Old 10-25-2007, 08:03 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

The SERT cannot do anything as far as custom modifying the reflash from the dealer. You cannot "download" the dealers reflash file out of the ECM, adjust its tables, then reflash the ECM. The SERT cannot download any calibration file already loaded into the ECM. When flashing the ECM with the SERT, the calibration file in the Tuning Mode software completely overwrites the current ECM data with the new data. The SERT Data Mode software (also on the CD) can be used to monitor bike performance as you ride down the road and have a laptop pc connected to the bike and the Data Mode software running. This is sometimes called the "poor mans dyno" and this method has been used in the past with some success. (instead of paying big bux for the dyno to a dyno guy who probably doesn't know didly about the SERT or the relationship of the various tables and MAP/throttle positions, VE values, etc.) Each to his own....but if you can find a dyno guy that really knows the SERT tuning procedure, the money will be well spent.

Using the Tuner software that comes wtih the SERT CD, you can use one of the canned calibration files to get you into the ball park. Just find the one for your model bike/ecm that closely mimics the air cleaner, cylinders, cams, and pipes you have bolted on the bike. Heck, it might even get you real close if you are using Screamin Eagle parts throughout. Remember that SERT calibration files have been optimized with bikes using only SE parts, so you wont hear the mention of Rinehart, Andrews, Samson, Vance&Hines, etc. The SERT can totally reflash your ECM with a new calibration file, but the calibration file that the dealer put in the ECM is not retrievable with anything we as consumers have at our disposal....as far as I know. Maybe someone else has that magic bullet and can comment...

Check out this link for some SERT info, along with some of the CD contents from version J (up through MY 2007). http://www.w4jf.com/s_e_r_t_.htm

Good luck with your tuning, Joe

Old 10-27-2007, 12:39 AM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 98 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: roadtrip

I think I just got bent over by my SE PA HD dealer. I took my 2007 softail custom in for a SERT flash after I installed a SE Air cleaner and a set of Rush mufflers. On the way home I noticed it is popping on decel. After scanning the forum I found theat this can be remedied by cutting the decel numbers in the confouration in half (making it richer on decel). I called the service department and the manager told me the program they installed could not be modified as it is a standard flash. I think that's a load of bull and they simply don't know how to or don't want to do it. I paid $230 for the map ($154 + labor. what a joke) and for that kind of money I want it right. I'm sorry I didn't put the $230 toward my own SERT kit. Does anyone know if the dealers use the SE race tuner to download these maps? If not how's it done?
You got a cartridge flash. It is a predefined map by Harley that still complies to epa.

Why does everyone think the sert cost $450. You can buy any version of the SERT that is EFI. The only difference between the versions is the CD that comes with it. You can buy the latest CD for $20 from any dealer.

You can buy a SERT for $350 to $400. There are some on ebay right now. I kept a search going and found a newly listed for $200 buy it now. New cd and I was good to go for $220.

Dyno time varies widely by location and dealer.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:26 PM
hevis1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wlbowers
You got a cartridge flash. It is a predefined map by Harley that still complies to epa.

Why does everyone think the sert cost $450. You can buy any version of the SERT that is EFI. The only difference between the versions is the CD that comes with it. You can buy the latest CD for $20 from any dealer.

You can buy a SERT for $350 to $400. There are some on ebay right now. I kept a search going and found a newly listed for $200 buy it now. New cd and I was good to go for $220.

Dyno time varies widely by location and dealer.

So you're saying I can buy any used SERT+ for EFI and the CD from my local H.D. dealer? Or, must the SERT be unmarried / New, never used?

Last edited by hevis1; 11-15-2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: typo