Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Testing for Spark on M8 touring

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 02:24 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,045 Likes on 1,857 Posts

Why the compression is so low would be my #1 concern, or did I miss it?

The following users liked this post:
Fat11Lo (01-16-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 05:29 PM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

@Schex readjusted pushrods, then am going to add 5ml oil to spark hole and retest compression. Am hoping that fixes issue of compression

Old 01-15-2024, 06:20 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,045 Likes on 1,857 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ_Glide
@Schex readjusted pushrods, then am going to add 5ml oil to spark hole and retest compression. Am hoping that fixes issue of compression
Test it without the oil first, or better yet, just start it up
I'm hoping the pushrod adjustment is the root of the problems

Old 01-15-2024, 06:49 PM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser

@Schex bit of a novice still for wrenching, I thinking compression issue will lie with either the pushrods which I believe are now correct or something with valves or valve seals. When adjusting I set marks the 12 oclock flywheel sprocket 6 o clock cam sprocket and adjusted so they turn by finger then turned marks til they aligned again and they still turn. Did same on front cylinder. Waited 30 to 50 min to bleed which I didn't do first time.... when redoing heads I cleaned them well and used a cloth buffer to sort of clean the valves with brake cleaner. Now I'm worried I altered the valves? I don't think anything I did would alter anything but THAT much. Never used valve grind compound or anything like that. This may not be forum for it but any recommendations on low compression issues? I don't think piston rings are issue I made sure they were in correct orientation and ring spacing when installing as I was very **** about it.

Old 01-15-2024, 07:30 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,873 Likes on 1,268 Posts

I remember a leak down test was mentioned earlier.
Kinda thinking that now would be a good idea and will help answer question about pistons ,cyl,rings ,valves.

WP

Old 01-15-2024, 10:51 PM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser

@WP50 out of ignorance I need to ask, is a leak down test the oil in the spark hole? Service manual is NOT specific on this as I have found.. haha

Old 01-16-2024, 03:31 AM
paulmedford
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

Crank it and check the compression first without the oil in the spark plug hole, if its still low then use the oil and see if the compression raises.The oil is a test to see if its a mechanical issue like rings valve seal etc, its not a fix. for A leak down test you will need compressed air and the gauge (its a two gauge assembly), The compressed air goes in one gauge, the other gauge goes into the cylinder, . Turn the psi up to around 80 on the left gauge and look at the right gauge and see the psi. ( you will hear it as if it leaking). Minus the two and divide by the psi you used on the LEFT gauge, multiply by 100 to get the % leak down. Note to keep the air running. and make sure the cylinder is on compression stroke.
Before you do all that check the compression first as you adjusted the pushrods. Also did you check the CKP voltage and does your bike sound similar to mine when cranking?

Last edited by paulmedford; 01-16-2024 at 03:33 AM.
Old 01-16-2024, 07:45 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,873 Likes on 1,268 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ_Glide
@WP50 out of ignorance I need to ask, is a leak down test the oil in the spark hole? Service manual is NOT specific on this as I have found.. haha
Well Kinda but there is more to it than just that.
Gotta get to work ,maybe one of guys will have time to explain or find youtube that'll help.

I'll ck back soon as I can WP

Old 01-16-2024, 09:22 AM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by paulmedford
Crank it and check the compression first without the oil in the spark plug hole, if its still low then use the oil and see if the compression raises.The oil is a test to see if its a mechanical issue like rings valve seal etc, its not a fix. for A leak down test you will need compressed air and the gauge (its a two gauge assembly), The compressed air goes in one gauge, the other gauge goes into the cylinder, . Turn the psi up to around 80 on the left gauge and look at the right gauge and see the psi. ( you will hear it as if it leaking). Minus the two and divide by the psi you used on the LEFT gauge, multiply by 100 to get the % leak down. Note to keep the air running. and make sure the cylinder is on compression stroke.
Before you do all that check the compression first as you adjusted the pushrods. Also did you check the CKP voltage and does your bike sound similar to mine when cranking?
have not gone back out to check ckp voltage yet, and it more or less sounds like yours. Mine is more slow when cranking by a decent amount. I'll get a video when I have some time to work on it. I'll try to get stuff for a leak down test if compression is not any better when I check today quickly.

Old 01-16-2024, 09:33 AM
Since 1968
Road Master
Received 458 Likes on 304 Posts

It may be possible to rent a leakdown test kit from one of the automotive stores. I chose to buy one a while back and I went low dollar as I didn't expect to need it much. This was a mistake as it came with a leak in a made-up hose fitting. I wound up spending more cash to get it workable. If you buy one, keep that in mind. Maybe someone can chime in with a source for one that is trustworthy. I should have asked here before I bought the cheapest thing I could find.

Quick Reply: Testing for Spark on M8 touring