Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Testing for Spark on M8 touring

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 12:56 PM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Schex
Didn’t you say you couldn’t pull the clutch lever?
That is what I was referring to.

There’s no adjustment, on the hydraulic clutch, OEM anyway.
So something’s amiss there
It being a ‘17 bike, was the clutch master and slave ever flushed?
I don’t know if high moisture in the fluid could freeze in extreme cold, is that even possible?
I live in south Louisiana, so I don’t know about that.
didn't touch master or slave on the bike, only took primary and all that off... i can drain the fluid no issue, should I? I did it last year and year before as it do it yearly. It's still real hard to pull clutch in after it warmed significantly and I've never had this issue in past winters. I have no problem pulling primary apart now as I do think I messed up that final drive nut that goes on outside the basket and plates and all that. But I don't think that would effect the clutch lever?... I'm not sure.

Old 01-24-2024, 12:58 PM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by paulmedford
from what you saying, i would leave it alone. and see if you can get a starter borrow
no starters to borrow from the one person I know haha. Was looking online, and I can only find 1.4kw starters online I thought I saw 2.0 before but can't now... any that you recommend?
also, should I try the 24v to the starter?

Last edited by EZ_Glide; 01-24-2024 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2024, 01:32 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ_Glide
no starters to borrow from the one person I know haha. Was looking online, and I can only find 1.4kw starters online I thought I saw 2.0 before but can't now... any that you recommend?
also, should I try the 24v to the starter?
if I were you I would run the 24v and start the bike . Once it starts you will feel real good. just make sure you only run the 24v to the starter alone and no where else

The following users liked this post:
EZ_Glide (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 01:36 PM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by paulmedford
if I were you I would run the 24v and start the bike . Once it starts you will feel real good. just make sure you only run the 24v to the starter alone and no where else
I read the message before about how to run 24v to it, so battery is currently in my bike all wired in. I take my jumper cables, go pos from bike to neg on lithium battery then pos on lithium to the starter somewhere? I was confused on where on the starter. I have a pic of the cables I saw going to starter
also what cables should use to go from 2nd battery to starter I don't have other cables so need to get something or may have another set of jumper cables

Old 01-24-2024, 01:42 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,045 Likes on 1,857 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ_Glide
didn't touch master or slave on the bike, only took primary and all that off... i can drain the fluid no issue, should I? I did it last year and year before as it do it yearly. It's still real hard to pull clutch in after it warmed significantly and I've never had this issue in past winters. I have no problem pulling primary apart now as I do think I messed up that final drive nut that goes on outside the basket and plates and all that. But I don't think that would effect the clutch lever?... I'm not sure.
Fluid should be ok then, it's been flushed recently enough,
You say the clutch pull is real hard, as in too hard to ride it? I'd start by measuring the pressure plate movement, can remove derby cover and measure, but you'd need a dial indicator, should be about .085,

To tighten the clutch nut, remove the pressure plate, put in 6th , you should be able to hold it with the rear brake, tighten to 70-80 ftlbs

Your starter smells like fire?
I wouldn't be afraid of a good used one

, check Ebay

paulmedford (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 01:43 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain

you only need two cables ( one pair of jumper cables) . You must remove the wire in the top of the picture ( disconnect the ground of the bike battery when doing any wiring.) so remove the nut and wrap that wire in a cloth or something to insulate it. Then on the bare threaded part where the nut was you put the jumper cable coming from the positive of the lithium..make sure it doesn't touch anywhere except that threaded part.. The other cable from the jumper cable pair is what goes from the negative of the lithium to the positive of your bike battery

Old 01-24-2024, 01:51 PM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser

Fluid should be ok then, it's been flushed recently enough,
You say the clutch pull is real hard, as in too hard to ride it? I'd start by measuring the pressure plate movement, can remove derby cover and measure, but you'd need a dial indicator, should be about .085,

To tighten the clutch nut, remove the pressure plate, put in 6th , you should be able to hold it with the rear brake, tighten to 70-80 ftlbs

Your starter smells like fire?
I wouldn't be afraid of a good used one

, check Ebay
Just so I'm correct before I dig, if I put it in 6th and hold rear brake that clutch basket and everything won't spin? On the oem one, I could tighten the nut through this ring that held the plates in and prevented it from moving but this one has a plate like in pics

Old 01-24-2024, 01:52 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain

send a pic before you put on the negative of the bike battery

EZ_Glide (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 02:01 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,045 Likes on 1,857 Posts

You have to pull the red plate off
yes step on the brake, you may need someone to help

Last edited by Schex; 01-24-2024 at 03:45 PM.
EZ_Glide (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 02:31 PM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser

You have to pull red the plate off
yes step on the brake, you may need someone to help
yea that's what I was so confused when installing... the original ring that holds the springs allows you to tighten nut without it spinning. I'll have to redo this as I know it isn't torqued to spec. Then will move to sending 24v to the starter if I need another I'll get another just want to make sure this starts

Quick Reply: Testing for Spark on M8 touring