Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Testing for Spark on M8 touring

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 06:21 PM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by paulmedford
did it start after this?
this was all done at once along with engine

Old 01-23-2024, 06:26 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ_Glide
this was all done at once along with engine
oh boy. but once in neutral when you crank is the rear wheel turinng?

Old 01-23-2024, 06:31 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain

for the 24V. take one jumper cable and put it from the positive of the bike battery thats already wired and hooked up in the bike, and put it to the negative lithium battery, the positive of the lithium take the cable and run it to the BARE TERMINAL of the starter where the original battery 12v cable from the bike was attached. So it must be disconnected and wrapped in a cloth to prevent grounding.

Old 01-23-2024, 07:01 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,010 Likes on 4,063 Posts

And blow out all the electronics.. Regulator etc.. I would not bump start it. I'd fix it

The bigger the starter, the bigger you battery you need. You'll need to upgrade the cables. If the starter is bad, get the same sized starter or go up one size. Going 2kw is only going to cause more problems down the road. Believe me I know..

You still have some problem. It may be the starter but what gauge cables are you using to jump the auto battery. How are you hooking it up.

Old 01-23-2024, 07:08 PM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser

@paulmedford @Max Headflow getting a couple varying opinions here... going to make dinner, clear my head tonight and get back at it tomorrow. But some progress was made. Can we all say, the engine itself should be good for now?

Old 01-23-2024, 07:09 PM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser

@Max Headflow I had same auto jumper cables as I did before when it was sparking and cranking well, the big typical car ones

Old 01-23-2024, 07:34 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain

@paulmedford @Max Headflow getting a couple varying opinions here... going to make dinner, clear my head tonight and get back at it tomorrow. But some progress was made. Can we all say, the engine itself should be good for now?
Engine good to go! go relax, you almost there, you made a lot of progress, the starter is toast from the vid so don't give up !!!. @Max Headflow You won't blow the regulator if you run 24v to the starter isolated remember that's ONLY for the starter its not feeding back into the main wiring system, risky if you don't have the experience I know lol, but Ive done it many times. But I agree its a last resort.

Old 01-23-2024, 07:37 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain

@Max Headflow I had same auto jumper cables as I did before when it was sparking and cranking well, the big typical car ones
so by doing this:
1) you ruled out battery
2) you got spark ..so electronics good
3) I saw gas fumes coming out the plug hole so your timing is good
4) double check the coil writing soo the correct plug is firing the correct cylinder
5) your starter maybe gone. either way with that upgrade you need at least the 1.4KW

so rest up you did good ok!

Old 01-23-2024, 07:49 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain

only thing bothering me is WHY the back wheel is spinning when you cranking??????? that should not be if you in neutral's, you might get a little turn in neutral , but it looks like if its in gear still........that would hold back the starter.

Old 01-23-2024, 07:49 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,010 Likes on 4,063 Posts

Here is my opinion.

I take it that you have a car battery sitting on the floor and used it to turn the motor over. It seemed to turn over well with the plugs out but with the plugs in it labored? You still need to look at voltage drops while cranking.

You can try and charge the stock AGM, install it and use the car jumper leads and extra to add more current but you still need to see what the voltages are when cranking. You may think you've got plenty of current when you don't.

I've had my own share of issues after building a 131 ci 10.3 to 1 twincam.. It started with a brand new weak battery and 2kw starter. I tried a second 2kw starter. I eventually blew the starter clutch after a few ring gears. Currently running a 1.75. It actually works better but can still stall..

One think I'd also do is fix the clutch if it's not right. Heck if there is something wrong with the clutch basket, it may be the reason why the starter is having issues.

The following users liked this post:
Fat11Lo (01-24-2024)

Quick Reply: Testing for Spark on M8 touring