Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Testing for Spark on M8 touring

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 12:19 PM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Well that ain't good. Hit 6.5v while cranking

Old 01-23-2024, 12:23 PM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser

I'll go to harbor freight quick and grab a load tester, which fuse is the lights that I should pull? P&a? Don't think I saw anything with just lights

Old 01-23-2024, 12:56 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,009 Likes on 4,062 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ_Glide
I'll go to harbor freight quick and grab a load tester, which fuse is the lights that I should pull? P&a? Don't think I saw anything with just lights
Technically, the lights should be shut off by the BCM while cranking.. Don't know why they didn't go out in the vid unless they are something else that got wired in.. You might want to simply drag the battery to a autoparts store and have it load tested. Ask for the CCA.

Old 01-23-2024, 01:05 PM
Since 1968
Road Master
Received 458 Likes on 304 Posts

So that video was with the battery that Autozone says load tested 'good'? With both ends of all battery cables removed, cleaned up, and reinstalled, and a known good battery you should get it cranking over properly. Nobody seems to post problems with the M8 starters, but I guess that might be the next place to look. I wondered if maybe you mis-indexed your cam such that the battery was struggling to overcome the compression, but you got 130psi. With a good battery and connections I think it's going to start, and I think you'll get a higher compression reading when you can spin it over more quickly. After you see how it runs you can decide whether to pull the heads and re-seat the valves, hopefully won't be needed.
Thanks for sharing all the details. I am laid up short term and living vicariously through this adventure....

The following users liked this post:
EZ_Glide (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 01:05 PM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Technically, the lights should be shut off by the BCM while cranking.. Don't know why they didn't go out in the vid unless they are something else that got wired in.. You might want to simply drag the battery to a autoparts store and have it load tested. Ask for the CCA.
it does 'say' 500cca on battery and I did have them 'test' it as well at autozone which it just told them it was a good battery but this is the original battery when I bought the bike. Have a lithium as well that won't even crank it but haven't tried that since the very very start. Returned the other new agm battery I had as I thought that wasn't the issue

Old 01-23-2024, 01:09 PM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Since 1968
So that video was with the battery that Autozone says load tested 'good'? With both ends of all battery cables removed, cleaned up, and reinstalled, and a known good battery you should get it cranking over properly. Nobody seems to post problems with the M8 starters, but I guess that might be the next place to look. I wondered if maybe you mis-indexed your cam such that the battery was struggling to overcome the compression, but you got 130psi. With a good battery and connections I think it's going to start, and I think you'll get a higher compression reading when you can spin it over more quickly. After you see how it runs you can decide whether to pull the heads and re-seat the valves, hopefully won't be needed.
Thanks for sharing all the details. I am laid up short term and living vicariously through this adventure....
when I verrryyyyy first had this issue on first attempt at start up my first though was the starter wasnt strong enough to get it to spin (my thought was this is a new, high compression engine maybe I need a stronger starter than oem original). IIRC they were around 3-350$? Could try that but want to be sure before blowing that amount
and yes this is battery autozone said is good

Old 01-23-2024, 01:21 PM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser

Video of DMM while it was cranking hit 6.3v I saw

Attached Files
File Type: mp4
20240123_121839.mp4 (13.55 MB, 17 views)
Old 01-23-2024, 02:13 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

hook the two batteries up in parallel to get more reserve. Or hook them in series to the starter alone ,you must disconnect the 12v from the starter terminal and then hook the 24V to the starter terminal.and then brach 12 to the mains. Dont do this unless you have done it before. That would make use of those two batteries you have there. Keep trying you are almost there!!!!!!

Last edited by paulmedford; 01-23-2024 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2024, 02:16 PM
EZ_Glide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by paulmedford
hook the two batteries up in parallel to get more reserve. Or hook them in series to the starter alone ,you must disconnect the 12v from the starter terminal and then hook the 24V to the starter terminal.and then brach 12 to the mains. Dont do this unless you have done it before. That would make use of those two batteries you have there. Keep trying you are almost there!!!!!!
I have never done that before. And I only have one agm and one lithium battery at moment was wondering if I need to get another battery?

Old 01-23-2024, 02:20 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

use your car battery and use jumpers , with your battery in. but don't start the car

Quick Reply: Testing for Spark on M8 touring